Russian Navy in the channel

digger

The Russians once went to sea to face the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese War. They sailed from the Baltic around the world via the Cape of Good Hope, to Manchuria only to get ultimately stuffed by the Japs. However, on the way, the Russians sank some British fishing ships in the North Sea, mistaking them for the Jap fleet!

For that reason, the Royal Navy must shadow the Russians to protect what's left of the UK fishing fleet...

MESSAGE FROM THE SHADOWING BRITISH SHIP:

Dear Ivan,

Touch the British trawlers and we'll retaliate.

However, I've heard that those Spanish trawlers over there make excellent live fire targets...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question for those who live near the channel (forgive me, I live about as far from the sea as its physically possible to unfortunately).

Given reasonable weather, would would be the chances of seeing ships of this size transiting the channel from a vantage point on shore? If it is doable and they come back the same way I might head down to see it - it isnt every day you get to see a Russian fleet underway.

As an aside, it's interesting that someone mentioned the reliability of Russia's ships, in the sense that they have put to sea two of the main culprits for breaking down - Admiral Kuznetsov and the Petr Velikiy, at the same time. That says something about increasing Russian defence spending and confidence.

On a clear day you can see France with little difficulty and a set of binoculars provided your in the right spot.

On a really clear day you don't need the binoculars.

On a clear day you can see France with little difficulty and a set of binoculars provided your in the right spot.

On a really clear day you don't need the binoculars.

They'll go down the Channel on the English side and return on the French.

Assuming, of course, that they follow the International Rule of the Road and the Dover Strait Traffic Separation Scheme.

See what you mean about the smoke, looks like she's burning old tyres! Apparently headed to the Mediterranean to fight Syrian rebels.

Did any one see the sky news footage of Is attacking Mosul, the angle some of the tracer was bouncing around would make you think twice about ever firing a rifle again!

We do not o2n the channel,?,,Under maritime law they have every right..

If you have the gloves off,it would be an entirely different matter, But at present we are just wary of each other..I am not entirely happy why they are there as 4hey have been taunting our air space,

Be it just outside,and flying over US vessels..

Worrys me what they will be up to once being in the Southern seas..

The Bear is being cheeky again,, My Father always said the guns should have been turned around when the Nazi's were beaten,,Never forget they made a pact with Germany of Non Aggression..

Then got attacked by thr Barmy Devil..Who's name shall not be mentioned..

Care of Harry Potter.lol.

If the guns had have been turned on Russia after WWII the UK would have been over run by the Red Army due largely to the sheer size of their armed forces. Today however technology rules and the country that gave us Zenith cameras and Lada cars doesn't strike me as being up there with the West. The Yanks need a bogey man to justify their spending on their nuclear arms and Russia fits that bill.

so i am told there is another 2 russian navy ships going to pass by as there coming from portugal but can't see the fuss. its only the yanks upset that the ivans have got new long range nukes and a new weapon a real life death ray that blows up drones and so on without firing a bullet. the yanks be even more miffed off as the ivans are going to be building military base in cuba and more other places to.

Edited by Cant hit them all

It makes me laugh the way they go on about Russia they have every rite to go up and down the english channel its oppen sea and as for people saying that there ships are old and out of date we have two aircraft carrriers with no planes to go on them and four destruoyers with engines that keep on breaking down we have to get the french to patrol the channle as we only two small boats what a joke.

agree.

so i am told there is another 2 russian navy ships going to pass by as there coming from portugal but can't see the fuss

The fuss is because they havent put a battlegroup of this size to sea in decades. As well as the aircraft carrier, there is a nuclear guided missile cruiser plus two cruise missile destroyers and auxiliaries. The Russian surface navy has done practically nothing since the end of the Cold War except stay in port rusting, save for a a few missile boats from the Caspian Fleet and cruise missile subs firing into Syria of late.

This is a big deal because a message is being sent, as it always is when Russia bangs the war drums.

The fuss is because they havent put a battlegroup of this size to sea in decades. As well as the aircraft carrier, there is a nuclear guided missile cruiser plus two cruise missile destroyers and auxiliaries. The Russian surface navy has done practically nothing since the end of the Cold War except stay in port rusting, save for a a few missile boats from the Caspian Fleet and cruise missile subs firing into Syria of late.

This is a big deal because a message is being sent, as it always is when Russia bangs the war drums.

I don't know much about Navies but by the sounds of it their navy is outdated and limited.

Ours doesn't sound much good either.

What significance is it really if the ships aren't up to much ? Or are the whole worlds navy out dated and in the scheme of things they're still a big player ?

It's the fact that they are getting in the west's face by sending the stuff out. They are making the point that they are coming back as a world power with this stuff, but with the implied thread of their next generation strategic deterrent. They arent there yet by a long way but this is light years ahead of what they could have done 5 years ago, and is sending a message to watch out in the future.

It's also rubbing the West's nose in it about Russia's willingness to take decisive military action, with the added benefit of making new allies and showcasing new weapons which will have export variants conveniently for sale.

It's the fact that they are getting in the west's face by sending the stuff out. They are making the point that they are coming back as a world power with this stuff, but with the implied thread of their next generation strategic deterrent. They arent there yet by a long way but this is light years ahead of what they could have done 5 years ago, and is sending a message to watch out in the future.

It's also rubbing the West's nose in it about Russia's willingness to take decisive military action, with the added benefit of making new allies and showcasing new weapons which will have export variants conveniently for sale.

Well it could be about time for me to upgrade the trusty Baikal anyway!

I'm pretty sure it's just posturing by the Russians.

That aircraft carrier was chucking out a huge amount of black smoke as were the other ships of the "armada" as described by a russian newspaper.

Far from being intimidated, we were curious and a little amused to see this ageing, decrepit flotilla chugging through the channel, followed closely by some of our state of the art warships to make sure they didn't stop.

Seen from the top of my roadattachicon.gifIMG_0090.JPG

I didn't know that they made aircraft carriers in two stroke. I bet that the engine will need a fair old decoke when it gets down to Syria. Apparenty the engines can't provide full speed so the jets cant carry a full fuel and weapons payload. When we went on a cruise around the med the smoke was visable from our ship and it had a most peculiar smell. Sort of cross between burning rubber onions and creosote. the ships tour officer said that they were burning the good clean stuff this week. The next trip the ship was going up into the black sea and the regs weren't the same up there so they would be burning the heavy stuff up there. No wonder it is called the black sea. On certain clear days you can see fields over in France with the natural eyesight and with low power binos 7x you can see cars ect. other days it can be very misty and grey.

I didn't know that they made aircraft carriers in two stroke. I bet that the engine will need a fair old decoke when it gets down to Syria. Apparenty the engines can't provide full speed so the jets cant carry a full fuel and weapons payload. When we went on a cruise around the med the smoke was visable from our ship and it had a most peculiar smell. Sort of cross between burning rubber onions and creosote. the ships tour officer said that they were burning the good clean stuff this week. The next trip the ship was going up into the black sea and the regs weren't the same up there so they would be burning the heavy stuff up there. No wonder it is called the black sea. On certain clear days you can see fields over in France with the natural eyesight and with low power binos 7x you can see cars ect. other days it can be very misty and grey.

the two stroke carrier - love it!