SG shot chokes

Keep seeing the odd fox popping out the hedges up the shoot when im working up there. I normally have my shottie with me.

As its only the foxes I'll be shooting this time of year I had a rummage through my old carts and found some 36g SG. I normally have 1/2 and full chokes in, any reason I need to change?

Just dug them out and had a look. They are lylevale 36g SG supergame. There's 9 sg shot inside. I must of been given them at some point. What would people actualy use these for? Can imagine at close range they will blow a fox to bits!

They will do the job at close range, at longer range you'll be lucky to connect.

I've found anything over half choke doesn't work very well with sg's. It's seems that squeezing those big pellets together in a standard tight choke doesn't help them. Don't know about aftermarket extended tubes though, they may work ok?

That's right, in a charge of no6 shot only about 10% of the charge contacts the choke and gets redirected. In a charge of SGs every pellet contacts the choke and gets redirected so the pattern gets blown apart.

You need choke to hold it together at any range, Turkey choke or full is the way.

fox is a small target area you are going to need all the help you can get. Big shot over AAA and i use AAA all the time on fox if im going looking for them with a shotgun. I run A turkey choke everytime.

Edited by TONY R

Big lead shot is poor at patterning.

If you fire it slowly , buffer it and use tight to very tight , you can make it behave very well.

I found a little 2 3/4 " Winchester buck shot cartridge , buffered ,and patterned it at 60 yards. 100% pattern.

You can do the same yourself but standard factory stuff is usually useless.

Pattern Sg through your chosen barrel at paper with a 4" X 8" target on if you can get a killing pattern at anything but short range you'll be very lucky.Buy something like 3 or bb .Dipper

9 pellets of sg aint the right way to go. too heavy. not enough, no pattern. just not right. use 36 grm of #3 in right barrel and 36 grm of BB in the left or a heavy in left and a normal bird load in RT if you want to shoot normally and have the heavy as a back up in case Charlie pops out in front of you. If you cant take it with 36 it is too far way and just remember that the sg will have a lot of energy up behind it as it dissapears off over the horizon or through the wood