.223 zero

andypaint

Just a quick question, I've just acquired my Howa 1500, and wondered what everyone has zeroed their. 223 at. 100 yards, 200 yards or somewhere in-between. It for open fields foxing, not massive fields. Is there a set zero distance that make it easier to point and shoot regarding the bullet drop. Thanks

All of the above is pretty much how it is. I would have a look at the distance that you have in the fields that you shoot on and pace it out. But when you start set the target up at 30 paces and get it on to start with. This is very similar to shooting at the distance you want to be at and it saves a lot of ammunition missing the target if you set it up at 100+ when you pace out the fields you might be surprised at the distances. Write the distances down so that you know that field (A) is XXX yards from the gate to the other end or to that tree because distance looks completely different at night. I zero at 150 because it seems to be the best to get the bullet into the target. I don't advocate shooting at max distance and I always get to a distance that I can positively identify the target. If the target decides to go away leave it for another day rather than shooting someone's stray dog or cat.

If I zero at 150 yards, what sort of drop roughly can I expect at 200 and 250.

That's for you to find out experimentally and then remember, keep the targets so you can refer back to them. Rifle shooting is all about knowing these things.

Its the learning process that is in some ways the most fun. While you are doing it see how your ammo groups at those ranges. Then if you are like me you will start all over again with different ammo just to see how that group.

Try it in a strong cross wind too

good luck

Edited by Vince Green

I zero everything at 100 yards now and know the drops for 200 and 300, for which I can use holdover or dial.

There is one minor problem with this idea in that the judging of distance at night is often very difficult. To try this go out onto a field at night and guess how far that tree or gate is away, then pace it out. mostly you wont be shooting out at great distance at night because when you see a target all you will see is a pair of eyes especially on most field background colours. It's all trial and error testing.

Thanks everyone, think I'll zero at inch over at 100 yards. Then learn the holdover for other distances. I've got all 55gr to try to which the howa like, I've got noma, Winchester and hornady v max,

You do that and you will be point and shoot at fox sized targets out to about 230 yards or so.

Good luck.

There is one minor problem with this idea in that the judging of distance at night is often very difficult. To try this go out onto a field at night and guess how far that tree or gate is away, then pace it out. mostly you wont be shooting out at great distance at night because when you see a target all you will see is a pair of eyes especially on most field background colours. It's all trial and error testing.

I don't shoot at night ;)

If I did, I'd simply work out the best MPBR for the round/load that I was using and zero for that. For the bullets that I use, the best MPBR zero varies between 175 and 200 yds (.223).

If you draw a straight line between the end of your barrel and your given zero point ,because your scope is above the barrel,the bullet leaves the barrel and rises up through the straight line and then falls to your zero point. Its a lot easier to zero at the first point when setting up and confirm your set zero afterwards as there's less chance of movement. To set it up properly you need the coefficient of your given bullet,velocity and centre height of your scope above the centre of the chamber. Once you input all these you get finer measurements ,I find the Norma ballistic calculator very good and not to extreme for inputting details

Just zero at 100 meters. Then learn to call the fox in to the gun. So much more rewarding when you call the fox and it comes flying in and you wack it at 30 yards. Plus you don't have to walk so far to pick it up

What do you do when they don't come flying in?

The older ones don't always respond.

Our fields can be 3 - 400 acres.

This is why I zero at 150. I have developed a load that uses a 55 driven at 3450 that will hit the target out to 300 if needed and I can positively identify the target but it is very rare for me to shoot at that range in fact the general range is under 100. The closest was the other side of a small apple tree. 3 to 5 paces.

That's me Grandalf, I get umpteen that just sit out and won't come in to a call. If I have exhausted all other avenues I have to wack them out where they sit.

There is the odd one that I can spend more than a week on trying to sort out.

That's mainly thanks to the neighbouring numptys.