Air weapon licence and existing SGC holders

Pugs

Can anybody give me an exact answer on the process required for an air weapon licence (Scotland only) when you are a SGC holder. I know that the SGC will cover the air weapons for 5 years but do we have to add the weapons to the existing SGC or do we have to have a seperate licence, pay £5 and have them put on their own new licence?

Thanks

Edited by Pugs

Think I found what i was asking for (doesn't say a date when the SGC was valid from, so take it anything BEFORE 31st Dec 2016 is ok)

http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/service-fees-and-charges/firearms/air-weapon-licensing/legislation/

WHAT ARE THE TRANSITIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR EXISTING FIREARM AND SHOTGUN CERTIFICATE HOLDERS?

If you are aged 14 years or over and hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun certificate that expires after the 31st of December 2016, you won’t need to apply for a separate air weapon certificate until your existing certificate expires. This allows you to use and possess air weapons but not acquire any further or purchase air weapons.

If you wish to buy or otherwise acquire a new air weapon from the 31st of December 2016, then you will need to apply for an air weapon certificate. A Registered Firearms Dealer would need to see this before any transaction takes place.

When you renew your existing firearm or shotgun certificate, then you can apply for a new air weapon certificate at the same time. You can apply at any time for an air weapon certificate up until the expiry of your firearm or shotgun certificates. If you request your air weapon certificate to expire in line with one (co-terminous) or both of your existing certificates (tri-terminous), you will pay a flat fee of £5.

Edited by Pugs

• If you already have a SGC then you don't need to apply for an airgun license in Scotland until your SGC expires. I decided to get an airgun license anyway, as it only costs £5 and it allows you to change your airguns, which a SGC only does not.

If you have a SGC, FAC and airgun license which are all renewed at the same time, you have a reduced fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong, if you live in Scotland, which is now run by a bunch of flag waving rabid communists, you now need a licence to own or sell an airgun, whether 12ftlb or under.

Of course, if it's over 12ftlb it will already be on your firearms certificate so no change.

Don't worry though, the SNP are unlikely to repeat their election success next time round and so this particular piece of ill-conceived legislation is destined for the bin.

Edited by mick miller

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just bumped up against this as a problem....

Knew I was covered to keep up ownership of my current airgun, but saw an airgun the other day that I took a liking to

Seems I now either wait four years for renewal or pay about £72 for an AWC.

The gun I saw was a rusty mess that is in need of extensive TLC but has been on my wants list for a while...though I'd have preferred a better example.

The Police Scotland website contradicts the law on not acquiring additional airguns without an AWC, as guidance for those in possession but awaiting their AWC is to put any presently owned airgun into legal custody of another AWC holder, an SGC/FAC holder or an RFD.

Makes zero sense! (i.e., we'd have legal access but the owner wouldn't!)