Beretta 12 gauge AL391 URIKA

old'un

OK thanks for all the input, never used a semi auto before but my favourite gun is my Miroku O/U and as I have been shooting this for 30+ years and like the single barrel view so the auto should fit my style of shooting (don't get on with a sbs)

shaun4860, yes I have seen this gun but I think its the 30" barrel and the weight of those is around 8lb, looking for something a little lighter and most of the 28" 391 Urika's seem to be around 61/2 to 7lb, I will be using it for a bit of a walk around gun and did not want a heavy gun plus as I have got older the auto should be a bit easier on the body.

Steel shot....most of my shooting will be pigeons, black'uns, rabbits, duck, and walked up game, so steel cartridges will be around 32g, 4s or 5s fibre, so I hope the older 391 Urika can handle steel, from what I have read most of the newer auto's (400) are proofed for steel and carry the fleur de lys proof mark.

My A400 Xtreme handles anything from 24 gram 2 inch up to 64 gram 3:1/2 inch ultra magnums and all steel including HP steel, my AL391 I've used with 3 inch hp steel with no problems. Not more than half choke though using the standard chokes. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 391. I'd say, if you like it, buy it and give it a go.

AL391 Urika, best semi i ever owned totally regret selling it... Had mine for 5 years or so and it was abused hard as it was my one and only gun. Used it for clays and rough shooting and I cant recall ever having any issues with it. Stupidly I swapped it for an old 686 which didnt fit me that well and I didnt get on with....

I use one and is always the first gun I pick up for pigeons or any shooting really.

Always been reliable and as its the synthetic stock it really has been used and abused, but you wouldn't notice.

It is also very soft shooting compared to other guns that I have used.

One thing I do is always use 70mm shells,

If not I get the occasional mis-feed. We are talking about one in every 40-50 shells. Not much but annoying when it happens.

Otherwise never been a fault.

I have one, and my tuppenceworth:

It cycles everything put in it from 2 1/2 inch 28g loads to 32g 2 3/4 in spite of the warning only to use certain loads for reliable cycling. It has never jammed, and has proved utterly reliable. It has less blast noise than my O/U partly due to some of the gas being bled off to cycle the action, so kinder on the ears and shoulder. You do need to clean them, and mine gets stripped and cleaned after every outing. That means almost complete disassembly, all the carbon fouling and muck removed, the sliding breach block cleaned and a little suitable grease added to the points where the gas ram lug engages; the port and top hat cleaned out and of course the barrel cleaned. No oil to any moving part except the odd drop to trigger and spring mechanism. Keep them nice and clean, and free of oil at areas where fouling would create a gungy mess, and they'll stay reliable for life. Plenty of spares available from Beretta's own website if needed too. Overall, a well made, very reliable gun, as good as any auto made today, if not better than most.

The not so good bits, and here it's a very personal thing. What suits one, may not suit another. I find it more unwieldy than my Silver Pigeon and the fit isn't as good. It needs more drop at the heal for me. There are spacers and things provided with the gun to tailor the fit, so if you buy one, I suggest you get the help of a friendly local gunsmith and have it properly set up to avoid disappointment. I tend to hit most things that fly out in front of the Silver pigeon, and fewer hits with the AL391. It's all down to fit and balance. The balance isn't as sweet, and no auto, imho, however exotic, will ever handle as nicely as a good, well balanced SBS or O/U. Others may disagree and get on fine with them.

I will probably sell mine (complete with all original supplied kit and case) as I'll probably replace it with a lighter field gun such as a SBS or 20 bore O/U.

I have one, and my tuppenceworth:

It cycles everything put in it from 2 1/2 inch 28g loads to 32g 2 3/4 in spite of the warning only to use certain loads for reliable cycling. It has never jammed, and has proved utterly reliable. It has less blast noise than my O/U partly due to some of the gas being bled off to cycle the action, so kinder on the ears and shoulder. You do need to clean them, and mine gets stripped and cleaned after every outing. That means almost complete disassembly, all the carbon fouling and muck removed, the sliding breach block cleaned and a little suitable grease added to the points where the gas ram lug engages; the port and top hat cleaned out and of course the barrel cleaned. No oil to any moving part except the odd drop to trigger and spring mechanism. Keep them nice and clean, and free of oil at areas where fouling would create a gungy mess, and they'll stay reliable for life. Plenty of spares available from Beretta's own website if needed too. Overall, a well made, very reliable gun, as good as any auto made today, if not better than most.

The not so good bits, and here it's a very personal thing. What suits one, may not suit another. I find it more unwieldy than my Silver Pigeon and the fit isn't as good. It needs more drop at the heal for me. There are spacers and things provided with the gun to tailor the fit, so if you buy one, I suggest you get the help of a friendly local gunsmith and have it properly set up to avoid disappointment. I tend to hit most things that fly out in front of the Silver pigeon, and fewer hits with the AL391. It's all down to fit and balance. The balance isn't as sweet, and no auto, imho, however exotic, will ever handle as nicely as a good, well balanced SBS or O/U. Others may disagree and get on fine with them.

I will probably sell mine (complete with all original supplied kit and case) as I'll probably replace it with a lighter field gun such as a SBS or 20 bore O/U.

Thanks for that Savhmr, you say you are looking for a lighter gun, I have seen the AL391 from 61/2lb up to 8lb do you know why there is such a wide variation in weight between the same model? what is the weight of your gun? Is it the Ulrika?

Thanks for that Savhmr, you say you are looking for a lighter gun, I have seen the AL391 from 61/2lb up to 8lb do you know why there is such a wide variation in weight between the same model? what is the weight of your gun? Is it the Ulrika?

The AL391 came in different versions, some being synthetic stocked, some being wooden stocked etc. Mine I'd say is closer to 7.5 to 8 lbs being wooden stocked, but I've never weighed it so that's just a guess. I'd like a very light smaller bore gun with maybe 28 inch barrels to replace it as my wife is thinking of taking up shooting and the AL391 is too big for her

I have both a 391 and a 303. The 391 has been used for a lot of Instruction and Corporate event work, so has fired 1000's of cartridges, which includes 1000 in 1 day. It will feed 21 grams and upwards without any problem. It is the 'field' model and weighs in at around 6 3/4 lbs. with a 28" barrel. It really has never missed a beat, except on 1 occasion I never cleaned it, left it for 2 days and then used it again. It began to jam on around 12 - 15 shots. A quick strip/clean of the piston and barrel chamber (the bit where the piston is housed), a squirt of 3 in 1 spray oil and we were once again up and running. With regards to the weight difference, the field model is stocked in wood and generally is under 7 lbs. The synthetic and the 'sporter' models tend to be heavier, up to 8lbs with a 30" barrel. I bought the 'field' model after handling all of the variations, but I wanted the lightest option for Instructional use. Just 1 minor criticism though, if I am shooting for my own enjoyment, I go to my 303 every time. It is a 28" 'sporter' model and is fitted with an I/C Briley extended choke and I use it for all of my sporting and skeet shooting. It is far easier to clean after use than the 391, and although a bit ammo fussy, it handles better too. (just my opinion)