Arthritis

Quercus

My old Lab has started to be troubled with artritis. The vet has prescribed anti-inflamatory tablets but also suggested that some of the alternative type treatments might offer some relief. Has anybody had any experience, either good or bad, with things like herbal/homeopathic remedies, copper chains etc?

Q :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen your post. I had a dog which was on anti-inflammatories for several years for arthritis and I was very concerned. I was a total sceptic on alternative therapies but my vet was sure it was worth a try. My dog had acupuncture and you can't flog the results with an animal. I was warned it wouldn't work for all dogs, it wouldn't 'cure' the problem but it should help.

It was dramatic. His whole demeanour changed and it was quite obvious he had been suffering much more than I had thought. The symptons had onset gradually and I put his inactivity down to his increasing years but......

The initial treatment was fortnightly and then went down to monthly and the cost was almost exactly the same as the drugs - both incidentally were covered by my insurance (Petplan). My dog really looked forward to his treatments and within almost seconds was fast asleep on the surgery floor. The acupunture was also supplemented with glucosamine tables which I am sure helped long term.

I have opened my mind and have seen homeopathy work for other conditions as well but acupunture really worked for arthritis in my dog. Make sure your vet recommends someone to you and good luck.

My Springer suffered with arthritis in later years.

We did try a copper collar and a herbal infusion that she drank (I can,t remember the name).

Neither seemed to have any effect, although it is difficult to tell.

The main improvement came with a prescribed course of Glucosamine.

I wish I had tried it earlier. :P

Well thanks to you guys I bought a product called SYN-Flex this has Glucosamine and other products in the formula,

I have been giving my old Lab a dose each day for a week now and he's bouncing about like a pup already, :D

no moans and groans when he is getting up in a morning either.

and best of all i have been giving my old lady the same product as she suffers badly from Arthritus in the neck/ spine (too many BJ's in her younger days me thinks) :lol::P

Anyway she feels a lot better too and thats only after 1 week of treatment :P

Thanks again

HH

• 3 weeks later...