Trophy hunter sky news

Cookie69

Don't want to get into the debate about trophy hunting.

The 1st thing that stood out for me during sky's report this morning was the so called professional hunter.?

Walking through the bush with a shotgun, at no time did I see it broken ?

At one point Carrying it closed and over his shoulder ???

You carry a gun like that on a shoot you would be kicked off .

I'd have thought carrying it closed and ready to shoot was a wise move with dangerous game about.

And it was probably a double rifle rather than a shotgun. You can't break a normal rifle, so why would he?

Edited by walshie

It would have been a double rifle and not a shotgun, and I'd want it closed and ready with potentially dangerous game about.

The 1st thing that stood out for me during sky's report this morning was the so called professional hunter.?

There is nothing wrong with carrying a shotgun closed and loaded. Gun handling and safety are the main reasons for being unsafe. I get that it isn't the done thing here and yes, if there isn't one in the chamber then it is impossible to have an accident. At the same time, I can see why the 'rules' have been put in place in this country. There isn't the same basic gun handling course required to shoot like there is in other countries. For instance, in the US all states require a hunter safety and education course before you can buy a license to hunt. You learn gun safety and how to carry a loaded gun. Given the way that most small game is shot in the US, carrying a loaded gun is required. When you only have a fraction of a second between the flush and the bird or rabbit being gone, you have to be quick. And when you might not be able to see the hunter that is 20 yards from you due to cover, you have to be safe. That means good gun handling and good communication. And it works just fine.

Thanks

Rick

So we don't have our shot guns loaded and closed on a walked up shoot in this country ?? I think that walking through the bush on a hunting trip

you would need to have your gun loaded and ready, but we all fall into the same media trap when we see something on the TV we see it and believe

it without all the known facts.

Just to alarm some people even more, when I lived out in Africa I knew a PH who had his dangerous game doubles built without a safety catch as when he needed it he needed it in a hurry, and when tracking or working in close cover it would be closed and loaded. The trick is never to point it in the wrong direction.

David.

Edited by Kalahari

Just to alarm some people even more, when I lived out in Africa I knew a PH who had his dangerous game doubles built without a safety catch as when he needed it he needed it in a hurry, and when tracking or working in close cover it would be closed and loaded. The trick is never to point it in the wrong direction.

David.

I never use the safety on ANY of my guns; either shotguns or rifles. They're either broken, unloaded or ready to go.

I can understand why people use safeties but they're no substitute for safe gun handling or muzzle awareness in my opinion.

Even when on my own I never have a round in the chamber in a closed gun; it takes a fraction to either close a shotgun or draw back the bolt on a loaded magazine.

Dangerous game is an entirely different matter of course.