gold panning in devon

essexfluke

Hi taking the kids to Devon next week for a holiday. My girl is really keen to have a go at panning, has anyone ever tried it in Devon? or know anywhere close that we could have a go. I know there's not much chance of finding any, but will still be fun trying. All info would be greatly appreciated as she is obsessed with the gold mining programs and has her own pan already.

Hopes nose in Torquay used to produce a small amount of gold at the turn of the last centry. Tony Robinson of time time fame was filmed there in a program about gold in Britain. If your down this way perhaps you could do some research at Torquay livery.

Hopes nose in Torquay used to produce a small amount of gold at the turn of the last centry. Tony Robinson of time time fame was filmed there in a program about gold in Britain. If your down this way perhaps you could do some research at Torquay livery.

Hi taking the kids to Devon next week for a holiday. My girl is really keen to have a go at panning, has anyone ever tried it in Devon? or know anywhere close that we could have a go. I know there's not much chance of finding any, but will still be fun trying. All info would be greatly appreciated as she is obsessed with the gold mining programs and has her own pan already.

hello, not something i know about but hey i wish you all have a great holiday together, ps what about some beach metal detecting to ?

Thanks for the replies. Have been looking at Wales for next year, but thought it might be worth a go in Devon. Have read the link Fortune cheers might get some pay dirt for her as a Christmas present this year, we got her the panning kit for her birthday with false gold pay dirt. Must say it was lots of fun finding that.

You would have more chance of finding Gold if you pan lake 27 on the Cotswold Water Park, especially as I dropped my wedding ring there 35 years ago. :yes:

If you do go to Devon try one of the local curry houses and treat yourself to a Chicken Tarka...its like Chicken Tikka but otter . ;)

I'll get me coat.

I bought a gold pan and did a bit in New Zealand, its good fun and you always seem to find some stones that look like gold and you convince yourself it is gold if nothing else.

Iron pyrites ....fools gold. :lol:

I can remember going on holiday to salou in Spain (Costa dorada = gold coast ) the sea had a gold sheen to it. The kids had great fun with two sand castle buckets. Filling one with water,letting it settle down and then pouring out the water down to the gold sediment and then tipping It into the second bucket. It wasn't long before they had a fair amount of fools gold to play with and decorate their sand castles with. The really funny bit was a couple of lads with their girlfriends really did think that they had hit the mother load. They were surprised that we didn't join them in this bonanza. What a downer when one of the kids informed them that it wasn't real gold and it was called fools gold. Didn't everyone know that! Crest fallen or what. They were all for ordering a new Ferrari on the strength of the find. They were very sceptical about this but I had to put them straight before they really did make fools of themselves. I said that if it was real gold didn't they think that there would be a major pumping and filtering system in place to capitalise on the abundance of the material in the sea. Talk about hang dog expressions. Many happy holiday memories.

I bet the mrs ain't going to be too chuffed when one of her best kitchen pans comes back all scratched and battered after using it to dig stones and mud out of some river bed.