Grouse Shooting - Dave Carrie

button

Why, when the birds are being driven from the front is he taking nearly every bird out the back of the next butt? He is a good shot but I just find it a bit odd. The other thing that I find really weird was the stiff awkward conversation with the gamekeepers wife and the beaters. When the keeper arrived there was an odd situation. Where suddenly it was a case of, get a move on you lot and everyone was glad to get away from this sort of false conversation.

Having spoken to people who have shot next to Dave he is a person who has made his own luck in this life. You cant win, of course it was a awkward conversation talking to the beaters! Having been a beater when talking to a gun it is always awkard as you don’t know them, and they don’t know you, but you don’t want too say the wrong thing or you may not be beating next week.

It is a awkward but polite conversation, I have seen many cases where rude guns have not thanked beaters, however I have also seen cases where a polite gun has made the effort only for beaters to walk away staying to one other what a posh fu8king tw8t!

Sometimes you cannot win!

Edited by zipdog

I think if you spent a few days on a grouse moor you'd change your mind. The video is shot on a soft summer day, easy day to kill grouse. They ought to show a day with a howling gale & ******* down, it's a fair bit harder to get them over the butts then never mind shoot them.

Not sure i would to be honest, sure the keeper and beaters would have to use more fieldcraft and knowledge to get the birds over the butts, as a gun i would be just stood where i was put. Sure the shots would be more testing, but thats not really what i was getting at.

We had Dave shoot a day on the moor I'm on this summer, I was flanking that particular day. I was picking up behind the butts on the way to the cars after the first when a gun came over to me. Immediately I thought i was in the wrong, somehow. As the man approached it became apparent it was Dave; he had simply come over to say thank you and to complement my dog on a long retrieve. Things like this make it worth doing, £50 in hand or not. Thoroughly nice man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...