Domestic threat accusations- guns taken by police- advice needed

Sad times fellow PW readers,

Last Thursday police Scotland turned up at my wife's work, hauled her out, interviewed her, took her home and got her to search the house for my cabinet keys. Took the keys and removed all my guns. Asked where my cert was- she didn't know. I was out of the house at the time, driving north for a holiday with our daughter at my parents house And had my cert with me in the car glove box.

What is known;

1) allegation put to my wife only- anno caller claimed I had threatened to shoot our family cats and he / she concerned about safety of wife and child.

2) police later turned up at house for a second time demanding again to know where cert was at 2am! Wife by this point knew I had it with me some 150 miles away up north and told them this, then she had a panic attack!

3) police in my parents area arrived the ollowing day at 9:30 at their house and lifted cert from me.

4) wife told police that i have not been a threat to cats or child or her, or that she feels threatened.

5) wife did explain we have had relationship issue and that she left with daughter after heated argument some 6 weeks ago but returned with 5 days.

6) wife confirmed to police that anno caller was correct In saying that I had said I would shoot our cats, ( I know I did not say such words during any arguments)

7) wife has since told me she is unsure of what I exactly said during heated argument about the cats as she was emotional.

8) wife is going to correct what she told police about my supposed threat to cats- and explain # 7.

9) police were alarmed to discover a third gun I was not register to hold, supposedly.

10) has since transpired that I correctly sent the notification of this 3 to gun to them 2 years ago- but they did not process this. ( I have emails and proof of recivial from them- which I have forwarded on to them)

11) police woman Who lifted my cert from me said their system showed I held 2 shotgun Certs- not true- prob due to when I was first issued with my sgc they incorrectly provided me with a license end dated 2 years from issue- instead of 5! when I notice it one year after issue; they provided a fresh cert from year 2 to 5- obviously not cancelling the old cert- hence I apparently have 2!

12) wife cannot find the cabinet keys- cabinet is locked up but wife doesn't remember being give back the keys- this is worrying as I have some other valuable items in there and no key to access them.

13) wife also told them I'm stressed at work and drinking 2 beers every night- evidence of empty bottles in kitchen (gin) and recycling 1 months worth of wine and beer- raised a few eyebrows!

My ask- what does PW think likely outcome will be? Am I totally screwed given the circumstantial evidence and the 2 sources confirming my apparently murderous intentions towards felines! (Which I completely refute).

You experience of similar he said she said instances grateful appreciated.

Cheers. E

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi yes I'm a me,bet of BASC- first thing I did was call them just before police arrived to collect the cert, they are going to sit in with me when I'm eventually called in for re interview to assess my suitability to get my sgc back.

BASC wouldn't give indication on likely hood of success- understandably.

I just wanted to know if other PW members have experienced similar domestic events and what the outcome was.

BASC tell me in Scotland they deal around 2-3 cases a week like mine so not uncommon.

it doesn't sound like your wife has done you any favours with her answers regarding the cat incident and mentioning stress and drinking, maybe you should visit these areas in your life first and see whats what

I agree.

I have a feeling that you may need to work these issues out way before you even consider trying to get your guns back.

Short term you are ****ed with a big spiky stick sans lubricant! Long term you'll get your guns back but you're going to have to fight. You haven't been convicted of anything and I assume you're not about to be. The wife hasn't helped your cause and they may play the stress/depression/drinking card. Contact BASC ASAP and get yourself a clued up shooting solicitor.

A former colleague went through a similar situation relating to a domestic dispute a few years ago.. As others have said leave it to your advisers/legal representative.

Keep calm and try and understand why the police have taken this action and above all tell the truth as you believe it to be.

My colleague was at a low ebb in his life, his wife was cheating on him and she was also drinking heavily . It came to a head in a heated argument at home when he said something threatening in the spur of the moment which was overheard by a neighbour

He did have his certificate and guns returned but only very recently after lengthy psychological profiling . Conversely he is a very well respected professional.

Good luck.. I hope you can reconcile your marital differences too.

Sounds a very over the top reaction but seems to be the way now unfortunately.

Wether u threatened to shoot cats or not does it really matter? Ur cats not breaking any laws by shooting them as long as killed cleanly (and i'm not advocating or encouraging any one to do any harm to cats) but there is no offence committed.

Doing the right thing speaking to Basc

Regarding the cat comment - strange one that the original allergation has originated from an "anonymous" source and seconded by your partner - possible explanations are

1) You DID say it and were overheard saying it but as you are 100% sure this is not the case it only leaves option 2.

2) The "anonymous" caller and your partner are either working together on this one or are the same person.

Sorry to say this but if I were in your shoes, getting my guns back would be the least of my worries.

Sadly, I have to agree with Katash.

I think the OP is fighting a losing battle at the present time. His wife appears to have confirmed what an anonymous caller has alleged, but isn't true. Very, very odd.

The logic in taking an SGC on holiday, whilst leaving the guns and keys at home is beyond me. This raises a further serious issue.

I think the OP is fighting a losing battle at the present time. His wife appears to have confirmed what an anonymous caller has alleged, but isn't true. Very, very odd.

The logic in taking an SGC on holiday, whilst leaving the guns and keys at home is beyond me. This raises a further serious issue.

This and point 12. If they are your guns, why would your wife not remember being given the keys 'back'??

She should not know where the keys are anyway, never mind have control of them!!

Edited by 955i

get real. there's nothing wrong with taking your ticket anywhere whilst leaving your guns and cabinet keys in the saftey of your own home. How this would be an issue is beyond me.

no chance. If I go on hols and take my ticket and leave my guns locked up and keys very well hidden at the same address it's all above board. I'll place a lot of money on that.

Does anyone left know where the keys are?

I don't get why people who have a 2 gun cabinet don't just put one key on their car keys. Then there are never a pair together without you.