Sport Hurts

Bradders

Found this on the Kent Messenger web site.....

Kent Messenger Dog Fish

Got me thinking, have any PW members had anything similar happen.

I was hit on the shoulder and side of the head when a shot pheasent came down and I didnt see it coming, knocked me right off my feet.

So has anyone else "suffered" in then name of our sport......

I heard of a tragic case a few years ago, a guy from Switzerland was over here shooting driven pheasants, his wife (who was pregnant) came along to watch, she sat on a dry stone wall behind the guns.

Somebody killed a bird that came down, hit the woman and knocked her backwards over the wall.

She broke her spine and was paralyzed from the neck down, she also lost the baby, very sad.

Cat.

There was a letter in Shooting Times last season about a chap who had been minding his own business sitting in an open-topped trailer, waiting to move off for the next drive on a shoot, when he was knocked unconscious by a partridge flying out from over a hedge. IIRC, the letter said the partridge was probably flying at 30mph when it connected with this guy's swede. The kamikaze partridge died, and the Gun was laid out cold.

Cat - That is tragic :o

My wife b*ggerd her knee by falling in a ditch when beating once - surprised by a pheasant getting up.... I got the pheasant :stupid: but had to miss the rest of the day to take her to A&E :good: Would have called an ambulance to take her but no signal on the mobile :)

My daughter and I had a pigeon hit us in the arms; got her more than me. But I don't know if this counts ; we were doing 80 mph up to Donnington Park to see the GP when it happened!

Her leather was stained dirty grey/white from the feathers and she had a nasty bruise for a while.

Been attacked by certain things in certain traps before ranging in size from magpies to foxes (squirrels are the worst). Also got attacked by a large rat a few weeks ago when looking for a dead pigeon. It ran and jumped at me then started running off when my boot went whizzing past its head... needless to say it was stopped by 32g of no.6 shot before it reached its hole.

Not quite sure why it felt the need to attack me but i bet it wishes it hadnt now. May have been a territorial male or a mother with little of babies nearby

George, I think I may speak for many on here, but 32grms for a tree rat may be concieved as a trite too much :lol:

LB :good:

when I was a keeper I set a snare on a railway sleeper that crossed a stream, using saplings to narrow the walkway.

Doing my trap rounds the next morning the snare was gone along with the log I had attached it to and despite casting around for over a hundred yards I could find no sign of either. A good half a mile away across a ploughed field was a small spinney in which I had two tunnel traps in as well as another snare. I found the log still tied to the snare and a very angry badger that had tried to go to ground in a rabbit hole. I called up another beat keeper over the radio and he pulled up, put his foot on the badgers neck to see if he could release the snare and decided it best to cut a forked branch before doing so. As he walked away I put my foot on the back of brocks neck and wham ! he turned round and sunk his teeth straight through my boot and into my toes.

To cut a long story short he returned with the branch, spent several minutes laughing and summoning the other keepers while I was listening to a badger growling with my foot in its mouth. The badger let go only when the snare was released and trotted off none the worse for wear. I had several jabs and a whole season of having the mickey taken. And a right royal telling off for seting a snare in such a stupid place.

:yes: I saw bionicle get hit in the face bya headless pigeon!!!!! pricelss!!!! He let it get so close that when he shot it it had no head...very messy!!!

i have been bitten by an adder that i sat on while fishing and have had some nasty laceration from big pike :whistling:

I suppose one of the worst things I have been bitten by was one of my false water cobras!!! :good:

Been attacked by certain things in certain traps before ranging in size from magpies to foxes (squirrels are the worst). Also got attacked by a large rat a few weeks ago when looking for a dead pigeon. It ran and jumped at me then started running off when my boot went whizzing past its head... needless to say it was stopped by 32g of no.6 shot before it reached its hole.

Not quite sure why it felt the need to attack me but i bet it wishes it hadnt now. May have been a territorial male or a mother with little of babies nearby

George, I think I may speak for many on here, but 32grms for a tree rat may be concieved as a trite too much :lol:

LB :lol:

I use 36gRott's on them :whistling::good::yes:

They are tough, and need to be brought down cleanly. I dont fire many a day.. maybe 15-20 tops on a good day. My estate take a LOT of squirrel control, sometimes im out every day bagging 5-6 for a month in a row :D

I was climbing over a gate, slipped and caught my wedding ring on the gate. Bent to ring and broke my finger (open fracture). Had a gun in my hands at the time.

Ooooo *cringe* thats GOT to hurt

Had many near incidents when crossing barbe wire.. I now use an alternative method when its to high to cross safely :(

Benny almost got me with a well placed pigeon the other day whilst I was shooting the second of the pair!! :good:

Also, done the ring on the fence thing myself at work, didn't break a finger...just was left hanging with my feet dipping in the river below! :yes: Hurt mind!! :whistling:

There was a guy on local shoot round here two or three seasons ago that when it got to the last drive he packed up midway through to watch the guns down the line shoot as nothing was coming over him. Gun next door shot this partridge that decided to drop in the direction of the guy who had packed up early. Thought he'd be clever and put his hand out to catch it one handed. Ended up with a very badly broken hand :whistling::good: .

That'll will teach him to be so cocky. My mate shot a pheasant on one of our syndicate's drives last season that landed very neatly at the feet of the neighbouring gun. naother foot or two closer and it could have been nasty.

SS

Wasn't hurt myself, but:

At an evening we were hunting some ducks near a river, my car was parked in the middle of nowhere.

After shooting some ducks and getting darker we decided to stop and went back for the car. On our way I heared a duck coming from behind on a good hight, my shooting partner said it was to high. I was convinsed I could hit it and that was what I did! The wounded duck came lower and lower to hit the front window of my car perfectly. Costs 350£!!

Was out at a farmyard last May with the 410 looking for rats when a cock pheasent struted into the yard from the field next door. At first I thought he hadnt noticed me as it was a sunday and there was no one else arround but he then proceeded toward me and began attacking me jumping and flapping at my face and upper body. I had to use the gun to fend him of and there were some scratches on the stock would post a pick but have since sold the gun. Had to make a very undignified retreat down the lane running most of the way with him close behind. I realise writing this how rediculous it sounds but its the truth :whistling:

Was out at a farmyard last May with the 410 looking for rats when a cock pheasent struted into the yard from the field next door. At first I thought he hadnt noticed me as it was a sunday and there was no one else arround but he then proceeded toward me and began attacking me jumping and flapping at my face and upper body. I had to use the gun to fend him of and there were some scratches on the stock would post a pick but have since sold the gun. Had to make a very undignified retreat down the lane running most of the way with him close behind. I realise writing this how rediculous it sounds but its the truth :whistling:

Seema a bit callous to laugh at your misfortune but i have a mental picture of the scene and I am pi**** myself laughing......chased down a lane by a demented pheasant.....as visa would say.....Priceless :good:

As he walked away I put my foot on the back of brocks neck and wham ! he turned round and sunk his teeth straight through my boot and into my toes.

Ouch!! I know badgers have a bad bite...that's got to hurt!

I was convinsed I could hit it and that was what I did! The wounded duck came lower and lower to hit the front window of my car perfectly. Costs 350£!!

Funniest one yet!!! :whistling::good::yes:

I dropped a canada on a mates feet last year, only bruising but if it had hit him on the head?

years ago I caught a 10lb pike knocked it on the head, (mates mum liked to eat them) an hour later as I went to take the plug out (as I had lost my disgorger) the pike bit me, still very much alive.

A few seasons ago I shot a wigeon and when I went to pick it up found my mate slumped in a creek trying to get his breath back, the wigeon had hit him in the back and winded him.

Who needs a dog? :whistling:

years ago on a pistol range. I was using an auto with a new trainee policeman alongside me, he was using a single shot pistol - couldn't be easier keep it pointing down range all the time to; load, cock by pulling hammer back, aim, fire but he loaded then turned the gun sideways to cock but let go of the hammer sending a round past my head. Never trusted police with guns ever since.