Boar in the UK

rascal_2005

Hi guys

Been watching alot of stuff lately about boar in europe and the US and it got me to thinking.

I have only wver seen one and that was a fleeting glimps locally and thats it. I know we have them local in sussex but they are bloody good hiders.

So a couple of questions:

1) have you ever seen one

2) have you ever hunted them

3) what do they taste like (iv had farmed boar meat.but never wild)

Thanks guys

John

Yes, i have heard about them in the forest of dean and that the numbers are getting a little out of hand.

The other day i went with a friend to fly his harris hawk , while there the farmer told us that he had boar on the land. So naturaly while we wandered with the bird we had a look for sign, we found a few tracks and a small piece of woodland in the middle of a field that was turned over but that was all.

He told us there are alot there but they normally venture out at dusk or night. Even he is suprised at how easily they can dissapere.

I think they would be a good challenge to hunt, but i bet they can be frustrating as well.

Never hunted one ,but while standing in a trench in the black forest in Germany playing soldiers at 5 in the morning i heard a grunt, i did the "halt who goes there" routine and this boar came running out of some scrub and jumped over my head and was gone,if it wasn't for my mate who was up and saw it and the prints front and rear no one would have believed me.

Also driving through the forest of dean i saw a massive boar staggering down the ditch by the side of the road,he was massive,i stopped 20yds short of him and he squealed and staggered off into the woods,don't know if he was drunk from eating apples,or had been hit by a vehicle,but judging by his size i would have expected to have seen a wrecked vehicle.

Hi guys

Been watching alot of stuff lately about boar in europe and the US and it got me to thinking.

I have only wver seen one and that was a fleeting glimps locally and thats it. I know we have them local in sussex but they are bloody good hiders.

So a couple of questions:

1) have you ever seen one Yes, Many.

2) have you ever hunted them Yes. Very elusive, Vary alert . and unless they didn't churn up the fields ect you wouldn't know that they were around generally. The more you think you know the less you really know

3) what do they taste like (iv had farmed boar meat.but never wild) Young animals are very nice not like supermarket pork more a cross between lamb and beef a bit like venison. To me anyway. Plod / feo will only consider 270 and bigger on application but it is all about shot placement.

Thanks guys

John

welsh that is crazy. i bet the back passage started to go a little ehh??

i wouldn't want to stare one down like that.

I don't know who was more shocked and scared me or the boar :lol: it took a brief moment to realise what it was, I was obviously blocking the path he wanted to go,luckily it wasn't huge , but a fair size,blinking fast and agile i will say that for it

Well, having served in Germany, Boar are widespread but appear not to have the negative impact as in the UK. Spent many a time, running from them on the ranges and hopping on the tanks to get away from them, only to find they had run off in the opposite direction.

What calibre do you need to be sure of dropping a boar?

.243 or .270 was used in Europe, nothing smaller thats for sure

Edited by Pugs

We go to the annual Chasse dinner and it is always wild boar on the spit. Big ones too.

Considering how much 'sign' I see of boar whilst out and about walking the dog and mole trapping I've only seen two in the flesh, both from my vehicle. They cause quite a bit of damage in the maize fields, but otherwise you'd hardly know that they are there. As for being dangerous; the French have an old saying that "The boar will send you home in a handcart while the red stag will send you home in a coffin."

Welsh,

Cough cough, but playing what at 5 in the morning ??? lol. I have this vision of you as a 5 year old in his DPMs waving your tommy gun now ducking from the "charge of the Boar" brigade.

Caliber wise I would choose larger for driven. Static targets give you the chance of better shot placement so smaller cal would be suitable IMO

Never hunted one ,but while standing in a trench in the black forest in Germany playing soldiers at 5 in the morning i heard a grunt, i did the "halt who goes there" routine and this boar came running out of some scrub and jumped over my head and was gone,if it wasn't for my mate who was up and saw it and the prints front and rear no one would have believed me.

Also driving through the forest of dean i saw a massive boar staggering down the ditch by the side of the road,he was massive,i stopped 20yds short of him and he squealed and staggered off into the woods,don't know if he was drunk from eating apples,or had been hit by a vehicle,but judging by his size i would have expected to have seen a wrecked vehicle.

Or possibly shot in the head with a rf , sadly seems to be the in thing at the moment with poachers at the road side now the value of there meat has increased.

Colleague of mine shot one legally and counted 7 .22rf bullets under the skin