First time beating

Doc Holliday

I've been asked to beat next Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. Any advice for a newbie beater? Don't want to make a complete tool of myself so would appreciate any pointers.

The gamekeeper's wife said no camo, which stands to reason really. Was thinking of wearing insulated Craghoppers with Muckboot wellies, but will probably take some old trekking boots too if it hasn't been too wet. Jacket-wise, I was thinking my Rohan Field Jacket, which is like an olive green colour and would think that would be acceptable. I do have a stick which I've sanded and polished/waxed in the event of popping my beating cherry.

Do shoots generally frown on hip flasks with alcohol in? If so then I'll put some ginger cordial in.

Enjoy the day, go with the flow, listen to instructions and meet nice people. Some shoots feed their beaters, but bring a sandwich just in case.

I would leave the hip flask at home and gauge the atmosphere. If someone has something to share, then take advantage of it.

Check the weather and make sure you wrap up if it's freezing. Nothing worse that shivering your way through a day.

Listen carefully to the keepers instructions and always stay in line.

This!.........And......

Don't worry too much about clothing.......drab colours, waterproofs, stout boots, watch, listen and follow instructions....enjoy the day,and if you don't understand anything......ask!

Got a stick? Hazel or blackthorn, or are they going to provide you with a stick with a fertiliser bag stapled to it? 🙂

Thick over trousers may be in order if you're pushing your way through gorse or briers. If you're taking a dog ensure it's controllable.

APart from that enjoy the day. In my experience beaters are some of the nicest people you'll meet and I've enjoyed many a days beating just as much as a days shooting, seriously.

I miss the craic with the lads on the 'small' big shoot on which I used to beat; I don't miss the guns at all.

You'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Why no cammo?

Cammo is the norm round most of the shoots in my area. Even cammo waterproofs in the standing guns in not unusual on most of the local DIY syndicates.

As everyone has said just listen to the keeper and experienced beaters, every shoot/keeper will have it own rules/expectations with beaters some want shouting others whistling, clapping or just sticks tapping or even only flags cracking. Keepers can be a queer bunch at times

Generally when there is a big 'flush' on u want to stand still and quiet for the birds to calm down, a lot of novice beaters start shouting even louder when the birds are flushing.

1 thing i think is brilliant for beating is a 'clacker' , a handle of timber with 2 smaller bits tied/hinged either side so u shake it back and forward and it clacks, bit like poor mans old school foootball rattle thing (have seen folk use them but too noisey sometimes as only 1 noise level) I have bought them before in supermarket kiddies cheap toy sections before sort of like castanets??

I generally make them out of scraps of 2"x 10mm facing, mibee handle 8" with 2 smaller pieces about 4" tied either side to it

Beating is great, not rocket science and can be a good way into a shoot syndicate.

It's normal to feel nervous, I know I waa. You will find most people are very kind in the shooting world, and they will help you . Just listen to the game keepeR, if you like just ask for a quick word and let him know it's your first time.

It's great fun, great banter and keeps you fit! Enjoy the day, wear a smile!

If you have got a pair of waterproof leggings take them along as well and put them on over your boots as this time of the year the game covers are tall and on a wet day they can get saturated .

Take a flask and something to eat if you are not sure lunch is provided , although most of the bigger shoots now provide a meal of some sorts .

Take a decent stout stick if you have got one , but don't worry if you haven't as most shoots would have a spare one and the flags ( if needed ) are provided.

As already stated , listen to the keeper who will most likely keep you in a small group with a couple of regulars who will know what to do and when to do it , keep in line and roughly the same distance between the beaters either side of you .

You don't need to be a super fit athlete but there is a lot of walking involved and you are out in all weather conditions but having said that we have got some elderly gentlemen ( a posh name for ole timers ) :lol: who think of nothing of beating 3 or 4 times a week and look as fresh at the end of the day as they did first thing in the morning . Good luck and report back about your first day .

Why no cammo?

Cammo is the norm round most of the shoots in my area. Even cammo waterproofs in the standing guns in not unusual on most of the local DIY syndicates.

As everyone has said just listen to the keeper and experienced beaters, every shoot/keeper will have it own rules/expectations with beaters some want shouting others whistling, clapping or just sticks tapping or even only flags cracking. Keepers can be a queer bunch at times

Generally when there is a big 'flush' on u want to stand still and quiet for the birds to calm down, a lot of novice beaters start shouting even louder when the birds are flushing.

1 thing i think is brilliant for beating is a 'clacker' , a handle of timber with 2 smaller bits tied/hinged either side so u shake it back and forward and it clacks, bit like poor mans old school foootball rattle thing (have seen folk use them but too noisey sometimes as only 1 noise level) I have bought them before in supermarket kiddies cheap toy sections before sort of like castanets??

I generally make them out of scraps of 2"x 10mm facing, mibee handle 8" with 2 smaller pieces about 4" tied either side to it

Because Gamekeepers wife says so!!

Re lunch, ask the Gamekeeper or his wife what the set up is? You may even go to a local pub?

I wouldn't take a "Clacker" or anything that makes a noise. Some shoots don't like the beaters to be too noisy, others do. They will provide flags etc if needed. You will know within a minute of the drive starting, if not briefed before, whether you should be making a noise or not.

As mentioned before, take some warm, waterproof clothes. Try to layer the clothes,as one minute you may be standing (waiting for the guns) for 20mins, freezing your bits off, then 10mins later, sweating your bits off after fighting through a field of 6ft maize!

Keep looking to your left and right to make sure you stay in line with the rest of the beaters, and adjust your speed accordingly.

Relax and have fun.

Waterproof leggings the button clip one,s keep gorse and bramble spears trashing your clothes,good gloves and a stout stick to beat with and keep branches out of your chops.Keep the line and do as asked its a team of like minded people with good banter and the chance of falling in a ditch or 2 :lol: .Take sarnies or whatever and share youl get to try good stuff ,people bring cheese,s ,jams,bread,s etc a lot of nice homemade nosh .And enjoy the day it,s great to be out and about :good:

I don't like camo on the shoot. Best if the guns can see the beaters. Yes, the rule is no ground game and if there's no sky then you let it fly but, in the thick of it there is always one that thinks he knows best. He will get the boot but that dose not help the beater that's wearing camo and not seen.

If I could get away with it then all the beaters would have either bright arm bands or a bright hat but I can't as the shoot captain it the boss.

Try not to over dress as you will be stripping of halfway down the first drive and then its tied around the waist only to get caught up on brambles and trees.

Something thorn proof is good and get it over the top of your boots/wellies to stop bits getting in.

Old stick that you don't mind taking to the thickets or brambles. You need to beat your line. The sticks not for leaning on.

Listen to the beat captain.

Enjoy

Get fit for next time as they will put the rookie on the hard lines and long walks lol.