Just booked my first driven day

jay404

Hi I have just booked my first dday Ben day at Norton place in Lincolnshire . Have been told it will be a mixed day of partridge pheasant and a duck drive.

What cartridges would you suggest ? I have a few boxes of dark storm 32gram 5 but think they will be overkill if there is such a thing .

Also have some hull super fast 29gram 6 would these be up to the job

And I have never used any steel carts on ducks so have no idea what to buy

Any help will be gratefully received

For duck I would go for gamebore supersteel 32g 4s of if your gun is HP proofed eley lightening in 3s

Either they superfast or dark storm will be ok

Take what you prefer to shoot

Or take both and if you find the birds are good and the super fasts aren't cutting it go to the dark storms

Go buy some Bismuth for the duck and use your Aya N.4. Swapping and changing guns on a shoot isn't a good idea. You need to be relaxed and enjoying yourself not wondering if you have the right gun and the Aya no 4 will handle things if you do no problem. You put bismuth in the right place and you will kill duck no problem. If this is your first driven experience, then keep calm, pick your bird and stay with it. Then pick another. Try to shoot those birds out in front if you can, because that gives a second barrel chance before it gets behind. You only need to watch one or two of the driven bird videos on youtube to see the antics you don't want to be doing. Calm, calculated and stick with that bird ...... I can tell you, that is not easy when you can have ten or fifteen coming at you and your neighbours are banging away.

My best wishes for a great day ....... beware though , it is addictive :yes:

Edited by Walker570

I thought the dark storm would be too much. Think I'm gonna use the super fasts in 29gm 6 as I like those and try get some bismuth what shot size in the bismuth as it will only be one or two duck drives so want to make the most of it

I use 32g no5 bismuth through my no4 and centenary , not too thumpy as its only usually a few shots as you say.

Edited by ElvisThePelvis

The gamebore supersteel in 32g 4s are only standard proof loads and according to basc can be shot through any standard gun and choke.

It is only when you get yo 3" or steel shot over 4mm that it is recommended to use a HP proofed gun and no more than 1/2 choke.

Last year I put over 250 eley lightening in 3s and Bornagi 36g 1s through a Miroku mk60 choked 3/4 & 3/4 that is HP proofed

Do not put steel in the Aya as it is too tightly choked, as stated above use bismuth.

I've just had one of my Aya's taken out to 1/4 &1/2 as all three of them are factory choked at 1/2 & full,

Tempted to do this myself maybe even 1/2 and 1/2 but the guns no showroom winner but I do shoot well with it so it's a catch 22 Edited by jay404

• 1 month later...