Todays day out not what I planned.

Adge Cutler

Well I was all set to spend the day in the woods with the Co2 rifle..but it sadly fell through at the last minute. I rang the Landowner last night just to let him know I was about but he told me to speak to the Estate Keeper first. I did and he didn't want anyone in the woods until February...disappointing but understandable.

Second choice on the poll was the racing at Wincanton but the card cut up so badly at the 24 hour stage I couldn't be ***** to drive all that way for such a poor card.

So grayling fishing it was... River wasn't really right with little flow and gin clear so I fished one of the weirs just upstream from Great Somerford Wilts. ( Bristol Avon) this stretch between Malmesbury and Seagry is controlled by Somerford Fishing Association, it is one of the Oldest established fishing associations in the west country if not Britain. http://www.somerfordsfishingassociation.co.uk/sfaclub/club-history

Sadly the Grayling didn't put in a show today but I have caught them here =, normally after Christmas when roach fishing.

I did manage to catch two stocked Rainbows, these are normally put in around April so they were well acclimatised and very fit. They put up onehell of a scrap on a size 18 and 2lb straight through.

I also caught three wild browns of about 1/2 a pound each

and three clonking dace the largest one just in the picture was just under a pound put decided to hide just as I took the snap.

A couple of jars on the smoking dog afterwards and a fine day.

post-78288-0-75273500-1476476892_thumb.jpg

post-78288-0-11759100-1476476939_thumb.jpg

post-78288-0-91983600-1476476982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adge Cutler

Sounds like a good day out Madge :good:

Nice dace, pub looks alright too. :good:

There are some good dace swims in the Dearne Neil. Immediately upstream of the Dearne Valley Parkway bridge and just downstream of the 'big bend' about 1/2 mile upstream of Cat Hill. Probably the best stretch locally for dace though is at the back of the old Millmoor football ground in Rotherham. They go to over a pound there, but I can't recommend the local pubs :ninja:

There are some good dace swims in the Dearne Neil. Immediately upstream of the Dearne Valley Parkway bridge and just downstream of the 'big bend' about 1/2 mile upstream of Cat Hill. Probably the best stretch locally for dace though is at the back of the old Millmoor football ground in Rotherham. They go to over a pound there, but I can't recommend the local pubs :ninja:

Cheers Clive, may have to check those out sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a fish access race alongside that wall Adge. I can see a run there. Solid no access weirs are now considered the work of the devil and either need knocking out completely or at least a fish ladder constructed alongside. Until about 15yrs ago when I started to renovate a stretch of river which had fallen into disrepair did I find that all fish, course and game need to move to different areas of a river to spawn and these solid blocks of concrete, built with all good intentions prevent this. Grayling are a fine fish to angle for. About twelve years ago the EA offered us some young fingerlings to reintroduce to our river where the Grayling had been wiped out years before by pollution spills. I am pleased to say many catches of small grayling are being made now, so those I helped put in have spawned successfully. Our river is the Sence in Leicestershire. We won the WTT Award for Conservation back in 2007.