How long to leave down ?

30-6

A small holding who asked me to help out with the squirrels and rats after her fruit bushes and her son's garden he has there, has noticed a few rabbits about. I went out for a shine about with a lamp and seen a few and shot one.

I have put down a couple of live catch and mk6 fenns in tunnels, with no luck. I had a look around the nearby hedges and seen a couple of rabbit runs, and after reading steve caple's book on trapping and snaring and much internet research put down some snares on the sheep fencing. The snares are new and after checking regulary for a week they are untouched. The runs are not the best i've ever seen but are rabbit runs.

So how long should i leave them in place before trying something else ? Like i said, i did research and read before hand but don't claim to be any sort of expert on snaring.

Appreciate your view, but i wanted to try it and did my research first, i even fitted stops (don't know if you legally need to for rabbit), so as to hold rather than choke. But i cannot find anywhere advice on how long to leave a snare in place before removing.

I would add that it will not feature regulary in my country pursuits.

Hi 30-6

I have now given snares the boot as they are not good for singling out targeted species,

The way I used them then was to arrive early on the piece of ground install some wires with stops in areas I couldn't see with NV and settle in for the rabbit shoot and check them every hour, they do help on the reduction and definitely it's not cruel as anything caught is not in the snare very long and not harmed just held that's the best you can get as far as it goes, clear them all up after you've finished shooting and everything is back to normal.

These days leaving snares out overnight is not the best idea, they will hold almost anything and the old age problem with non target species pops up

Best way is to sit up and nail the rabbits with a rifle and or of course the best ( my favourite way ) ferreting if you can get to the earths

Good luck

Patrol

Hi Bumpy

First day out tomorrow on some open field earths, got two new Jill's to bring on, should be a good day, haven't touched these earths this year with the 22. Should be one or two about.

picked up a few bits lately but most has been hit hard by mixy. i have one young jill i bred this year she seems very keen. but will be lucky to start anything except small gardens until there is a frost down here. got a mate of here who wants me to do some hedgerows now but just too much cover.got some paddocks i went to this morning right by the motorway but absoulutley riddled so hopefully get a few later on in the year. by the time it looks good they will be breeding flat out again lol

I did used to have ferrets, me and my oldest boy ( he was 12 then ), had great times out with them, he could go between a hawthorn hedge and a sheep fence on his elbows like a ninja sas on patrol.

I will keep the snares down until next week, then try a rifle and lamp. I am about to get some sort of NV soon which will open up new opportunities again.

The snares were just a try out, but not my preferred method. Did have a squirrel and a mole in a fenn and a tunnel today next to the fruit bushes.

Cheers for all replies.

Is it not illegal to set snares on a fence line? Know they changed the law for that years ago in Scotland, all snares have to be pegged (not tied to fence line) amongst other things. Must admit i thiught that was uk wide.

I'd hold off buying NV just yet unless u have other places to shoot, lampers managed fine for decades without them, while they maty be handy if ur just starting off or don't have a lot of ground/rabbits there really is no need.

Are u sure there is many rabbits there? In the old days the boys snaring a lot of rabbits would be moving there snares every few days, if there not catching the 1st few days ur either doing something wrong or no rabbits on that run