Synthetic stock and drilling

winnie2457

After my 1st day out and zeroed at 35yds I realise that the scope that came with it is a bit cheap but I'm looking into a hawke 3-9x50 AO IR mil dot. However I am consistently hitting 10 round groups at a 10p mark at 35yds so first impressions I love this rifle and it shoots so nice considering the bad reviews I've heard from Gamo etc.

My main technical question for you gurus is the fitment of some sling swivels.

the rear swivel I am going to drill a pilot hole in the butt then screw in the swivel I'm assuming this is going to be ok as it's a synthetic stock?

The fore grip grip is a little different as it's quite thin black plastic, now I am going to take off the whole stock and fore grip as its one casting and drill through the fore grip attach the swivel I have got with a washer. will this be sufficient enough for a sling and a bi pod mount as I don't want to mess up my stock etc and ruin it any help or comments would greatly be appreciated or advice on how to do it.

After my 1st day out and zeroed at 35yds I realise that the scope that came with it is a bit cheap but I'm looking into a hawke 3-9x50 AO IR mil dot. However I am consistently hitting 10 round groups at a 10p mark at 35yds so first impressions I love this rifle and it shoots so nice considering the bad reviews I've heard from Gamo etc.

My main technical question for you gurus is the fitment of some sling swivels.

the rear swivel I am going to drill a pilot hole in the butt then screw in the swivel I'm assuming this is going to be ok as it's a synthetic stock?

The fore grip grip is a little different as it's quite thin black plastic, now I am going to take off the whole stock and fore grip as its one casting and drill through the fore grip attach the swivel I have got with a washer. will this be sufficient enough for a sling and a bi pod mount as I don't want to mess up my stock etc and ruin it any help or comments would greatly be appreciated or advice on how to do it.

I've moditifed a few air target rifles, and it had little impact on the accuracy (went better, as the gun was now comfortable to shoot).

These were wooden though.

IF the stock will be strong enough to take the threading for the screw

and IF you don't go through to the barrel, you'd be fine I think but I'd take advice from more knowledgeable people on this forum!

If you are going to touch the barrel, I'd work on another solution

Edited by iano

That's sounds like a plan at least it will spread the load. However I can't do this on the butt end as it's a one piece butt with no access to the inside but I'm thinking just drill slightly smaller than the threads on the swivel stud and mix some epoxy up dip the threads then screw into the hole indrill on the butt. I'm hoping this will be strong enough for a sling, the rifle is not that heavy so it should hold.

The foreend i have ordered a machine swivel screw with washers and a lock it so that should be fine and the butt end I think it will be thick enough to hold a screw type swivel

I can't fit a clamp around the barrel as the gas tank extends out too much then the moderator starts. I think I am going to drill them and see how I get on. They don't arrive till Wednesday so I've got a few days to think. And yes sunny if you could post a pic that would be great. The main reason for the front swivel stud though is for a bipod mount

You'll probably have to do something a little different but it's an idea and at least you wouldnt have done any damage in the process. I've used a couple of leather straps and the sheath from some old climbing rope as the shoulder strap. Pic should upload when I'm back later

Although it's functional I personally would prefer swivels plus I need to fit a bipod mount to mine to which uses the swivel to secure it to. All the parts have came today and I am going to drill tonight and fit them I will upload pics tonight after I've finished. Fingers crossed

• 4 years later...
On 04/10/2016 at 18:47, winnie2457 said:

Here we go drilled and all sorted including bipod fitted took all of 30mins

Swivel

post-77268-0-99841700-1475603159_thumb.jpg

post-77268-0-03303500-1475603170_thumb.jpg

post-77268-0-53865500-1475603188_thumb.jpg

post-77268-0-32935700-1475603244_thumb.jpg

How did you find you get on with the rear stud being the the butt is hollow? I have the Gamo GX-40, I've fitted the front but slightly dubious about fitting the rear. 

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.