grayling fishing

colin lad

Colin,

If you want to catch a Grayling, go to Barton Court on the Upper Kennet at Kintbury, nr Hungerford, Berkshire. I have had them there to just over 2lb. I haven't been in a while but a friend went last season at the back end and said that the Grayling numbers were back up.

There used to be good numbers of big roach to over 3 back the late 90's to mid 2000's. There are some very good perch too, having been caught to over 4.

http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/

Click on the course section.

Lower Itchen Fishery.

Another place where you will catch Grayling.

http://www.itchen-fishing.co.uk/CoarseFishing.asp

Edited by Penelope

Colin,

If you want to catch a Grayling, go to Barton Court on the Upper Kennet at Kintbury, nr Hungerford, Berkshire. I have had them there to just over 2lb. I haven't been in a while but a friend went last season at the back end and said that the Grayling numbers were back up.

There used to be good numbers of big roach to over 3 back the late 90's to mid 2000's. There are some very good perch too, having been caught to over 4.

http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/

Click on the course section.

Lower Itchen Fishery.

Another place where you will catch Grayling.

http://www.itchen-fishing.co.uk/CoarseFishing.asp

thanks will take a look at them

Yes they are. Limited numbers per day and pre-booking. Cost are between £20 - £30 I believe, but all the info is on the websites. Yet get almost exclusive use of the fisheries. When I fished Barton Court I used to quiet often block book for 10.

Barton Court - £20.00.

Timsbury Manor - £25.00

Lower Itchen - £25.50.

Edited by Penelope

Yes they are. Limited numbers per day and pre-booking. Cost are between £20 - £30 I believe, but all the info is on the websites. Yet get almost exclusive use of the fisheries. When I fished Barton Court I used to quiet often block book for 10.

Barton Court - £20.00.

Timsbury Manor - £25.00

Lower Itchen - £25.50.

Bloody 'ell!

River Don, Hillsborough - Nowt!

River Dearne - Barugh Green - Nowt!

River Colne - Huddersfield - Nowt!

River Wharfe - Collingham to Newton Kyme - A fiver!

You southerners are being ripped off big style :lol:

It'd cost us more than the ticket in juice to get up there though. The three fisheries I mentioned are the only day ticket waters that allow course fishing methods for Grayling on those three rivers.

Grayling fishing is very limited down south and pretty much confined to the chalk streams, which obviously cater for high end trout fishing.

Bloody 'ell!

Edited by Penelope

• 4 weeks later...

Bloody 'ell!

River Don, Hillsborough is a personal favourite plenty of grayling in there!

You can go down past the Owlerton Greyhound Stadium, continue past Hillsborough College and park down near the bridge. Or go into the industrial estate directly opposite the football stadium on Penistone Rd, go down Park Springs Rd and you will see a public footpath sign that points towards the river down a path lined with chain link fencing.

You can also access the river along Beeley Wood Rd by going past the old UCAR site, parking at the weir and then walking back along the river bank.

I've had Grayling and Brown trout out of the River Test. It was on a private section "Mill Lane bridge to Rivermead Close" .. Brown trout to 4lb 8ozs. I've also had Grayling out of other southern downs chalk streams but their name escapes me .. all on flies. I'm a boat angler and only fished the River Test via kind invitation of my wife's relation who is an Angling journalist.

Where do you access the river in Hillsborough?.

Follow the road where Fletchers is untill you come to a small unmarked Road and follow it to the end at a large firm, you can follow the path on eather side of it and follow the river or turn back and fish the wier although the middle has been removed but theres a large wall at your feet that holds plenty.

I have also climbed the small wall just inside the leppings lane end gate and fished there and you can walk down the bridge there too next to the garage on the opposite side of the road.

Follow the road where Fletchers is untill you come to a small unmarked Road and follow it to the end at a large firm, you can follow the path on eather side of it and follow the river or turn back and fish the wier although the middle has been removed but theres a large wall at your feet that holds plenty.

I have also climbed the small wall just inside the leppings lane end gate and fished there and you can walk down the bridge there too next to the garage on the opposite side of the road.

Is it still possible to access the stretch along Club Mill Rd at the back of the old Fairfield Pub site? That used to have some nice parts suitable for trotting.