Newbie advice needed.....

Well, I've got the decoys, hide, seat, cushion etc etc, and now it's time for me to venture out for the first time, which I am hoping to do later this week, weather permitting. I have permission for quite a wide area, from the landowner, not the tenant farmers, and I have a choice of shooting over stubble, a freshly drilled field, or just grass.

I just want to ask 2 things - during a bit of recon it seems that there are, or at least were at the time, pigeons around the drilled field and the stubble. The stubble is not a problem, but is it a good idea to set up decoys and shoot on a field where new, young crops are just coming up ? Especially as there is a big sign up at the gate saying to keep off the freshly planted field

Secondly, is there anything you experienced guys know now that you wished you'd known when you were starting ??

Any advice you can pass on will be gratefully received , Cheers...

Well, I've got the decoys, hide, seat, cushion etc etc, and now it's time for me to venture out for the first time, which I am hoping to do later this week, weather permitting. I have permission for quite a wide area, from the landowner, not the tenant farmers, and I have a choice of shooting over stubble, a freshly drilled field, or just grass.

I just want to ask 2 things - during a bit of recon it seems that there are, or at least were at the time, pigeons around the drilled field and the stubble. The stubble is not a problem, but is it a good idea to set up decoys and shoot on a field where new, young crops are just coming up ? Especially as there is a big sign up at the gate saying to keep off the freshly planted field

Secondly, is there anything you experienced guys know now that you wished you'd known when you were starting ??

Any advice you can pass on will be gratefully received , Cheers...

1. if that were the case there wouldnt be Pigeonwatch
  2. the thing about pigeon shooting is..."if you think you have found the answer, then yo are wrong , cause the pigeons have changed the question"... :lol:

a couple of years ago someone put a post up on here about "migrating pigeons"......it (i think) ran to 20 or so pages and several hundred thousand words from various erudite contributors............no one agreed on why they did migrate.....the proberly the most correct answer was they liked to go on holiday !!

the best advice i can give you is

• watch the birds and their flightlines....and i mean WATCH....not look at them
  • go out there and make the mistakes everybody else has made
  • keep pulling the trigger
  • optimism
  • enjoy being outside
  • learn what goes on in "your patch"
  • find out where they are coming from

thats just for starters

best of luck.............

Stick to shooting the stubbles! If there's a sign asking to keep off newly planted fields then keep off. If you don't you are quite likely to lose the permission in my view.

Remember that you won't attract pigeons to an area they are not favouring already. Sometimes it's possible to slow them down enough to shoot them if you set up under a flightline.

A strong flightline will have birds going in both directions.

GH

hello, plus 1 for the above 2 posts and just start with the thought that it is learning as you go and there are lots of good pigeon shooters on here to help you, :welcomeani: to PW, have a look for this book, pigeon shooting by archie coats a bit out dated by todays modern pigeon gear but still worth a fiver

I have just had my second outing decoying so, like you,just starting out. All the advice in the above posts is great advice. You will find all the info you need on PW.

I think the best bit of advice is get out there and give it ago. My second outing,i got 18.