Russian Navy in the channel

digger

Not sure if the reason that they sailed down the north sea is because NATO forces are / were carrying out exercises on land and of the north western coast of the UK ??. I would presume that although the seas are international up to a point there may have been some discussion between the county`s that the fleet was passing, Norway, Holland, France and the UK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the two stroke carrier - love it!

Having seen the picture I get the humour.

But the fact is that even today the largest marine engines are two strokes running on heavy oil or marine diesel. The Emma Maersk container ship has a single engine that puts out 107kHp at 100 RPM!

Not sure if the reason that they sailed down the north sea is because NATO forces are / were carrying out exercises on land and of the north western coast of the UK ??. I would presume that although the seas are international up to a point there may have been some discussion between the county`s that the fleet was passing, Norway, Holland, France and the UK

They probably considered the shorter overland route, but on reflection decided that their ships would travel better on the seas.

people make may make fun of the old ships that they have but never forget that if there ever was a war they could turn this country in to a pile of rubble and even if we could get off all of our missiles Russia is so big that they would survive the same goes for the US if they could get through the fallout is another thing.

It makes me laugh the way they go on about Russia they have every rite to go up and down the english channel its oppen sea and as for people saying that there ships are old and out of date we have two aircraft carrriers with no planes to go on them and four destruoyers with engines that keep on breaking down we have to get the french to patrol the channle as we only two small boats what a joke.

Yup.

Don't take your eyes off the aircraft, awesome in performance.

I'm pretty sure it's just posturing by the Russians.

That aircraft carrier was chucking out a huge amount of black smoke as were the other ships of the "armada" as described by a russian newspaper.

Far from being intimidated, we were curious and a little amused to see this ageing, decrepit flotilla chugging through the channel, followed closely by some of our state of the art warships to make sure they didn't stop.

Yes looking at the amount of black smoke from the carrier it must be an old oil burner.

They probably considered the shorter overland route, but on reflection decided that their ships would travel better on the seas.

Spot on I think we are reading too much into this. As the retired Naval Officer said in the Pub last night its the shortest route from where they are to where they want to get to..

Just so happens they can have a gander at the coast of Britain and France at the same time.

Its the Yanks that worry me not the Russians.!

Edited by Adge Cutler

• 2 weeks later...

****** Russian's!!! Becoming a serious global problem AGAIN.

Getting away with public atrocities for the last 6 years. Threatening WW3 if Clinton gets in, advising their citizens to know where the nearest fall out shelter is recently, what's that all about?

Putin's just another nuclear Russian bully, bloke seriously needs a cap in his ****...

***** Russian's!!! Becoming a serious global problem AGAIN.

Getting away with public atrocities for the last 6 years. Threatening WW3 if Clinton gets in, advising their citizens to know where the nearest fall out shelter is recently, what's that all about?

Putin's just another nuclear Russian bully, bloke seriously needs a cap in his ****...

I'm curious how come they don't have as much right to roll up their sleeves as any other country?

Flight 655. shot down but mercians.

Grenada. invaded by mercians.

So it's the good old US of A as well as Russia. Let's not let facts cloud the issue eh ?

????????????????????????

Mercia (Old English: Miercna rīce) was one of the kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. The name is a Latinisation of the Old English Mierce or Myrce, meaning "border people" (see March). The kingdom was centred on the valley of the River Trent and its tributaries, in the region now known as the English Midlands.

????????????????????????

Mercia (Old English: Miercna rīce) was one of the kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. The name is a Latinisation of the Old English Mierce or Myrce, meaning "border people" (see March). The kingdom was centred on the valley of the River Trent and its tributaries, in the region now known as the English Midlands.

That make me a Mercian!!

How cool