17 grn bullets in 17 rem

Dougy

I have not seen or used those but I have a few 15s and some 17s left over which were given me. They are custom made but the same loads would be were to start. I was using 24g of H322 for both but to be honest I could not see the benefit in going down to 17 or 15 over the 20gr or to be honest 25gr. My experience with the smaller bullets in the 17 Rem was that although I killed a fair few rabbits and squirrels with them the light bullet seemed to leave un burnt powder in the barrel and failed to fully expand the neck. Might be I could have used another grain of powder but that load was accurate. Great bullet in the HMR but my view maybe too light for the 17 Rem size case and I have been shooting that calibre since 1986.

Try them and see if you experience the same. ALWAYS REMEMBER NOT TO COPY OTHER SHOOTERS LOADS ... GO 10% DOWN TO START AND WORK UP BE SAFE

Don't bother. Not a long enough bearing surface, nor rated for greater than hmr speeds.

Your shots will likely string and velocities be all over the place. Hornady do make a 15.5gn NTX bullet which, I believe, is also non toxic but good luck finding those here!

I think you would be surprised what they can do in the 17 hornet. The last time I saw the guys running them on saubier they shot as well as the 20's with a touch more speed. Don't get me wrong, the 20's are a better bullet but the little guys will still shoot and make a great rabbit bullet. Also, the price was tough to beat on the little vmax when they were clearing the overstocks. The soft points at 5.50/100 above are worth a try too.

Rick

Edited by casts_by_fly

Right then,

I tried some and to be honest they were not too bad, room for improvement but because of the issue with speed with the 20 grain (my other post in reloading section 4900fps) I packet up shooting.

Velocity wise I got 3650 and 1.25 inch group 3 shots. at 100yds