Alliant Steel & Blue Dot

Hi Guys, I'm still very new to this reloading lark and have been using SSB 150 because this is what was available when I started. I have just managed to buy some Alliant Steel & Blue Dot for the first time ever :yahoo: can anyone share any loading data for these powders?

I want to load both steel and lead in 12g 3" and 3 1/2" duck & goose loads for the foreshore.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys, I'm still very new to this reloading lark and have been using SSB 150 because this is what was available when I started. I have just managed to buy some Alliant Steel & Blue Dot for the first time ever :yahoo: can anyone share any loading data for these powders?

I want to load both steel and lead in 12g 3" and 3 1/2" duck & goose loads for the foreshore.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don't be using LEAD on the Foreshore

6.5x55SE thanks for your warning :good: but I live North of the boarder so it's still ok to shoot with lead on the foreshore, that said, I'm being a really good boy these days and I'm trying to convert to non toxic loads.

North of the border or not it's still illegal to use lead shot on the foreshore!

Panoma1 I'm afraid you are wrong you can use lead on the foreshore, do not confuse foreshore with wetland areas in Scotland.

If the above is going to open up a new topic for debate could a new thread be created, my OP was only asking other home loaders for advice on Alliant Loading Data

Edited by alistairm

Panoma1 I'm afraid you are wrong you can use lead on the foreshore, do not confuse foreshore with wetland areas in Scotland.

If the above is going to open up a new topic for debate could a new thread be created, my OP was only asking other home loaders for advice on Alliant Loading Data

And i strongly suggest you read up and clearly understand the Law/Rules regarding shooting Wildfowl

Where I often shoot the depth of the sea never falls below 6m at low tide, this is quite common on the North West coast, everywhere else I shoot e.g. firths and estuaries I always use steel, anyone reading my OP properly would see I shoot both steel & lead.

Thanks to the LEAD POLICE the purpose of this thread is now dead as the proverbial (lead shot) Dodo :no:

Where I often shoot the depth of the sea never falls below 6m at low tide, this is quite common on the North West coast, everywhere else I shoot e.g. firths and estuaries I always use steel, anyone reading my OP properly would see I shoot both steel & lead.

Thanks to the LEAD POLICE the purpose of this thread is now dead as the proverbial (lead shot) Dodo :no:

And i asked Polity where OK Location.

Where EXACTLY on the West Coast ( foreshore ) of Scotland are you using/allowed to use Lead.

Please as possibly us English Fowler's and many Scottish Fowler's are missing something !!!!

Yes no problem! I will tell the whole world my favorite shooting spots so they can be turned into another Findhorn Bay :welcomeani:

Now your being silly. I would not expect any Good fowler to name x Creek or but egg i shoot the Wash area England but have shot many places along the west coast of Scotland in some Islands.

So again I'm very interested in knowing the area as you could possibly be educating myself and others

Sadly you are incorrect, lead cannot be used for wildfowl on the foreshore anywhere in the UK under the eurasian waterfowl convention regs which the UK signed up to in the late 80s or 90s. so I suggest you stick to the correct sort of shot forthe location

Guys I didn't really want this subject debated, I have read the legislation applicable to Scotland and I do know what ammunition I should use at certain shooting venues.

grahamch QUOTE "Sadly you are incorrect, lead cannot be used for wildfowl on the foreshore anywhere in the UK"

"The Scottish legislation differs from that in place in England and Wales. It follows a habitat–based approach as opposed to a combined species/site restriction. For example, in England and Wales it is illegal to shoot any duck or goose with lead shot, or to use lead shot on a specific published list of SSSIs. In Scotland, shooters will continue to be able to use lead shot to shoot species such as duck, geese, game, pests or clays as long as this does not occur on or over wetlands".

Guys I didn't really want this subject debated, I have read the legislation applicable to Scotland and I do know what ammunition I should use at certain shooting venues.

grahamch QUOTE "Sadly you are incorrect, lead cannot be used for wildfowl on the foreshore anywhere in the UK"

"The Scottish legislation differs from that in place in England and Wales. It follows a habitat–based approach as opposed to a combined species/site restriction. For example, in England and Wales it is illegal to shoot any duck or goose with lead shot, or to use lead shot on a specific published list of SSSIs. In Scotland, shooters will continue to be able to use lead shot to shoot species such as duck, geese, game, pests or clays as long as this does not occur on or over wetlands".

you cant get much wetter than the foreshore???

can someone work this out;

“Protecting Waterfowl from Lead in Wetlands”
- A Practical Guide to the Lead Shot Regulations in Scotland

2.3 For the purpose of the Regulations, “Wetlands” are defined by reference to Article
1(1) of the Ramsar Convention4 with further explanation of the terms “peatland” and
“temporary” wetlands. It should be stressed that the Regulations do not
implement the Ramsar Convention, but simply use the recognised
Ramsar definition of what constitutes a wetland. Article 1(1) of the Ramsar
Convention states:
“For the purposes of this Convention wetlands are areas of marsh, fen, peatland
or water, whether natural or artificial, permanent or temporary, with water that is
static or flowing, fresh, brackish or salt, including areas of marine water the depth
of which at low tide does not exceed six metres.”
2.4 This Ramsar description of wetlands is developed into a more detailed classification
of the wetland types included under the Convention, which can be found at: http://
www.ramsar.org/key_ris_types.htm.
2.5 Regulation 3 states that for the purposes of the Regulations only, “temporary” in
relation to wetlands mean wetlands which are covered with water on a seasonal,
intermittent or regular basis, and “peatlands” means only peatlands with visible water.
Types of wetland habitats likely to be covered by the Regulations are set out below.
3. TYPES OF WETLAND COVERED BY THE REGULATIONS
As outlined above, the Regulations are based on the definition of wetlands used by the
Ramsar Convention, the International Convention on Wetlands, to which the UK is a
signatory. The Regulations use this definition, emphasising that they apply to wetland
habitats where standing or flowing water occurs.
We list below particular circumstances where we consider the Regulations apply.
3.1 Marine and coastal
wetlands
Marine waters less than six metres
deep at low tide and all areas
between the mean upper and lower
spring tide marks. This includes
beaches, saltmarshes, estuarine
intertidal areas and lagoons.
Coastal areas above the high water
mark, such as sand dunes where
there is standing water (in dune
slacks for example) are also