Altberg/Haix boots

martindd

Looking to buy a pair of the above boots, (giving up with wellies) probably get the grade 1 used, unless I find a bargain.

How do the sizes come up, it are they true to size and also notice they do various widths also just to confuse further.

So if anyone know where to get a good deal with decent condition boots I'd appreciate it.

Martin

I have the altbergs and my understanding of there sizings are they have a standard, and a wide fitting,and the wide fitting is considered the half size, they come with extra insoles to Taylor your fit, I am a 10 in most boots and shoes so went for 10w I've fitted the insoles and they are a great fit, all day beating over deep plow no problem, just follow the care instructions and they will last ages!

Oh £80 brand new in the box, spare laces and insoles off eBay! Hope this helps

Edited by Wilksy II

Cheers, yes it does help

I have the altbergs and my understanding of there sizings are they have a standard, and a wide fitting,and the wide fitting is considered the half size, they come with extra insoles to Taylor your fit, I am a 10 in most boots and shoes so went for 10w I've fitted the insoles and they are a great fit, all day beating over deep plow no problem, just follow the care instructions and they will last ages!

Oh £80 brand new in the box, spare laces and insoles off eBay! Hope this helps

Do you remember which seller?

If you go for the Altberg Defender boots (good ones used are about £40), those and many of their military range are one size based on the same last, and they use (or recommend) different thickness insoles to get them to fit (see here: http://www.altberg.co.uk/military/sizing-info/ ). I am a wide fitting and the Defenders are a perfect fit. In Altberg's hiking boots, they come in 2 last designs. One is the standard Altberg 5-width fitting (extra Narrow through to Extra-wide) and the other is the A-Form last. I found the latter too narrow. If you are normally a wide fitting, then size up with Altbergs and go for the extra wide for the hiking boots. I've been using their defender boots for well over a year now and they make the perfect shooting boot. Comfortable and haven't let a drop of water through despite some outings in truly appalling weather. Use their Leder-Gris boot treatment and they'll last years.

Went to the factory this afternoon and spoke to the chap there who asked what I was intending to use the boot for?

I said walking/shooting on rough ground, and he said they'd be no good as they're not waterproof only the Aqua ones were.

Worth a visit though, loads of boots paramo gear

The Altberg high leg Boots are very good and waterproof, the gamekeeper version are made for hard use. I wanted the Hogg high leg motorcycle boot making in brown leather as a country boot in place of wellies but they wouldn't make me them. Or a country boot with a higher leg. Might have to ask again as my Mallerstang 11 boots ive had for a number of years are superb.

I use a pair of German army boots these days, had to give up the willies too they were killing my feet.

Bought a brand new pair off of Military 1st or some crowd like that.

They are an excellent boot made under contract for the german govt by either meindl or haix.

Covered them in boot polish and dubbing and they are a great boot, no problem with sizing am a 10.5 in meindl so the same sizing worked.

I use a pair of German army boots these days, had to give up the willies too they were killing my feet.

Bought a brand new pair off of Military 1st or some crowd like that.

They are an excellent boot made under contract for the german govt by either meindl or haix.

Covered them in boot polish and dubbing and they are a great boot, no problem with sizing am a 10.5 in meindl so the same sizing worked.

Are these the boots made by Mil-tec? Sold by Military_1st

Looking to buy a pair of the above boots, (giving up with wellies) probably get the grade 1 used, unless I find a bargain.

How do the sizes come up, it are they true to size and also notice they do various widths also just to confuse further.

So if anyone know where to get a good deal with decent condition boots I'd appreciate it.

Martin

I got both pairs of these boots the haix are ok but the altbergs are lighter and more comfortable don't worry if there water proof or not just use boot polish it will keep most of the water out goretex is good however if you get them wet form the inside there harder to dry out may I suggest lowa as well good boots the only issues I have with the army issue altbergs is that the souls wear out pretty quick don't know if the other type of altbregs will I did have a old pair of skywalk alt bregs and they lasted over ten years had to go to the factory for them