first day nerves

Well first day on our walk and stand some new guns and guests and changes on the farm resulting in loosing a drive so had to try out a new drive that we haven't had a dry run on, and this will be the first attempt to push the birds and see if the drive will work . Up at 5.30 breakfast then sort out the dogs etc. load up the landy and then back into the hoose two sit on the lavvy for the third or even the forth time . Set of for the sixty mile run to the shoot pull into the meeting place and everyone has turned up. Off we go first drive lots of shooting end up with four and a woodcock ( by the way this is a good result for our little shoot ) that's me relaxed now and happy to go on to the next drive again a good drive all the guns buzzing so great now for the new drive we had a job to push thru the cover but managed to get the birds up and over some of the guns but not all of them. We now know how it could work better and have a plan for the next time nerves all settled now!. Good banter at lunch and the rest of the day went well except one lads spaniel collapsed but she was OK after she was given some sugary sweets . Ended up with 22 pheasants and a woodcock plus a few pigeons.

Always good to get the first day over, mine is 2 weeks away now. Still excited at the moment and having a last push this weekend to get everything done and ready. But the first morning I will be the same as you, lay awake from about 4am worrying everything will have disappeared!

Sounds like a great day. Numbers are irrelevant to a good day. Meeting old friends and making new, the anticipation when you are a standing gun ..particularly on a small shoot such as yours. Pleased to hear it went well.

I had a day at Godwick Hall, Norfolk, last week. I had made a contact through Guns on pegs and said I was a single gun , any chance of fitting me in somewhere. The shoot owner came up and offered me the opening day. Arrived the night before and slept in luxury in the Hall. The guns began to arrive and I found that I was added on to a family day where the owner was in hospital and I was filling his boots. The team were all old pals of the owner but made me and my wife very welcome. Average age of guns 74yrs !! The bag at the end was what they where looking for but totally overshadowed by the friendship and exceptional good humour of the team and that is what a days shooting is all about.

Wishing you many good enjoyable days to come scutt.

I wouldn't worry too much; nephew and his mates ( 14 of them in total ) had their first day on their first shoot yesterday. They have invested a small fortune in time, effort and money, in a lease for the land, built a large pen, bought birds, feeders and feed to put in them.

Yesterday, half of those who said they were coming didn't turn up, nor did several guests. Accordingly they had a shortage of guns and dogs; the birds didn't show up in the numbers they'd expected and the bag at the day's end was nine!

Young lads you see; most of them out on the .... the night before and no sense of responsibility and an attitude which makes me realise most of them don't appreciate what they have.

Nephew is ready for packing it all in now, but I persuaded him to stick it out til seasons end before making a decision. Felt quite sorry for him.