Cooking Sauces

Aled

Hello All

As a bachelor I used to buy cooking sauces (you know the type Home Pride Knorr etc) which I would stick in a casserole dish/slow cooker with some veg, chicken/beef/pork etc to make a casseroles and curry's etc. They tasted fine and were enjoyable ideal food: Cook a batch on Monday, freeze the rest, remove from deep freeze as and when needed. Anyway I found the chicken casserole ones went really well with rabbit meat if left to slow cook for an extra couple of hours, and pigeon breast was good with the curry ones. Does anybody have experience of using these sauces to make a pheasant casserole? I have an old bird which needs to be slow cooked, and using a cooking sauce would make life a lot easier!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Aled

Aled, cooked long enough a shop bought cooking sauce will be fine to make a pheasant casserole (don't let it dry out, so tightly cover) but why not have a go at making your own?

Stock cube, some chopped up veg such as carrot, onion and celery, tomato puree, glug of red wine, sherry or even beer, herbs / seasoning, something sweet like redcurrant jelly, add water....the possibilities are endless. Stick it in on a low heat all day and it will be great.

Once you've started making your own sauces, curries etc you'll never go back.

Give it a go, you won't regret it. :good:

Thanks for that Thunderbird, yes I have thought about it, but have not been brave enough, neither do I (at the moment) have the time to hang around the kitchen. Should of got some mixes together whilst single! (We are a family of four, and due to various factors we have different diets, I'm the most normal in our house and I'm lactose intolerant!!)

Maybe just piling a load of stuff in the slow cooker and forgetting about for several hours it is the way to go. Cawl (a Welsh thick soup with a mix of veg & meat not unlike Irish Stew) is made like that, and tastes good!

Cheers

Aled

Always add some belly pork or some other greasy fauna to pheasant or it will be very dry.

If making a casserole the slower the better.

I've often cooked a cheap cut on 100 for 8 hours or more.

I don't peel the veg just dice it

My favourite is beef shin and oxtail in equal measures Dust the diced meat in flour and seal in hot oil and butter mixture (the oil stops the butter from burning), diced carrot, celery, parsnips, potatoes, peppers, button mushrooms, large diced onion or a dozen silverskin if I have them, a handful of lardons, couple of cloves of garlic, a diced chilli, salt, pepper, table spoon of mixed herbs, table spoon of five spice, a splash of cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, a couple of anchovies, a table spoon or so of pearl barley, ( no need to pre soak) a table spoon of marmalade ( good with fowl too ) and a whole bottle of good ordinary claret, top it off with a simple oxo stock or similar, Stick it in the oven and forget about it until the evening.

Some times I even add my famous Gloucester Sausage to it. oo err missus :lol:

Idiot proof.

Edited by Adge Cutler

Always add some belly pork or some other greasy fauna to pheasant or it will be very dry.

My favourite is beef shin and oxtail in equal measures Dust the diced meat in flour and seal in hot oil and butter mixture (the oil stops the butter from burning), diced carrot, celery, parsnips, potatoes, peppers, button mushrooms, large diced onion or a dozen silverskin if I have them, a handful of lardons, couple of cloves of garlic, a diced chilli, salt, pepper, table spoon of mixed herbs, table spoon of five spice, a splash of cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, a couple of anchovies, a table spoon or so of pearl barley, ( no need to pre soak) a table spoon of marmalade ( good with fowl too ) and a whole bottle of good ordinary claret, top it off with a simple oxo stock or similar, Stick it in the oven and forget about it until the evening.

Idiot proof.

Looking forward to trying that next May then ;)

Idiot proof.

Lush Adge. Loads of flavour and taste for no real effort.