Moving to Norfolk is becoming real!

Royal22lr

HELP!

Would appreciate some local knowledge.

After 14 trips to various parts of Norfolk looking for our forever home.

We have found a cottage parts of it date from 1750s. Looks perfect for the boss, girls (dogs) and me.

Cottage is in WHATTON.

Before I spend my money would appreciate PW members opioion on area.

Lots of fields farms etc not far from Thetford Forest. Looks very promising for some sport!

Thanks

Best wishes

Malcolm

The bulk of the land going from Watton out towards bodney in the Brandon road is all leased and heavily shot over

There are no doubt pockets of unshot or lightly shot ground though

Some good game shooting very close to Watton so plenty of beating / picking up opportunities

Not a bad little town

I don't think you will regret it , fairly central in Norfolk , nice area to bring the kids up , walks for the dog (s) , sporting opportunities and not that far from the North Norfolk coast , oh , and the locals are very friendly people............ once they get to know you , its normally takes around 25 years :lol:

Update. Our bid has been excepted on cottage ecstatic.

Phoned my lovely wife with good news, her reply, you have done very well- will have to reward you when you come home!

Just got in, great surprise my present was laying on the bed!

Giant roll of bubble wrap- with following message, enjoy your surprise' suggest you start wrapping up your toys (guns) not amused.

Any idea were I can get some pigeon shooting in (complete novice) any help suggestions gratefuly recivied.

Be gentle with me, I'm not used to these hard Norfolk ways.

Best shooting

Malcolm

Phoned my lovely wife with good news, her reply, you have done very well- will have to reward you when you come home!

Giant roll of bubble wrap- with following message, enjoy your surprise' suggest you start wrapping up your toys (guns) not amused.

Any idea were I can get some pigeon shooting in (complete novice) any help suggestions gratefuly recivied.

Best shooting

Malcolm

1st thing is........get intouch with the norfolk embassy and apply for your visa.............

Best shooting

Malcolm

ask motty :whistling:

Edited by yickdaz

under take an intensive language coarse....i will start you off

1. hay yer farther gort a dicky bor...............(formal greeting asking after the persons donkey)
  2. cud de ell ats black owa wills muvers.......(looks like it is going to rain)
  3. wos a goin orn ere....................................(exclamation...as to the cuban missile crisis or catching a big eel)

you will have your work cut out.................

Lol, thanks chaps. Seems it's very similar to Berkshire full of Pols, Latvians, and nutters. Will be home from home.

Ditchman do you give lessons in local dialects? I could offer you an hour with an old cow. Past her best, but still lovely eyes and bloody massive udders!

Best shooting

Malcolm

Lol, thanks chaps. Seems it's very similar to Berkshire full of Pols, Latvians, and nutters. Will be home from home.

Ditchman do you give lessons in local dialects? I could offer you an hour with an old cow. Past her best, but still lovely eyes and bloody massive udders!

Best shooting

Malcolm

Now there is an offer you cannot turn down Ditchman,,,No Language Barrier either.lol.

Give us some more perfect Norfolk English..

Best shooting

Malcolm

That's all very well Malcolm , but whats her teeth like and do her breath smell ?

Teeth, what teeth she's getting on now. As for her breath I don't go anywhere near the head end. Much prefer the other end. This is why Im moving to Norfolk, mingling with like minded folk. Understanding folk,not judgmental, letting a man get on with the things he enjoys.

Bit of shooting, fishing, some this and that happy days

Malcolm

That's the way Malcolm , positive thinking , getting your priorities right in a stress free environment , oh and by the way , we always tell a good horse by its teeth :yes:

As for pigeon shooting , there should be loads of game shoots near Watton , try a few days beating and get to know a few local people on the shoots and they could lead you in the right direction .

If you called in the game dealers at Watton Green ( Bambridge ) they might give you the names of some of the keepers who take there game there , then you can go on from there .

Failing that , consider joining one of the wildfowling clubs that are scattered around the coast , not only have they got a lot of land for wildfowling they also do quite a bit of pigeon shooting all the year round . Good luck on your move.

You will find it pretty difficult to join a coastal wildfowling club (as opposed to one in the Broads area) if you live near Watton. Your best bet might be to join Kent WAC !

You might well be right Pushandpull , but I know some clubs have some places allocated for members living outside there area , say a radius of 20 miles , so he might be lucky if there is a vacancy , or he can try Norwich W A as Watton might just be in there catchment area.

Lads I'm becoming concerned, if opportunities don't come up soon - I will have to give serious consideration to approaching Ditchman on my hands and knees.

Now nobody wants to see that do they?

HELP please.

You could do much worse than go and see Ditchman.

Malcolm