Out of Town.

Penelope

That voice brings back a lot of memories! Given the choice, I did prefer Jack's Game though.

I remember being at school when Jack's Game was on originally - Sunday afternoon at 3 if I remember correctly. I had an uncomfortable row with a rabid anti of a teacher about it.

I'd like to have seen Jack Hargreaves and Colin Willock together with the gunning punt they built too. It sounded a right adventure.

Yep,brilliant programme. Jack sitting in the "shed" stringing onions, or talking horses, old tools to guess at.I can recommend the book. We were spoilt in those days. Jacks Game, loved the rough shooting one. I still have some VHS tapes, must get them put on disc. Now we have Packham !! :no:

I may have posted this before but will do again..

Many moons ago when buffalo still roamed the plains, passenger pigeons filled the skys and Mars bars were 7 ins long.

I filmed a fishing trip with old Jack, he was then and still is a sort of hero of mine..( and many others too.)

It was a dace fishing trip on the Upper Thames below Cricklade... I recall we didn't catch any dace but lots of chub and grayling, or it may have been the other way around I cant remember

He was a lovely bloke but could be a curmudgeonly ****** at times.

The Film was never used...I've often wondered what became of it and if its still led in a dusty room somewhere waiting to be unearthed.

Thank you for posting.

What I would give to be on a field like that.

Hargreaves' companion would have shot more if he had spent less time wandering about outside his hide.

I shot a field like that not too far from your previous abode last year Jdog :yes::lol:

Edited by Adge Cutler

I may have posted this before but will do again..

Many moons ago when buffalo still roamed the plains, passenger pigeons filled the skys and Mars bars were 7 ins long.

I filmed a fishing trip with old Jack, he was then and still is a sort of hero of mine..( and many others too.)

It was a dace fishing trip on the Upper Thames below Cricklade... I recall we didn't catch any dace but lots of chub and grayling, or it may have been the other way around I cant remember

He was a lovely bloke but could be a curmudgeonly ****** at times.

The Film was never used...I've often wondered what became of it and if its still led in a dusty room somewhere waiting to be unearthed.

I shot a field like that not too far from your previous abode last year Jdog

Might be worth asking on here https://www.facebook.com/groups/JackHargreaves/, Lots of knowledgeable people there and I believe Simon Baddeley from that group is his step son?

Might be worth asking on here https://www.facebook.com/groups/JackHargreaves/, Lots of knowledgeable people there and I believe Simon Baddeley from that group is his step son?

Thanks I will... although its long past that I fear but you never know...

It was filmed I recall by Southern TV long defunct but a researcher friend who worked for LWT now sadly gone too ( both of them ) did search the archives of 1972 but sadly nothing !

Incidentally I've been to Bulbarrow Hill many times in the past bird watching.. where Jacks ashes were scattered(My Aunt used to live in Blanford) I swear when it got dusk you could hear old jack coughing on the wind and smell his pipe smoke.

Thanks I will... although its long past that I fear but you never know...

It was filmed I recall by Southern TV long defunct but a researcher friend who worked for LWT now sadly gone too ( both of them ) did search the archives of 1972 but sadly nothing !

Incidentally I've been to Bulbarrow Hill many times in the past bird watching.. where Jacks ashes were scattered(My Aunt used to live in Blanford) I swear when it got dusk you could hear old jack coughing on the wind and smell his pipe smoke.

They are doing lots of recovery work on old tapes of Jacks - so you never know. I'd start by asking the question with as much detail as you can and see what comes back - good luck :good:

Adge

Here are a few FB posts to wet your appetite

13 July

I remind friends here that we remain frustrated that, since September 2015, there are no public retailers of 'Out of Town' DVDs I've been prepared to licence (tho' they can still be picked up via eBay and even Amazon). From our home, Linda B is helping sell 'OOT' DVD stock (individual disks and box sets) we've recovered from the Delta Leisure bankruptcy, while looking about for interested retailers I would be prepared to licence. In the meantime, I remain delighted, that Dave Knowles' (over 2014-16) recovered 'Old Country' series made by my stepfather in 1981-84, as a successor to OOT, have been published by Dave and are available. In 'Old Country' Jack, with a different cameraman, is to be seen and heard despite the growing scarcity of 'Out of Town' DVDs.http://jackscountry.co.uk/jacks-country-shop/ I can plug Dave's superb work without selfishness - since I earn no royalties from the sale of these DVDs, though I'd be pleased if Dave could recover, via sales, some of the time, energy and cash, he has invested in recovering these wonderful programmes - the last broadcasts Jack made, remembering that Southern TV lost its licence in 1981 and the only OOT work done by JH after broadcasting 'Old Country' in the early 80s was a series of VHS tapes (later DVDs) made in 1985 for domestic viewing on the 'new' technology of home VHS players.

15 July

Yesterday afternoon, working with Frazer Ash of 'Learning on Screen' in London, on our 'Restored to Life' project - a 1970s 'Out of Town' film-tape combination from the archive I hold of my stepfather's work. .https://flic.kr/p/eGLR3e

12 August
Frazer Ash, Digital Transfer Manager, at 'Learning on Screen' in the West End of London, with the latest batch of archive Out of Town 16mm film and 1/4" sound tape, couriered down from our garage in Birmingham.

Brilliant.I also used to watch it and taped them all on vhs sadly long gone as is Jack.Wonder if the full set will ever come out on dvd.

That would be great indeed.. he also did a precursor to OOT something about Going Fishing or similar. I remember watching them in the late 60's early 70's in B&W

Being a only 36 "young un" as some would say. I don't remember Out of town the first time around. Or Jacks game. I have been watching some of the out of town video's on you tube over the last 12 months. They are excellent. Iv also found a facebook group about them too. JH's step son started it. He's been trying to put some of JHs stuff back out there on DVD. He's put some unseen stuff onto dvd. He owns the rights to much of his steps dads work.

Iv not seen any of Jacks game yet. But iv saved some of the videos on youtube to watch at a later date.

Its interesting when he says that the Pigeons recently pushed up the cost of sprouts by 50p and then later says the Pigeon is no longer seen as a major Agricultural pest. I wonder when that episode was filmed.

He said when he was a young man, 6 million wood pigeons were hatched each year. Assuming one successful brood, In pairs of 2 that would mean a population around the 9 million mark annually not including migrant visitors. That would have been around the late 40’ early 50’s!! Thats interesting to me because my Grandad always used to say in the late 70,s that there were thousands more birds about during and just after the war.

Last estimate by the RSPB/BTO was 5.3-5.4 million pairs so on the face of it the breeding population hasn’t gone up that much !

I think some of those Sussex birds may have been winter migrants lured across the channel but even so it was a very big flock.

The birds are there but don’t flock up in the same sort of volume these days unless the weather conditions are really bad it seems, primarily I think because there is a food source in virtually every field, wood, park and garden throughout the year.

Ive seen some big flocks over the years including one locally in the 90’s which were hitting a drilled field where the drill must have been faulty and left 50 % of the seed on top. That was about 5000 – 7000 birds strong. One a couple of winters ago near Stow on the Wold which was 3000 – 4000 thousand birds strong on a wild bird mix, and one in Portugal 10 years ago which could have been 15,000 birds strong!!

Coincidentally there is a field of corn just down the road near Stroud at the moment which looks like it has been just cut down like the one in the video..when I drove by this morning there were pigeons, crows and rooks, in big numbers diving into the field from all directions. Its not on my patch however.

Edited by Adge Cutler