Grouse Shooting - Dave Carrie

button

I like has comments at the beginning about antis trying to make it a class war - I didn't know he started out as a miner. He certainly is a first rate shot.

Can I ask why anyone would "loathe" him? I understand he is a controversial character. Is this mainly for his extreme long range shooting obsession, or is there something else I have missed?

I don't know him at all. I'm just curious.

Great video, showed he is a long range man leaving a lot to shoot well behind, that or they were too fast on him up front, no time to judge and shoot.

Best of all he didn't show just his shooting he found time to talk to those involved behind the scenes, which make the day possible.

Why, when the birds are being driven from the front is he taking nearly every bird out the back of the next butt? He is a good shot but I just find it a bit odd. The other thing that I find really weird was the stiff awkward conversation with the gamekeepers wife and the beaters. When the keeper arrived there was an odd situation. Where suddenly it was a case of, get a move on you lot and everyone was glad to get away from this sort of false conversation.

Am happy to admit am a big fan of Dave`s shooting and these video`s he does with Jonathan.

I guess he shoots the longer faster birds behind as that`s the target / style of bird he wants, the ones out in front may be to easy for his ability and of little challenge to him, plus he may not want to take them a long way out in front for safety and fear of others thinking the bird was on its way to them.

Considering he is blind in one eye I would love to shoot half as well as him.

His Meaty cartridges are test loads from gamebore that they supply him with to test in the field.

I would love to meet Dave one day and would also happily pay to watch him shoot game.

He`s done a lot more for our sports than anyone else of recent time that am awear of.

It was good he tried to get the young beaters to speak, but alas like in most situations they probably do not realise what he`s trying to do and half are more likely more interested in the social media on their mobiles. Kevin and Perry typical teenagers comes to mind.

A great shot no doubt...but am i the only one who finds this driven gamebird shooting, pheasant/partridge/grouse etc a bit sad?

Where is the fieldcraft in this, maybe im missing something, but i just dont see the joy in this kind of shooting?

Tin hat donned!

I see your point Steve, there is no doubt Dave Carrie can shoot, but there are plenty of other shots with equal talent that can't afford these type of shooting days or like myself are simply not interested in it.

If there was to be a video produced of dave and co covering miles and finding a flightline of pigeons and successfully shooting a few that would be more impressive than shooting driven reared birds with heavy loads.

Just put my tin hat on too!

I see your point Steve, there is no doubt Dave Carrie can shoot, but there are plenty of other shots with equal talent that can't afford these type of shooting days or like myself are simply not interested in it.

If there was to be a video produced of dave and co covering miles and finding a flightline of pigeons and successfully shooting a few that would be more impressive than shooting driven reared birds with heavy loads.

I enjoy driven pheasant shooting, decoying pigeons, rabbit control and rifle shooting. I believe each to their own and in the present climate we need to be united to ensure the future of all Fieldsports.

Grouse aren't reared they are a totally wild bird living in a managed environment. It's a type of farming & the crop can easily fail due to the weather in breeding season. Last year was **** & we didn't shoot after mid September, this year has been much better & I expect a full season.

I enjoy driven pheasant shooting, decoying pigeons, rabbit control and rifle shooting. I believe each to their own and in the present climate we need to be united to ensure the future of all Fieldsports.

Couldn't agree more and as my father was a gamekeeper on a fine Yorkshire estate i fully get the driven game shooting thing.

I have a lot of admiration for Dave Carrie both in terms of his shooting and what he has achieved in business. However all of the videos he is shown in are £2000+ days, why not show a video of flighting pigeons or bolting rabbits with ferrets? all fieldsports that have been around for decades. Little wonder the general public associate shooting with big money spenders.

A great shot no doubt...but am i the only one who finds this driven gamebird shooting, pheasant/partridge/grouse etc a bit sad?

Where is the fieldcraft in this, maybe im missing something, but i just dont see the joy in this kind of shooting?

Tin hat donned!

I think if you spent a few days on a grouse moor you'd change your mind. The video is shot on a soft summer day, easy day to kill grouse. They ought to show a day with a howling gale & ******* down, it's a fair bit harder to get them over the butts then never mind shoot them.

Grouse aren't reared they are a totally wild bird living in a managed environment. It's a type of farming & the crop can easily fail due to the weather in breeding season. Last year was **** & we didn't shoot after mid September, this year has been much better & I expect a full season.

Fair comment, i wasn't referring to grouse as reared and i do respect the keepering and land management that goes into a healthy grouse moor. Hope you have a good season.