First time beating

Doc Holliday

Also for the guys who are finding it hard to get shooting perms beating is a good way to get your first foot on the ladder , on our estate the beaters get at least one cock day and depending if the boss want one of the last days we very often have two days , one for all the beaters , picker ups and anyone connected with the days shoot and another day for the helpers and in the past tenant farmers , although nowadays very few shoot or they are to busy so the beaters are asked and come along to make the numbers up.

On top of a cock day they can go roost shooting for four Saturdays in February and if they are willing to go on one or two vermin days ,then there might be the odd decoying day with somebody like myself who will weigh up if the person is safe and can be trusted to be left alone .

So as you can see beating can have a lot of advantages apart from a good day out in the fresh air .

I have a half gun with my local syndicate and beat on the days I am not shooting . It is really good to see things from both ends , so to speak , and we all have lunch together so there is no division between guns and beaters. I enjoy both in equal measure and I am sure it will help you when you go on to shoot. I wear a battered old wax coat and roll up a pair of cheap waterproof overtrousers in the pocket ,they cost me about a tenner and have survived all sorts of different cover over the past 4 seasons, also carry a penknife or something to cut brambles , and loo roll !!

Wear pink and drink a bottle of your favourite tipple, shout and holler loudly and crash about as fast as you can as we all know its a race to see who can flush the most birds in one go. Take a Lurcher as they are great for picking up any runners and any game that gets up and your dog chases are good viewing for the guns. Any birds your dog pegs put in your poachers pocket for yourself.

Dont forget to tell the guns how poor a shot they are when they miss and there dog needs a good kick up the rear.

Ask the keepers wife to warm your hands :lol::whistling:

Seriously just wear some sturdy boots and clothes that if get ripped you wont cry over and do as your asked, you can go wrong if you keep quiet unless told otherwise.