4 bore loads

washman

190 grains tpph, reverse cup wad, wool felt wad, wrapped with visqueen-double if itm. 1250 9ft from muzzle

Sounds about on the money ! Are you using a deakin cup maker ? My mate made mine on a lathe out of bucket pins off a digger ! I've been cutting milk cartons up and using them for a barrel protector for itm.

Sounds about on the money ! Are you using a deakin cup maker ? My mate made mine on a lathe out of bucket pins off a digger ! I've been cutting milk cartons up and using them for a barrel protector for itm.

Yes indeed the Deakin type tools and I bought a roll of visqueen from eBay like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171077982336

Has I have said many times in different forums black powder and plastic do not mix they are the worst combination to ruin a gun with barrel ripple which I have seen many times.

enclosed are the old standard coarse black powder loads for big bore guns using felt and card wads

4bore x 4inch case =9drms black powder 3.1/4 oz of shot

8 bore x 4.1/4 case =8drms " " 2.3/4 oz shot

8 bore x 4 case =7.1/2 " " 2.1/2 oz shot

8 bore x 3.3/4 case =7 drms " " 2.3/8oz shot

8 bore x3.1/2 case =6.1/2 drms " 2.1/2 oz shot

8 bore x 3.1/4 case = 6 drms " 2.1/8 oz shot

Feltwad

When you say wrapped in visqueen . How do you mean?

Ok so load as follows... Insert primer, insert powder, insert card cup wad, turn upside down and push cup down onto powder, turn right way up again and insert card followed by felt wad followed by another card, then shot and wrapper as Mr. Stevens says

HI IN MY FOUR I USE 2 DRAMS TO THE OZ OF ITM, OF MEDIUM BLACK POWDER, THEN THE DEAKIN CARD CUP WHICH I FIND GOOD. A CARD THEN FELT WAD THEN ANOTHER CARD,............! THE WRAP I USE DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF SHOT IS A COKE OR LEMONADE BOTTLE CUT INTO STRIPS, THE HEIGHT DEPENDS ON WHAT LOAD YOU USE. AND THEN WRAPPED IN SIDE THE CASE A COUPLE OF TIMES.

FOUR BORE.

HI IN MY FOUR I USE 2 DRAMS TO THE OZ OF ITM, OF MEDIUM BLACK POWDER, THEN THE DEAKIN CARD CUP WHICH I FIND GOOD. A CARD THEN FELT WAD THEN ANOTHER CARD,............! THE WRAP I USE DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF SHOT IS A COKE OR LEMONADE BOTTLE CUT INTO STRIPS, THE HEIGHT DEPENDS ON WHAT LOAD YOU USE. AND THEN WRAPPED IN SIDE THE CASE A COUPLE OF TIMES.

FOUR BORE.

Its surprised me how many folk are still out using four bores, nice to see the enthusiasm has not died yet !

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...