Remington 17hmr split case's

Anybody had many problems with split case's purchased a slab of 500 had aload of them split after firing and even had one fire and jam in barrel please it only went in a few mm when ejected emptied case came out head jammed was that sick of problems with them I called into a local gun dealer explained problem he said to check all ammo for splits before using so got home got all ammo out and checked couldn't believe it had 380 bullets and 73 was split easy to say I had 100 split out of the 500 so I have sent 2 emails to Remington and never had a word or nothing back they just don't care.

Please take this with a pinch of salt as I might be well out of order.

I had the same problem some time back but not to your extent. I had no jams and no splits after firing but I segregated those that were split (about 10% of what i had left after spotting the splits) and pooped them off. They had the same spread as the 1/4 choke in the my shotgun - it was missing a fox at sensible range and seeing the fall of shot at its feet that brought this to my attention.

As these were the most accurate in my rifle, I stuck with them and have had no problems what-so-ever since. On those grounds, I suspect that you may well have been sold some older stock.

One point, you may well be told that one manufacturer loads all of this calibre. With the exception(s) that prove the rule, this may well be the case. However, no one yet has been able to answer the question when mentioning this fact (?) which is, to whose specification do they load - their own or their individual customers'?

Disagree, never had a spilt case in my life. The calibre has definately got its uses!

:lol::hmm::hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

With all due respect you have either just bought it or need to look harder!

I rate HMR and I have a use for it, but split cases happen with all brands/types, even though CCI is responsible for making most brands!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

The new Winchester varmint HV are supposed to be improved I've read. Although I haven't had a bad round anyway in the winchesters, but I've had hagnfires, splits and bullets stuck about an inch up the barrel with quite a few other "brands". As I understand it, only the winchesters aren't made by CCI? I've had a good run recently though with the Winnie's, I'll stick with them while they're reliable, but how long for, who knows?

I had a chat about this problem with one of the Mr. Hornadys whilst attending IWA in Germany a couple of years ago.

He confirmed that CCI load all 177HMR regardless of the branding.

Despite expanding their production facility Hornady were too busy to load HMR which is their load.

webber

Edited by webber

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a new winchester 9417 and 600 rounds of Hornady V Max with teh red plastic tips a few years back.

While the flat shooting little bullet is great when it is behaving well, and most do, I had a great many which jammed in the chamber and could not be easily got out. Some I could pry out with my car key into the breach, one or two, I had to knock out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod. I got REALLY sick of this, and I am just coming to the end of my 600 rounds. I mainly use 22LR and keep the 17HMR for longer shots on wily rabbits usually.

I paid a lot of attention to cleaning the breach to try and lessen the problem but the beggars would still jam quite randomly. Sometimes I'd get twenty rounds through before I got a stuck one, but other times it would happen on the third round fired in a spotless gun. In the end I got to thinking it had to be the ammo. Some of the jammed cases were split after firing at the neck, other stuck ones were not split and looked a tiny bit bulged at the transition from main case to neck. The breach pressures seem to be very high for such thin brass and maybe causes distortion

Edited by Evilv