Anyone on here own a .17 Winchester Super Magnum?

jam1e

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully these pics will come out ok.

They're of spartan1 three's pics taken from his defective .17 WSM Rifle.

Tunnel%20shot.jpg

Tunnel. Location of test.

tunnel%20308%20group.jpg

.308 Win groups, shows he can shoot straight!

2%20poor%20groups%20of%20wsm.jpg

x2 terrible .17 WSM groups!

pic%20of%20poor%20crown%201.jpg

A poor looking crown.

close%20up%20crown.jpg

The .17 WSM crown that looks terrible to me!!

Sterling job on the pics jam1e mate, thankyou for getting them out there

sorry doubled the pics on quote my bad boys, but ye absolute garbage, as said words just dont cut it the pics do, new variation is in for .17wsm again as clearly gunsmith issue not the fault of the round, thanks for your responses, not to chuffed that neither savage or edgars responded to tweets, i also had a man stood next to edgars gunsmith senior the other day when they were down here filming and emailed pics, as yet no response, still got the 22lr 223 and a bitching 308, onwards and upwards boys or is it smile and wave, cheers

A question for the "smiths" out there...

Reference the picture below. Discounting the very poor muzzle finish. In the rifling i can see cross section lines. Is that a natural process made by rifling a barrel, or if this also evidence of poor rifling?

Thanks.

Jamie

my%20copy%20of%20wsm%20crown.jpg

Edited by jam1e

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the imput, but it's not my rifle, it's a picture of one of the bad rifles spartan ended up with. I've tried to look inside mine, but just don't have a camera good enough to to check. Believe me, i've tried, i just don't have the equipment.... :unhappy:

Here is a pic of a Button rifling machine in the Savage factory from my visit there in 2011, take a look at the link for 45+ more........

well I would if I could post a link :-(

as you can see boys if its not kept in check and monitored for ware it can vibrate hence the chatter, not usually in the middle unless its really screwed but first and last inches are the danger areas typical mass production with very little batch quality control, the yank forums will scare you to death this sort of **** is common place

Not being a 'smith', other than by name, I haven't a clue but if you gave the barrel a soak with some copper solvent and then a good scrub with a PB brush and then had another look at least you'd know whether it was not, shall we say, permanent.

the chatter is in the steel set there during manufacter hence taring the copper bud,

From what we've been told and shown and also from what I've picked up elsewhere, it's looking very much as though the rifle in the video clip I posted had been 'blueprinted'. On the face of it, this is a potential 150 (plus some, perhaps) fox rifle which means it'll do for 90% or so of the foxes shot in the UK. However, unlike a CF which has some spare grunt to offset a less than perfect shot placement, the WSM is very much reliant on accuracy. Well, that puts the Savage out of the lineup. The Ruger, with its 5lb 7oz pull is, apparently even worse, with the trigger getting the blame and looks like being over £1000 and probably well over by the time it washes up ashore here. This just leaves the CZ!!! Anschutz, where are you?

For me I've all but given up on the 17rf rifles. If it's not the ammo it's the manufacturing process of the rifles, both are obviously lacking QC.

Unfortunate, but I see them now as inaccurate and incapable. The guy in the clip twitching in his pants because he was lucky enough to put 3 shots into 3/4 of an inch.

After reading this thread and seeing the photos I thought I would have a look at my rifles. 308 sako lovely rifling and crown (as you would expect) 22 anschutz again all looks good

243 cz 550 spot on and even the cheapest 22 cz455 had no sign of any chattering or burrs even looked at my 357 ruger service six and and 32 h&r (after cleaning the gunk out) and no marks on then ether the only one that didn't look 100% was the rossi 357 and that was nowhere near as bad as the photos!

From what we've been told and shown and also from what I've picked up elsewhere, it's looking very much as though the rifle in the video clip I posted had been 'blueprinted'. On the face of it, this is a potential 150 (plus some, perhaps) fox rifle which means it'll do for 90% or so of the foxes shot in the UK. However, unlike a CF which has some spare grunt to offset a less than perfect shot placement, the WSM is very much reliant on accuracy. Well, that puts the Savage out of the lineup. The Ruger, with its 5lb 7oz pull is, apparently even worse, with the trigger getting the blame and looks like being over £1000 and probably well over by the time it washes up ashore here. This just leaves the CZ!!! Anschutz, where are you?

good points wymberley, looks like i will be sticking with the 223 and the Vmax for the naughty varmints, ruger noted, roll on cz

the ruger trigger is easy sorted....I have one in 17 hornet and love it

Yep, it seems that there's already a roaring trade in WSM replacement units. I just don't see why when one has to pay something north of £1000, they couldn't get it right to start with. Having said that, is there not some legislation about this in the States? Fortunately, my No 1 in 22 Hornet is acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...