Gamebore black gold

So...I went and bought my cartridges for the season and thought I'd treat myself to some black gold 32 gram no.5. Anyway I thought I'd pattern a few and find they are a 4 shot. Why do they do this? I want 5 shot because that suits the chokes I use. Has anyone used these before? Did you have to up your choke to make up for the continental shot size?

So...I went and bought my cartridges for the season and thought I'd treat myself to some black gold 32 gram no.5. Anyway I thought I'd pattern a few and find they are a 4 shot. Why do they do this? I want 5 shot because that suits the chokes I use. Has anyone used these before? Did you have to up your choke to make up for the continental shot size?

European shot size

Are you saying that you opened a couple up to check the shot size?

If they state #5 shot and or show the size in mm as 2.8mm and you can show they are number 4 (uk around 3mm) then i would take them back and ask for a refund.

Game bore on their web site show they make their own shot so their is no reason why they should not be English number five shot at 2.8mm.

32gm in 4 is not ideal I would be wanting 36gm in 4.

On their website they state #5 shot as 3mm

Thanks, then they are not using English shot sizes can only guess they export a lot and are more concerned about that market than they are the uk.

Confirms to me how careful you need to be when buying cartridges and why making your own is the only reliable way of knowing what you are shooting.

When manufacturers are consistent in their application of English or Continental shot sizes (e.g. Hull are English, RC Continental) ... it's easy ...

Gamebore and Fiocchi now I believe are muddying the water by having some ranges in English sizes, and some in Continental.

If it's important to you ... look at the size in mm to make sure you're getting what you want ...

For me ... 2.7mm for Fenland game ... and 3mm in the Valleys ...

Gamebore has always used continental shot sizes for there black gold range. The same as hull use the same continental sizes for there high pheasant range.

Gamebore has has always been very clear on this.

When manufacturers are consistent in their application of English or Continental shot sizes (e.g. Hull are English, RC Continental) ... it's easy ...

Gamebore and Fiocchi now I believe are muddying the water by having some ranges in English sizes, and some in Continental.

If it's important to you ... look at the size in mm to make sure you're getting what you want ...

For me ... 2.7mm for Fenland game ... and 3mm in the Valleys ...

+1

Gamebore has always used continental shot sizes for there black gold range. The same as hull use the same continental sizes for there high pheasant range.

Ok thanks I buy so few actual cartridges these days, I am behind times and clearly as the topic shows it is buyer beware.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/highpheas.htm

Perhaps not as clear as you think ... these look like English sizes to me :yes:

I agree for those who are interested (like us) relatively easy to work out, it's on their website etc ... ... but for the chap who goes into a shop and picks some off the shelf ... not quite so clear.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/highpheas.htm

Perhaps not as clear as you think ... these look like English sizes to me :yes:

I agree for those who are interested (like us) relatively easy to work out, it's on their website etc ... ... but for the chap who goes into a shop and picks some off the shelf ... not quite so clear.

I think Stevo is correct. Looking at the link above, for game cart's from 6s up they're over size and 7s down, under. For the class of cartridge that the OP refers to, their performance table is classed as "Top Secret" and the pellets/oz table is omitted. As said, buyer beware. As long as it's only a minute percentage of shooters who actually do a pattern check with the necessary pellet count obtained, very few will be any the wiser.

Edited by wymberley

I think Stevo is correct. Looking at the link above, for game cart's from 6s up they're over size and 7s down, under. For the class of cartridge that the OP refers to, their performance table is classed as "Top Secret" and the pellets/oz table is omitted. As said, buyer beware. As long as it's only a minute percentage of shooters who actually do a pattern check with the necessary pellet count obtained, very few will be any the wiser.

it's the HIGH PHEASANT EXTREME I'm on about.

Edited by stevo

They use the same tables throughout their range. If you go to High Pheasant, you'll find that there are 160 pellets of their 4s to 32g which are given as 3.1mm. If we convert that into English ('imperial' will just confuse us even more) we get 142 to the oz. Give or take 2 pellets, this equates to our 3s at 0.1276" or, converted back 3.24mm. With their given pellet count, the same but to a lesser degree, applies to their 5s which are in fact 4 &1/2s at a tad under 2.9mm. This is not a criticism as such, after all if you're looking at tall birds you want some poke provided you have the pellet count/choke to suit. At the other end of the scale, for smaller targets where you need the shot count then similarly, slightly undersize 7s can be advantageous.

It's just a shame that they can't - or won't - tell it as it is.

How do they pattern in your chokes?