Hull Superfast 27g fiber: bit of a scare

Well I hope it's a one off anyway. Was shooting Compak earlier, and the bottom barrel clicked, made a small bang... After a little while (and after I moved away, making sure front+ back of barrels were pointing to clean air, I removed the cartridge and it was spent... Hmm bizare -- then someone reminded me to check the barrel and sure enough, the wad was stuck about 2/3 down the barrell!

We cleared it up with a rod and it appears whole, but seem to have wedged itself a bit sideway. Finished shooting without further incident, apart from one cartridge that did sound a bit different, but shot cleanly.

Carts were from a slab I just picked from the shop, where the store them 'properly' -- so it's not from a damn garage...

Anyway, I hope it's not a bad batch, I just picked 1000!

You’re not the only one to have had this. I've seen this just recently with another shooter at the school using the same cartridges. I see occasional bad primers across all makes of cartridges.

You obviously followed the correct procedure - if it doesn’t sound right CHECK

I have shot 1000's of Superfarts both plastic and fibre without a hitch. I am now into a 1000 of the Kent 2016's in plastic and so far so good.

To be fair, I've shot quite a few slabs of them before without a single problem - the nature of my message is to have a heads up in case there's a bad batch floating around. I'm sure it could happens. Perhaps it's better to have a BIT of a warning if you are shooting these...

A misfiring cartridge is a bit of a scare, that people need a heads up about? Maybe it's time to take up golf.

It is if they don't realise what to look out for, and as in this case the wad is left in the barrel. That will cause a blockage, causing a massive increase in pressure when the next cartridge is fired, which could cause the barrels to explode and seriously injure or maybe even kill the shooter or bystanders. At the very best, your gun will be ruined. Posts such as this raise awareness, and are absolutely the right thing to do.

A friend shooting Hull Superfast fibre had a blocked barrel where the wad was stuck in the forcing cone, it's much more dangerous for a less experienced shooter when this happens.

A newcomer at Coniston Cold recently destroyed his Beretta with a stuck wad, no damage to his left hand though, very lucky.

It can happen to any make of cartridge and normally a fibre version but it is a very rare event given the numbers that get shot and manufactures normally put a warning on the box, but appear to do little else as to acknowledge the problem would not be good for business. Very unlikely to be a bad batch but just a bad cartridge or two within the millions.

But until you experience it first hand and learn from the experience their is always the risk that on the first occasion the stuck wad is not noticed with the danger already mentioned are the end result.

Posts like this are exactly what is required and it would be useful if the shooting magazines like pull etc carrier a warning as even the manufactures websites appear not to.

On a side note, I've left the wad in question with Emmet and Stone, and they say Hull is very, very keen to know of any incident like this, and they asked me to return the rest of the slab to them; Hull will have a look at them.

Thats the sort of things I'd expect, but it's nice to see it in action!

So I've had some confirmation that Hull is recalling a batch of cartridge. I was told to return the remaining 3.5 slabs I had bough the week-before, after that incident. Someone (Hi Paul) at Churchill also mentioned someone shooting there had the same problem I had, and my shop says it's been happening.

So I'm returning the lot, and getting some CompX 28 instead!

• 4 years later...

Hull Superfast is a good cost effective cartridge, I’ve used them for more than 5 years without any problems. I was at Coniston on the day when a barrel was breached with an obstruction, and spoke to the to the shooter, I believe he was was using CompX! I have had a number of misfires over the years, generally caused by ‘light strikes’, also had a batch of Fiocchi 28gauge that discharged ok but the primer came out of the base when fired and caused a jam on my A400, strange!!

A light measure or damp powder can cause misfires, I also had a slab of Hull 21grm CompX which produced  several lightly struck primers! I always wait a full 2 minutes before unloading a misfired shell, which should avoid a ‘slow burner’! I have also noticed that in my 50years of shooting experience that when ever a blocked barrel occurs it is a fibre wad that has failed to leave the barrel (never seen or heard of a plastic wad sticking in a barrel) or caused by negligence, failure to clear  mud, snow from the muzzle or a cleaning mop/brush left in the barrel. I always pull the barrel through before firing to remove any excess oil and establish the bore is clear, simple steps to help my day go as smoothly as possible! Sometimes I even hit a few clays!!

Luckily incidents these are very rare and modern factory produced cartridges operate exactly as intended 

I too have used a few thousand Superfarts without any problems and they work well through my Beretta 303. I also had an issue with Comp X in 24 gram. I had several where there was a distinct delay between the bang and the clay break. Even 2 newcomers that I was Instructing commented on the noticeable time delay. There must have been some 30 'slow' cartridges in one 250 case. I have not used any Comp X since. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeph, I also have noticed a few ‘slow’  comp x cartridges and I’ve changed to sporting 100 8s 28grms (light recoil) and amber 8shot 24grms (eley) both seem to work ok , both with the o/u and semi autos, fast enough for general shooting both are 70mm cartridges, a little more expensive but well worth it , both provide similar patterns , effective out to 40 mtrs +.

• 1 year later...