Bean Stubble

la bala

Had a call from the boy after dinner today, Dad do you want a couple of hours on bean stubble. What could i say, :yes: . When i arrived at the field he was already set up,the hide had bushes behind, and an overhanging tree giving shade from the sun. The bit of wind was blowing across the pattern, not totally by the book, but to get the wind behind would mean setting up in the open. The boy had put out 12 real birds in the pattern, 2 magnets and a flapper. The birds were quite happy with this and were committing from the off. We had a steady stream of birds all the afternnon, no bunches, just twos and threes at a time. We did comment at the amount of young birds still about, i think out of this sessions shooting a good 30% were young birds. Meg was not best pleased she was on a tether most of the time, she just cant get it that she is semi retired :lol: . We started breaking down at about five thirty, I had a great afternoon in some good company, thanks Stu and Meg. And the total 126.

post-52836-0-90060500-1473882987_thumb.jpg

Hot work I would imagine. What an excellent father, son and dog outing.

It was a bit on the warm side JD, and flies were a major problem today, not wanting fresh shot birds lying in the sun, every 4-5 shot were brought into the hide, only problem we had nothing with us to cover them :no: . Wait a minute boy i said, i remember someone saying about laying twigs of Elder leaves on and amongst dead pigeons to keep off the flies. Off i went and gathered some Elder leaves, came back and covered the birds. After about quarter hour, the boy said cant you remember who told you about the Elder twigs, i replied i couldnt remember why?, The boy said well you could take those twigs to them and shove them where the sun dont shine. :lol: