Youngs rooks

ollie

Ollie,

Best time to shoot flappers is in April or May as Elmer rightly says depends when they lay. This depends on weather conditions.

The two rookeries I shoot vary from year to year, Last year I was shooting flappers in late April the year before in mid May.

Best time to take them is when they are high in the trees excercising their wings (Flapping) prior to fledging proper. Pick your shots with care as they can easily be left lodged in the branches below or in the nest.

But Dont be tempted to take to many, I normally cull about a third of the largest rookery, ( 50 plus pairs) which manages the rookery for years to come.

Dont discard the carcasses without removing the sweet breast meat.. Rook pie is a delicacy in these parts.

There is an old shepherds saying which you may have heard..

If the rooks nest High in March the land will parch ( It will be a good summer) Low and Late it'll be a storm till 8. ( bad summer) eight being the eighth month of August.

As you see I am a mind of useless information but I do know some good jokes eh..?

FM.