Anyone on here own a .17 Winchester Super Magnum?

jam1e

hia sorry for hijack, mine was £695 for heavy barrel thumb hole but ammo £22-50 a box so all much of a much really, have been shopping around ready for guns return and on the back of a purchase of some .308 hornady TAP i have some wsm coming down next week about £18. a box, a new shipment has just hit edgars. cheers boys

Going on the rip-off price of the ammo, i presume you got the ammo from the Bromsgrove RFD? I only mention it as they quoted me that.

Where possible i go elsewhere. Mainly due to a previous **** service and rude owner/s. Having said that, the blokes who are employed there are great. I just don't like the "lucky dip" situation whenever i go in....

I also bought 800 rounds when i picked my gun up, so i should be ok for a while.

Edited by jam1e

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going on the rip-off price of the ammo, i presume you got the ammo from the Bromsgrove RFD? I only mention it as they quoted me that.

Where possible i go elsewhere. Mainly due to a previous **** service and rude owner/s. Having said that, the blokes who are employed there are great. I just don't like the "lucky dip" situation whenever i go in....

I also bought 800 rounds when i picked my gun up, so i should be ok for a while.

Thought that price was a bit dear... I could get a box of 50 remmy in 223 for that... I like the idea of it but I'm not sold on it yet... keep us updated 👍

Thought that price was a bit dear... I could get a box of 50 remmy in 223 for that... I like the idea of it but I'm not sold on it yet... keep us updated

I haven't bought one for the financial side of things, but i appreciate some pest controllers will need to. No probs ref keeping you posted.

well boys and girls, got THE phone call to say the gun is back with story about mix ups and so on and how terribly sorry edgars are, didnt reply to my tweets though,

i will collect mon 14/11/16 in the am and at the first opportunity il be out after a good inspection

look forward to a positive write up. but saying that could cost me a few quid lol

The basic gun was £650, with the thin barrel and cheap nasty stock.

The target version, with the heavy stainless barrel, and laminated thumbhole stock was £750. Ammo in Hornady 20grain V-max head is £1795 per box of 50.

Got the price of the ammo out by £1.00 a box, it's £16.94, yet at Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove, they want £22 a box! Talk about taking the ****, A fiver more a box! Even on 200 rounds, (4 boxes) that's an extra £20! Dream on Suckers!

cheers bumpy22, yes not riten off yet, i really want it to work in theory it would wipe out ammo purchases of hmr .22 and reduce .223, will see, by for now, cheers

Keep us posted Spartan1three, it will be interesting to see how they resolve the matter....

Going on your barrel being around 2" shorter than mine. It would be good for the both of us to do a back to back, and see what the fps difference is.

Not sure where you are, but it would seem you're close-ish to me. So if you fancy doing that, drop me a pm and we can have an hour or 2 out on one of my permissions and see what the results are at various distances..

Cheers

Jamie

hi all as promised, the wsm so far, yep got it back measured barrel properly= 22" my bad rushing with a tape measure and guessing as the gun was handed over for crown issue.

so gun returned mon, mag glass out, crown looked more like de bur to me but worse was the brass deposits on the chatter appeared very pronounced inside barrel from the assumed guide bush used, still 1" dot 100 yrds my group 1 1/2" mates group for second opinion a tad over 1 1/4", still not happy so gun returned to dealer explained we had moved on from 2" at 65yrds but the point is my cz hmr gave me 3/4" at 100yrds and this is pretty bad saying the wsm is 3000ftps it should be sub moa at least or whats the point!! so gun replaced with no quibble what so ever, so 10 out of 10 to him, i am now sat in the lounge typing after looking in the end with the mag and small light source and the new gun has a ok looking crown, but the chatter is worse quite pronounced in the lands and grooves of the flutes/sorry rifling, so out of frying pan fire etc, this is my first experience with savage and i have to say im not impressed boys, any way tomorrow im booked into the tunnel 100yrd indoor range to let off steam with the .308 remi which gives a very pleasing 1/4 to 1/2 moa with 168 grain ammo so il take the new lemon along for the ride and see how it shoots, jam1e how is yours shooting mate also do you have chattering off the button? as my forum research shows there are a lot of savages like it 10s 11s out there but some shoot .5 .6 so im not sure what to make of this, any way if it dont shoot mora im giving up on it and waiting to see what the ruger 77/17 wsm can do when it gets here eventually. talk later

hi all as promised, the wsm so far, yep got it back measured barrel properly= 22" my bad rushing with a tape measure and guessing as the gun was handed over for crown issue.

so gun returned mon, mag glass out, crown looked more like de bur to me but worse was the brass deposits on the chatter appeared very pronounced inside barrel from the assumed guide bush used, still 1" dot 100 yrds my group 1 1/2" mates group for second opinion a tad over 1 1/4", still not happy so gun returned to dealer explained we had moved on from 2" at 65yrds but the point is my cz hmr gave me 3/4" at 100yrds and this is pretty bad saying the wsm is 3000ftps it should be sub moa at least or whats the point!! so gun replaced with no quibble what so ever, so 10 out of 10 to him, i am now sat in the lounge typing after looking in the end with the mag and small light source and the new gun has a ok looking crown, but the chatter is worse quite pronounced in the lands and grooves of the flutes/sorry rifling, so out of frying pan fire etc, this is my first experience with savage and i have to say im not impressed boys, any way tomorrow im booked into the tunnel 100yrd indoor range to let off steam with the .308 remi which gives a very pleasing 1/4 to 1/2 moa with 168 grain ammo so il take the new lemon along for the ride and see how it shoots, jam1e how is yours shooting mate also do you have chattering off the button? as my forum research shows there are a lot of savages like it 10s 11s out there but some shoot .5 .6 so im not sure what to make of this, any way if it dont shoot mora im giving up on it and waiting to see what the ruger 77/17 wsm can do when it gets here eventually. talk later

ps boys new ammo source came in at £17-00 a box of so just need a gun to shoot it straight, cheers

hi, back from tunnel,perfect shooting conditions cold but ok, zero wind, first up .308 and new TAP ammo confirmed zero with new ammo and adjusted accordingly and prove we can still shoot, then on to wsm2, even worse than wsm1, can anyone tell me how to upload pics to this forum page please,

as a point of interest i have had feelers out for days through people in the know and a gun builder rfd mate emailed me this evening saying abroad people are finding it takes 300 rounds plus to bed it in apparently ?, but they pointed out the guns would give an inch at 100yrds even in a wind, and i should think so with quarter second flight times, the chattering in the barrel would be the main concern and sounds like a bad batch, this wouldnt be the first time either with savage but calling it a target rifle does tend to take the pee somewhat, interesting info i feel, you guys with them, have you A got any chattering and B hows the grouping please

Judging by the response to the OP's original question, you can only expect one possible reply.

Don't really want to show my ignorance but as I've never heard of it, what's "chattering" could I ask?

Have you been shopping Langport way by any chance?

hia chattering is a general term for marks left in the bore when the reamer button skips or chatters on its way through, they appear as lines or tiny steps in the bore more often in the first and last inch of it running at right angle to the bore, basically **** craftsman ship and very poor quality control

hi, back from tunnel,perfect shooting conditions cold but ok, zero wind, first up .308 and new TAP ammo confirmed zero with new ammo and adjusted accordingly and prove we can still shoot, then on to wsm2, even worse than wsm1, can anyone tell me how to upload pics to this forum page please,

as a point of interest i have had feelers out for days through people in the know and a gun builder rfd mate emailed me this evening saying abroad people are finding it takes 300 rounds plus to bed it in apparently ?, but they pointed out the guns would give an inch at 100yrds even in a wind, and i should think so with quarter second flight times, the chattering in the barrel would be the main concern and sounds like a bad batch, this wouldnt be the first time either with savage but calling it a target rifle does tend to take the pee somewhat, interesting info i feel, you guys with them, have you A got any chattering and B hows the grouping please

Interesting post. I'm not particularly worried, as i trust Dauntsey Guns to do the right thing if i have a "Lemon"...

I was shooting bang a 1" group after around 70-80 rounds, at 100 yards. And from memory, that was a 7 or 8 shot group...I don't recall what the 150 yard groups were, but not too bad from memory. Although i don't recall the 200 yards group being that great. And although it wasn't any more than 4 to 6 mph gusting, i would hazard a guess, that at 200 yards, and a 20 grain bullet, i was never going to do too well anyhow?? By all means, the pro's out there please correct me...

I've been eager to get out with it again, but if it's not been the rain, it's been the wind!!

spartan, would i be able to see this "chatter" with a basic small magnifying glass from the muzzle end? The proof is in the shooting, but, i'd still like to see if i can make out any marks....

Cheers.

Interesting post. I'm not particularly worried, as i trust Dauntsey Guns to do the right thing if i have a "Lemon"...

I was shooting bang a 1" group after around 70-80 rounds, at 100 yards. And from memory, that was a 7 or 8 shot group...I don't recall what the 150 yard groups were, but not too bad from memory. Although i don't recall the 200 yards group being that great. And although it wasn't any more than 4 to 6 mph gusting, i would hazard a guess, that at 200 yards, and a 20 grain bullet, i was never going to do too well anyhow?? By all means, the pro's out there please correct me...

I've been eager to get out with it again, but if it's not been the rain, it's been the wind!!

spartan, would i be able to see this "chatter" with a basic small magnifying glass from the muzzle end? The proof is in the shooting, but, i'd still like to see if i can make out any marks....

Cheers.

that sounds good news, word is its unlikely to better an inch by much, but hell id be pleased to see that, pinged u a message with email for pic exchanges etc, yes you should be able to see chatter, i use a jewelers monocle as it lets me get closer in great for spotting burs and oddity's trick is light source coming in to illuminate the face of the bore your looking at, if you have it you wont miss it also type it into google images and o ye, of the three rifles at my dealers one has it to one side, the other mostly on face of lands and this one is in grooves as well, but glad to hear your ringing an inch, but i suspect i have no chance with mine

hia chattering is a general term for marks left in the bore when the reamer button skips or chatters on its way through, they appear as lines or tiny steps in the bore more often in the first and last inch of it running at right angle to the bore, basically **** craftsman ship and very poor quality control

Many thanks.

hia boys do not now how to post pics here sorry but both guns returned to dealer and fully refunded, pics from the indoor range stunned him and he took a copy to batter the savage rep with, i feel a bit sad as the round seems to hold great potential, a new variation is away and i will be awaiting the CZ version, points to consider, why why did savage who were in this from the off with winchester so front row development seat, make the Bmag target with boyds stock, fully float the barrel all the customer has to do is scope it and shoot it, hell it doesnt even need a mod, but to put a duff barrel on it and even worse allow a batch of duff barrels to go out on there flagship uk model defies belief or they just dont care and hope the speed will cover it, i am hoping to ping some pics to another member so as to warn others hopefully, those of you with good barrels, enjoy, the rounds a cracker, out of 128 fired one had a primer issue so rotated to get fire and one had slight damage to shoulder out the box so not used and decommissioned, no splits, all a great shame really savage could have nailed this market, no vision.

hia boys do not now how to post pics here sorry but both guns returned to dealer and fully refunded, pics from the indoor range stunned him and he took a copy to batter the savage rep with, i feel a bit sad as the round seems to hold great potential, a new variation is away and i will be awaiting the CZ version, points to consider, why why did savage who were in this from the off with winchester so front row development seat, make the Bmag target with boyds stock, fully float the barrel all the customer has to do is scope it and shoot it, hell it doesnt even need a mod, but to put a duff barrel on it and even worse allow a batch of duff barrels to go out on there flagship uk model defies belief or they just dont care and hope the speed will cover it, i am hoping to ping some pics to another member so as to warn others hopefully, those of you with good barrels, enjoy, the rounds a cracker, out of 128 fired one had a primer issue so rotated to get fire and one had slight damage to shoulder out the box so not used and decommissioned, no splits, all a great shame really savage could have nailed this market, no vision.

sorry to hear this mate. hope the cz version comes good. look forward to hearing a review on that

That's a crying shame.

all one can say is, watch and weep:

that is impressive. if only they were all like that and not the c**p our man has just sent back. sounds a very capable round from that review

Yep, it must be said.

Accepting the fact that all ballistic figures/calculations must be taken with a pinch of salt until they're proved in the field, I'd run some figures for another member to his specifications. Quickly changing his spec' for mine, I was a tad surprised to say the least. Working to the max' range that I shoot the Hornet and using the zero range that would suit my needs, the only difference worthy of any note regarding trajectory - drop/drift - was a 1/2" advantage for drop at 200 yards with the 20g and 1/2" disadvantage with the 25g bullet - which in real terms is neither here nor there. Energy-wise, of course, the Hornet at that range was still carrying more than twice the grunt as the WSM no matter what bullet weight of the two.

As my range limit is set by my own ability together with the size of our local fields, it's food for thought.

I am a little concerned myself. Despite my wsm grouping at 1" at 100 yards consistently!! The 150, and 200 yards are far from that. I'm hoping with more rounds through it, and a calm day, i can achieve far better results at that distance. (If we ever get a calm day obviously..) As that was the whole reason i bought it!! Otherwise, i could have carried on with my .22 wmr!

Would i get any idea of how good the rifling/bore is, and if there is any "chattering" by having it bore scoped? And is thier a bore scope small enough for a .17?? Lastly, having never had one, what would be the cost of the bore scope br? I've no idea who is well know around my way to be trusted to do it? Maybe Norman Clarks? Any opinions on who, or Norman Clarks??

Cheers

Jamie

Out of interest, is it possible to use a finishing rifle barrel reamer to correct the "chattering" issues? Or is not viable due to cost, or logistics?

Edited by jam1e

Hopefully these pics will come out ok.

They're of spartan1 three's pics taken from his defective .17 WSM Rifle.

Tunnel%20shot.jpg

Tunnel. Location of test.

tunnel%20308%20group.jpg

.308 Win groups, shows he can shoot straight!

2%20poor%20groups%20of%20wsm.jpg

x2 terrible .17 WSM groups!

pic%20of%20poor%20crown%201.jpg

A poor looking crown.

close%20up%20crown.jpg

The .17 WSM crown that looks terrible to me!!

Edited by jam1e