income deductions

kingsy18

I usually work on - 1/3 for a quick ball park figure for a base rate tax payer inc NI contributions

Working it out yearly you would be below the tax threshold (assuming it was your only income) so only liable for NI - as a rough guess you take home would be £714

Edited by ph5172

• 1 year later...

Is it a second income or a sole income? Will make a big difference. 

If sole income it will be below the tax threshold and you pay NI at 12% on anything over £157 a week. 

£720 x 12 months = £8,640 a year / 52 weeks = £166.15 a week. 

So they would take Home - £165.05. 

If a second income and they earn over the tax threshold on the first job they would be taxed at 20% and 12% NI on the full amount - take home if a 20% tax payer - £112.98 a week I believe. 

If they cross over the 40% threshold then it’s more complicated again. 

Also if they have student fees and earn over something like £22,000 then it’s another 9% taken off. 

Also if the person is making pension contributions these will all take it down (although that’s normally before tax is taken). 

I still hold a zero hour contract at a children’s home I worked at, do the odd shift for fun. Get taxes 20%, 12% NI and 9% student loan. 41% deductions, have cut right back on how many shifts I’m picking up as it makes it hardly worth it. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is it a second income or a sole income? Will make a big difference. 

If sole income it will be below the tax threshold and you pay NI at 12% on anything over £157 a week. 

£720 x 12 months = £8,640 a year / 52 weeks = £166.15 a week. 

So they would take Home - £165.05. 

If a second income and they earn over the tax threshold on the first job they would be taxed at 20% and 12% NI on the full amount - take home if a 20% tax payer - £112.98 a week I believe. 

If they cross over the 40% threshold then it’s more complicated again. 

Also if they have student fees and earn over something like £22,000 then it’s another 9% taken off. 

Also if the person is making pension contributions these will all take it down (although that’s normally before tax is taken). 

I still hold a zero hour contract at a children’s home I worked at, do the odd shift for fun. Get taxes 20%, 12% NI and 9% student loan. 41% deductions, have cut right back on how many shifts I’m picking up as it makes it hardly worth it. 

Progressive taxation is a ******. If I pick up extra I pay 40% tax, 3% ni, 9% student loan, approx 8% indemnity, then usually about 4% travel costs. 

Colleagues with kids have an even worse time with thresholds for losing child tax benefits and a few others with losing extra childcare entitlement plus the 60% rate. Unless they can charge like a wounded rhino it makes no financial sense to take on extra work when stuck in paye.

Whilst i I appreciate the logic behind progressive taxation it seems to ramp up far too quickly in the U.K especially when you look at child benefits and become a barrier for many doing a bit more.