20bore...less kick

My other half is struggling with her silver pig 20b, after suffering a shoulder injury a few years back the kick of the gun is hurting her, She's used my semi 20b but the silver pig fits her perfect so really want her to be able to use it.

We have a local gunshop who deals with RC cartridges, any RC cartridges that are really soft?

Any advice appreciated. Not something I have ever worried about or had to think about, kick is kick, I dont feel much difference between loads

My partner has the same gun and she shoots Gamebore 21g or express of the same load also gets rely sometimes but they tend to kick a bit more she says.

I would suggest get a mixture and see what she is most comfortable with.

Also has a gel pad which goes in her sleet vest.

When I hurt my shoulder I found my Beretta DT10 a little heavy. I used my Beretta 687 with two important changes. Firstly, I fitted a Beretta MicroCore pad, secondly I used 21g loads, Hull Pro Twenty or Eley Amber.

The recoil pad was superb, transforming the gun, especially compared to the standard wooden butt plate, the combination of light loads plus a good pad made the gun very comfortable to shoot. My scores were the same, or better, than my usual DT10/ Eley Vip Sporting combo.

Usual disclaimers, no interest in Beretta other than as a happy customer. The Micro Core pads really are very good.

Edited by DrBob

RC are a kicky cart due to the powder and loading they use. Much better with a known soft recoiling cartridge with a lower shot weight. As others have said the Beretta Micro core really is very good my last Beretta came with one and the difference is very noticeable

Check the fit of her gun and her mount as most guns don't fit the slighter build of females very well. Tried my wife with lots of over and unders but she prefers a cut down 12bore SXS as its light and with a leather slip on but pad and 21g CompX not much recoil.

Edited by figgy

Many times we read about recoil and guns kicking like mules ect. Is it possible that she and a lot of people just haven't got gun hold and mount sorted out. One of my son in laws was getting battered about the face and shoulder until we realised that he was the other eye dominant and was compensating by looking across the gun and turning his body. We told him to close the left eye, turn back more square to the target and make sure the butt was mounted correctly and not out on the bicep. The result has been that all of the shoulder and face beating issues have gone and he now knocks down many more clays than he ever did.

I have a shagged back and use eley amber 21's in my medalist, apart from being a 13 stone skinhead and them being in a pink Box with a photo of a girl on I do very well, 7 pairs in a row at agl is miles better than I ever did with my 12g silver pig and 28g carts

So your shagged in the back and a skinhead who shoots Pink girls cartridges, Hello Right said Fred :lol: didnt know you were a shooter.

I too had shoulder problems which ended in an operation. Although I am now back to shooting my Beretta 303 12 bore, I did start back with my Beretta 20 bore which weighs in at 6lbs. 3ozs. I had an Isis recoil pad fitted and can not praise them highly enough, I started with 21gram Elet CT's but worked my way up to 28 grams, all without recoil issues. I have settled on Hull 25 gram for all my game shooting, with the 20 bore.

Guest cookoff013

I'll be starting my daughter on a 20 auto in the spring ....

The subsonic a could be a good start, probably won't cycle, but that's not an issue to start with.

Are they widely available?

yes they are, just ask your normal dealer to get you some next time they order.

worst case scenario order from just cartridges.

Guest cookoff013

sorry shaun, subsonics are softer by a country mile.

but thats my opinion.

20bores are light, but with 21g subsonics, i can tell you now they wouldnt recoil much at all.

i`ve been messingaround with all manor of subsonics, and they are softer.

even though the recoil from compx are light, the recoil from a subsonic is still substantionally less than that (i bet 40% less).

i`ve used subsonics from 21g in 12bore to 42g in 12bore. they recoil nothing.

Felt recoil is very much affected by the choice of powder in the cartridge. Using a 'mellow' powder like green dot greatly softens the appreciation of recoil.

However, cartridge manufacturers favour the faster burning powders because the charge used is about 25% less than would be used with a slower burning powder. That keeps their powder cost down, so it makes sense financially to them.

Also the sharper recoil is perceived by most shooters as an indication that the cartridges are "good" cartridges. To put it the other way, soft recoil is interpreted as the cartridge being "weak". Its not true, but that's how the mind works and the manufacturers are in business to sell cartridges.

Would you consider reloading or getting somebody on here to run you up some reloads using a powder like green dot?

Guest cookoff013

vince,

greendot is not the answer, while it is great in 20gauge subsonics.. it is not that single component that makes all the difference...

felt recoil is much of a muchness, thats about all i can say on "felt recoil". but i have quality reload data that says multiple things....

-speed is the main antagonist of recoil.

-24g 1400fps steel and 1400fps lead both recoil the same (i have super solid data on that, from a test barrel (run at the same time))

-the powder for the previous experiment was 30 grains of powder vs 18 grains of powder. (respectively) ie different powder doses mean nothing.

- the subsonic series i did previous recorded the lightest recoil, 21g subs loads being the lightest. 42g being the highest recoiling load, (near as davit same recoil as a 32g load 1300fps)

-comp x shells are good, but are not the answer to the "lowest recoil " they are about 1400fps...

- the powder is a non issue because because the aforementioned test, used a powder that is at the top of its game (fastest powder i could find, really), and another powder thats quite lethargic n slow.

-i would consider reloading subs if super low recoil, is desired. (i`ve seen a 10yr old use some subs, its cool.)

-greendot is not marketed as mellow, but for full throttle 32g loads 1400fps.

I agree burning rate has nothing to do with velocity, that's not the point I was making. You can throw a tomato twenty yards by hand but try to do it with a cricket bat. The classic mellow powder is blackpowder and that is very soft on the shoulder. Its about how hard the initial push is.

When Nobel80 ceased to be available I went over to green dot with 32g loads. Its a stonking good load but I don't go for anything HV just a cooking load.

Many times people who have borrowed cartridges or been give some to try (because I am quite proud of them) have commented on how smooth they are. They don't have the sharp kick. The recoil, as you say, must be same, its just spread over a few more miliseconds