Is there any true need for plastic wads?

I'm struggling to see why, other than with steel carts where there is no choice, anyone uses plastic wad cartridges. It seems to me that with the better fibre cartridges and a little more choke the days of slinging plastic into the environment should be over.

Felt/fibre wads produce more noticeable recoil and they most definitely don't suit all competition barrels such as overbored or even apparently 3" chambers if an article I read a few years ago is anything to go by.

Over the years I have shot a few fibre through various guns both at pigeon and mainly clays and invariably hated them ,there is just something about them which is inferior to plastic.

Finally lets be absolutely serious about the littering aspect :hmm: plastic wads are visible and large enough to be collectable where the need exists, the lead shot itself spreads all round the countryside and is nearasdammit there for keeps yet nobody seems to worry about that ?! I once worked out an average shooter chucks several tons of it round in a lifetime :yes: .

I've just spotted this Thread. I was going to ask about a good hard hitting fibre wad cartridge to recycle my beretta semi auto. Fibre wad lack the punch to recycle a new gun but many grounds insist on fibre for Practical Shotgun so that's a problem right there. Many years ago a shooting magazine article was doing the rounds at my local club. It concerned an experiment that fed, in a controlled way, the plastic wads to cattle. No ill affects were felt by the cattle, they passed though their system. This of course was no good when trying to persuade the farmer who wanted to move our club. We moved. Being somewhat cynical, I can foresee a future study that proves that fibre wad is also a danger to the environment.

I've just spotted this Thread. I was going to ask about a good hard hitting fibre wad cartridge to recycle my beretta semi auto. Fibre wad lack the punch to recycle a new gun but many grounds insist on fibre for Practical Shotgun so that's a problem right there. Many years ago a shooting magazine article was doing the rounds at my local club. It concerned an experiment that fed, in a controlled way, the plastic wads to cattle. No ill affects were felt by the cattle, they passed though their system. This of course was no good when trying to persuade the farmer who wanted to move our club. We moved. Being somewhat cynical, I can foresee a future study that proves that fibre wad is also a danger to the environment.

Strangely people say that fibre kicks more than plastic.

"Being somewhat cynical, I can foresee a future study that proves that fibre wad is also a danger to the environment."

I doubt it.

No good.

It says " Beretta: For optimum long term performance from your new beretta semi auto, please use only medium 32g or high powered cartridges during the initial running in period. Lower powered cartridges, and especially those with felt wads, may not produce sufficient gas pressure to cycle the mechanism ".

Sorry about the photo ......anyway that's what Beretta states.

I regularly shoot at Griffin Lloyd shooting ground. The sporting layout is over 21 stands and there are sheep in most of the fields. You can see the plastic wads around them as they are grazing. They will just nudge the plaswads aside but I am sure they will chew on fibre wads.........

Whilst I see your point that does not stop the wads being around for the next 1000 years.

It's about the bigger picture, if you were throwing plastic bottles around a field you would be in the wrong but leaving thousands of plastic wads in OK?

Whilst I see your point that does not stop the wads being around for the next 1000 years.

It's about the bigger picture, if you were throwing plastic bottles around a field you would be in the wrong but leaving thousands of plastic wads in OK?

I would say obviously,as one is illegal and the other is not.

Is it illegal for me to throw some empty plastic bottles around my own fields?

Hell no.

I used to do it with big Fanta ones filled with water because i couldnt afford an American Football ball thing.Could never get it to spin though and had to stop because the old fella said the sheep might choke on them,so i went back to shooting plaswads everywhere and we were all happy again.

On that note,what has throwing water bottles about your own field got to do with plaswads? :hmm:

"Whilst I see your point that does not stop the wads being around for the next 1000 years.

It's about the bigger picture, if you were throwing plastic bottles around a field you would be in the wrong but leaving thousands of plastic wads in OK? "

I wouldnt think you would be in the wrong if you were throwing plastic bottles around your own field.

Think you were a wee strange and not awfy right though.

Edited by sako751sg

I was

Hell no.

I used to do it with big Fanta ones filled with water because i couldnt afford an American Football ball thing.Could never get it to spin though and had to stop because the old fella said the sheep might choke on them,so i went back to shooting plaswads everywhere and we were all happy again.

On that note,what has throwing water bottles about your own field got to do with plaswads? :hmm:

Just making the point that I would not litter my place with plastic bottles or plastic wads.

I was

Just making the point that I would not litter my place with plastic bottles or plastic wads.

Aye,i see your point.

We had a wee 70 acre place and shot over it for near 30 years,and literally tons of lead and many thousands of plaswads were put over it but it was never an issue for us.If we came across a wad it was picked up but never went out of our way to do so and can say it wasnt littered with them.

Obviously some shoots are different where sustained banging over the same place is done and should be addressed.

Fibre wads only on my perm ,its a sheep farm and it what the farmer wants.I use either my Winchester sx3 or Hatsan and both happily cycle all day with fibre 70mm Hull superfast and Eley pigeon 70mm .Both are 28/29g so dont know what Beretta,s problem is.

A laudable approach.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Hell no.

"Whilst I see your point that does not stop the wads being around for the next 1000 years.

It's about the bigger picture, if you were throwing plastic bottles around a field you would be in the wrong but leaving thousands of plastic wads in OK? "

I wouldnt think you would be in the wrong if you were throwing plastic bottles around your own field.

Think you were a wee strange and not awfy right though.

Not even Dan Marino could get a Fanta bottle to spin - no laces!

Not without a Hail Mary anyway....

I found with fibre wads, I was clattering more clays! I put this down to a more loose pattern, due tithe lack of shot cup! Velocity down a little too, but not by a huge amount!

You would think that, fibre wads using NATURAL materials, would be cheaper to produce! Over plastic which needs chemically created? Now with the new fibre shot cup wads! Even steel shouldn't be too much of an issue either. Still fancy trying the fibre cups on a lead shot, and pattern test them.