Skoda Octavia scout

sandspider

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of the above? Thinking of getting one to replace my Subaru legacy. Should be 4wd enough for my needs (light offroading, perhaps a bit of shooting, collecting logs, OK in snow etc.) but also economical for commuting and able to carry a fair bit of stuff. They seem to have a good reputation for quality too. Thinking of the 2.0 diesel.

What should I look for when looking at a used Octavia scout? Budget maybe 5k, so fairly high mileage I imagine. But should be OK on a diesel...

Thanks.

I have owned an Octavia scout for the last few months, so far very impressed with it. Haven't been off road much with it but it goes like stink and has loads of boot space.

Ground clearance is a bit limited and a i think off road tyre choice is a bit limited due to the size but could be wrong.

Just look for some service history and try to make sure the cambelt has been changed. Don't worry too much about the mileage 100 000 is nothing for one of these engines.

Edited by aga man

Probably one of the best cars I've owned, no problems in the snow, really good fun to drive.

Ran up to 137000 on it, plenty of boot space loads of extras to play with.

Economy was cracking and the engine was sound , think they are around 140 bhp.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, wish I had !! Got a top of the range subaru diesel forester, engine blew up in less than 6 months.

I was lucky subaru paid for a new engine.

Had an Octavia (not the scout) kept it for 12 years......best car I've ever had! I have now got a Yeti.....I'll tell you what it's like in another 12 years!lol!

I love the yeti, no everyone's cup of tea, the top gear (magazine) review was glowing.

Saying that, top gear program, JC was amazed by it.

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of the above? Thinking of getting one to replace my Subaru legacy. Should be 4wd enough for my needs (light offroading, perhaps a bit of shooting, collecting logs, OK in snow etc.) but also economical for commuting and able to carry a fair bit of stuff. They seem to have a good reputation for quality too. Thinking of the 2.0 diesel.

What should I look for when looking at a used Octavia scout? Budget maybe 5k, so fairly high mileage I imagine. But should be OK on a diesel...

Thanks.

Hello there. My family has owned Skoda's for the last 10 plus years when they were taken over by V.W. I drive a scout (2010) plate (previously my father's) covered 80k miles, no problems so far. Fantastic ride and has some lovely little luxury extras too. I get around 450 miles out of a tank. As for the Yeti my father purchased one last year as my mum had a hip replacement and wanted something a little higher up. He likes it, yet he wishes to buy another scout at the end of the year. The yeti drinks more than the Scout and the ride is a bit more uncomfortable, also the boot capacity is tiny to the scout especially if you want a spare wheel instead of the puncture repair kit, which seems to come with most modern cars now. As you said about log collecting. the scout is longer and can more weight. The 4 wheel drive on the scout has worked out well. It runs on an automatic system that when it feel the front wheels slipping the 4x4 kicks in, so the 4 wheel is not always running. For 5k you can pick some good ones up they will be high millage, but seeing as they now have a v.w engine inside them as long as maintained and serviced they will keep going. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Tom

Edited by LandyLife92

Thanks gents, all still sounding good!

Aga man, did you have the 2.0 diesel 140bhp version? Be nice if it goes like stink!

Tom - yes, I think the Scout would be a better bet for me, there's always stuff to be carted around. Thanks for the comparison.

Does anyone know if the diesel Scouts have DPF filters, and the problems that come with them? And can anyone comment on the difference in performance between the 180bhp DSG auto vs the 140bhp manual? Not had a chance to test drive either yet. Bit of extra power would be nice, but possibly not worth it if the price is an automatic gearbox... Thank you.

Aga man, did you have the 2.0 diesel 140bhp version? Be nice if it goes like stink!

Tom - yes, I think the Scout would be a better bet for me, there's always stuff to be carted around. Thanks for the comparison.

Does anyone know if the diesel Scouts have DPF filters, and the problems that come with them? And can anyone comment on the difference in performance between the 180bhp DSG auto vs the 140bhp manual? Not had a chance to test drive either yet. Bit of extra power would be nice, but possibly not worth it if the price is an automatic gearbox... Thank you.

DSG gearboxes are superb, I wouldn't go back to manual unless I'm forced.

The only problem I have come across with Skoda's is a tendency to lock or unlock doors at random. I had a lot of problems with my Fabia estate doing this and some other owners of Skodas in the range I have met have suffered this problem.

Very annoying when you have to lift the Grandchildren over the front seats of a 4 door Skoda because the back doors won't unlock.

Other times the whole car either wouldn't lock or unlock. Had the AA out once when the whole car wouldn't start and kept flashing the lights.. AA chap sorted it by disconnecting the battery then reconnecting it to force the onboard computer to sort itself out.Bit like yanking the plug out on a home computer.

Eventually I managed to have the problem sorted after a £400 garage bill.

It was a comfortable car and economical on fuel and lots of luggage and leg room, but its put me off computer control cars.

Yes mate i have the 2.0 140bhp one. I think it roughly does 0-60mph in around 8 seconds, and seems to pull in all 6 gears which compared to my previousTD5 discovery is quick for me!

Edited by aga man

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they do have a DPF as i have discovered recently. The DPF light came up on my dashboard a fortnight ago.Reading the manual suggested the DPF was sooty and needed a clean. So as instructed by the manual i drove in 4th at 50mph for ten minutes and the light has gone out and touch wood not come on since.

I have not heard any horror stories with these on the scout but i beleive it can be removed and re mapped which is what i will consider if it becomes a problem.

Can't fault the car in anyway so far, if you get chance to test drive one do so you will be impresed i'm sure.

Edited by aga man

Thanks Aga man. Do you do a lot of short / town journeys?

I'm test driving a 140bhp manual at the weekend! But finding it hard to find the 170bhp auto to test to compare.

Figgy, I did consider a Volvo XC of some sort - but they seem to be pricier than the Skoda, and thirstier. Also the Skoda seems to have a better reputation than the Volvo according to the internet, but that may be because I've looked more into the Skoda!

Cheers

Thanks Aga man. Do you do a lot of short / town journeys?

I'm test driving a 140bhp manual at the weekend! But finding it hard to find the 170bhp auto to test to compare.

Figgy, I did consider a Volvo XC of some sort - but they seem to be pricier than the Skoda, and thirstier. Also the Skoda seems to have a better reputation than the Volvo according to the internet, but that may be because I've looked more into the Skoda!

Cheers

That is exactly what had caused the light to come on, the Mrs had been pottering around town all week shopping and stuck in heavy traffic etc. The car, like me needs a good blow out once a week :)

You will find the 140 plenty enough i dare say :good:

Yes they do have a DPF as i have discovered recently. The DPF light came up on my dashboard a fortnight ago.Reading the manual suggested the DPF was sooty and needed a clean. So as instructed by the manual i drove in 4th at 50mph for ten minutes and the light has gone out and touch wood not come on since.

I have not heard any horror stories with these on the scout but i beleive it can be removed and re mapped which is what i will consider if it becomes a problem.

Can't fault the car in anyway so far, if you get chance to test drive one do so you will be impresed i'm sure.

dont remove dpf as that's a MOT failure

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Edited by martyn2233

If you are using the Skoda off road I would suggest keeping your eye on the scuttle drainage. Pour a cup of water inside the scuttle just behind the wiper and it should come out immediately just behind the front wheel. Repeat for the other side. If the water seems slow to drain you'll need to broddle the leaves and muck out of the drain holes under the scuttle and also remove the inner wheel arches and clean the crud out of them. Only takes half an hour to an hour all in, but it ensures that water doesn't build up inside the scuttle where the EMU is housed. It is a common problem on the VAG models from Polo and equivalents up to Passat and equivalents.