.22 Flobert Cb Caps and Shot Shells

Short range pest control ammo for the .22 rimfire can add to the guns versatility, but are they really any good? Only way to find out is to do a bit of a test. I was using rws flobert caps with 16 grain conical bullets. Five shots over the chrono ranged from 878fps to 911fps giving 27.39 to 29.49 ft lbs energy at the muzzle, offering similar performance but not consistency, to many fac air rifles. Accuracy though, won't match the fac air rifle at any great distance. I couldn't get them to group at less than an inch beyond 15 yards.The circle on the blue target is 5p size. I also put some Winchester Super X .22 shot shells over the chrono. They achieved a fairly consistent velocity ranging from 1149fps to 1163fps from my 14 inch barrelled rifle. I patterned them at 3,5 and 8 yards, and I think that's about the maximum useful range judging by the patterns they threw from a rifled barrel. I'd stick to five yards or less really. Should be ok for shooting small rodents in buildings etc, but not much else.

post-55706-0-86607100-1475763540_thumb.jpeg

post-55706-0-06377700-1475763554_thumb.jpeg

post-55706-0-44740700-1475763580_thumb.jpeg

post-55706-0-96886300-1475763606_thumb.jpeg

post-55706-0-90043000-1475763671_thumb.jpeg

As a matter of interest how do you find the caps load/cycle in the magazine or do you load individually?

I have a few caps left somewhere, but haven't used them for years (actually I haven't seen any for years either), always had issues with cycling them!

:good:

Yes, regarding the magazine feeding them Dekers, I haven't actually tried, but I wouldn't expect many shots before a jam with the caps. I've got a single shot adapter that slots in place of the magazine, It's easy to roll a cap into the groove and either thumb it into the breach or use the bolt to slide it in.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to open an old thread. Been playing with some CB caps today. They don't feed from the magazine (or the one I designed and 3D printed) but just using an empty magazine as a SS adaptor works fine. However, they don't extract (Sako P94S) without pressing hard on the extractor claw with a screwdriver so they're an absolute pain. Haven't tried the CCI ones but they look like they'd feed better.

It's a shame they're not as accurate as an FAC air rifle, though - I wonder why that is? Surely there's a place in the market for a super quiet, accurate 22LR round?

3 hours ago, spandit said:

Sorry to open an old thread. Been playing with some CB caps today. They don't feed from the magazine (or the one I designed and 3D printed) but just using an empty magazine as a SS adaptor works fine. However, they don't extract (Sako P94S) without pressing hard on the extractor claw with a screwdriver so they're an absolute pain. Haven't tried the CCI ones but they look like they'd feed better.

It's a shame they're not as accurate as an FAC air rifle, though - I wonder why that is? Surely there's a place in the market for a super quiet, accurate 22LR round?

Calls for a custom made ramrod to poke them out from the muzzle. A couple of screw eyes into the woodwork of the Sako would complete the package.

2 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Calls for a custom made ramrod to poke them out from the muzzle. A couple of screw eyes into the woodwork of the Sako would complete the package.

I'm sure you of all people could engineer a more elegant solution

44 minutes ago, spandit said:

I'm sure you of all people could engineer a more elegant solution

😃😃
On a similar vein - Has anyone tried using heavy .22 air pellets in a .223 powered just by a 209 shotshell primer? Gives about the same power as a CB cap at around 15ftlb.

• 5 weeks later...
On 07/07/2021 at 17:59, 1066 said:

😃😃
On a similar vein - Has anyone tried using heavy .22 air pellets in a .223 powered just by a 209 shotshell primer? Gives about the same power as a CB cap at around 15ftlb.

Not tried that, but cb caps I use are around 30ft lb, not 15. I might try some h&n airgun slugs in a hornet case with just a primer cap. Could be interesting?

On 06/10/2016 at 17:05, Hammo said:

CCI CB Long go well for me, 32 ft/lb and accurate enough out to 30m.

Hammo

Yes. That's what I found maybe now thirty-five years plus ago when Speer-CCI first introduced them to the UK via John Longstaff. In fact in a long barrel rifle you don't even need a moderator as the bullet is reasonably quiet IN A LONG BARREL RIFLE when it exits the muzzle.

But the problem I did find wasn't that they were not accurate (they were very accurate in my mother's .22LR Martini) it was that they "shot through" on the classic front shoulder shot on squirrels as the bullet was solid and, now exited, the bullet was still travelling on.

Such that it truth I found them less desirable then my father's .22 BSA Airsporter Mk I as a "killer" as when pulling the trigger you must always be aware of what is behind your chosen target as explained here below.

With the Airsporter that was only in case you missed as if you hit they didn't exit the squirrel. With the CB Long they exited all the time regardless of a hit or a miss. And putting CB Long sized holes in tree trunks was frowned upon!

Edited by enfieldspares

• 2 weeks later...