Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation.

JDog

Richard 111 the last Plantagenet King of England and the last reigning monarch to die on the battle field was notoriously unearthed from his final resting place under a Leicester car park. He was also famous in his life time for suffering from scoliosis which is a painful condition resulting from curvature of the spine. This, in part, was how the body dug up in Leicester was identified as the man himself. When he was a youth he fathered two illegitimate children, at least two that were acknowledged. There may have been more, my wife's ancestors may have been one of them for she has inherited scoliosis from someone along the line.

Yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to the pain she suffers I splashed out the considerable sum of £25 on a TENS machine. In the usual way that men take out a new electrical items and never read the instructions I set the thing up and placed two electrodes on my neck and set the thing off. Never have I felt such a sensation and I had to reach quickly for the stop button and turn it off. Only when reading the leaflet later could I see that there are designated places for the electrodes to be placed and where I put them was not listed. I am still vibrating this morning.

Hi.

You must 'respect' these devices, as a long term user can testify.

I have to use one of these daily.

http://www.cefaly.co.uk/en

Imagine your TEN's but about 5 times as strong, straight into the forehead.

Due to the obvious safety situation I'm well up on these sort of devices, but please, as much as it goes against our nature, do read the instructions :)

My Daughter is treating a couple of people with the condition currently

Unfortunately Physiotherapy isn't that effective and in severe cases pain management is the best alternative or eventually surgery.

My son was diagnosed with severe scoliosis at the age of 15. Quite rare as it mainly (99%) affects girls. Anyway I digress. He had the operation to straighten his spine by insertion of titanium rods (called Harrison rods I believe) which was a complete success. He is now 25 and they only restriction is that he was advised not to parachute.

My son was diagnosed with severe scoliosis at the age of 15. Quite rare as it mainly (99%) affects girls. Anyway I digress. He had the operation to straighten his spine by insertion of titanium rods (called Harrison rods I believe) which was a complete success. He is now 25 and they only restriction is that he was advised not to parachute.

very glad to hear your son is doing so well, you can assure him that life is fine without parachuting, Iv'e managed to avoid it all my life and im very old and quite content :yes:

hello, there is nothing worse than constant pain from different aspects of the body be it arthritis/ osteoporosis/ bone conditions. muscle inflammation, due to an accident in the early 1980s the bottom of my spine was damaged now diagnosed with osteoarthritis, all i am told now is keep taking the tablets. i tried a tens machine but i also purchased this a floor standing, TDP INFRARED HEAT LAMP interesting how it was invented and worked better than expected. a friend borrow with an old rugby wound and he found good. but like most things only has limited pain relief.

hello, there is nothing worse than constant pain from different aspects of the body be it arthritis/ osteoporosis/ bone conditions. muscle inflammation, due to an accident in the early 1980s the bottom of my spine was damaged now diagnosed with osteoarthritis, all i am told now is keep taking the tablets. i tried a tens machine but i also purchased this a floor standing, TDP INFRARED HEAT LAMP interesting how it was invented and worked better than expected. a friend borrow with an old rugby wound and he found good. but like most things only has limited pain relief.

+1

I suffered severe lower spinal, pelvic and upper body injuries a decade ago and have been in constant pain ever since which is very tiring. I also have osteoarthritis of the spine and right hip. I've found rather than rely on pills, which I do still have to take intermittently, stretching and suppleness exercises which concentrate on core muscle strengthening have had a more beneficial effect, if done regularly, than all the opiates, anti inflamatories and muscle relaxants combined. However, I'm fighting a losing battle and am gradually losing the feeling in my left side below the waist due to the repeated nerve damage from a trapped sciatic L5 nerve. Due to the nature and location of my injuries, surgery has been deemed too risky unless as a last resort. Fingers crossed but hey, I can get out and shoot still.

I personally found TENS only ever gives temporary relief as it cannot act on the root causes of these problems and often only has a limited localised effect. Some TENS machines are pure torture instruments! Lat time I used mine, I got the strength and mode settings wrong and spent a few moments leaping around the kitchen feeling like my lower back was being stabbed by angry hornets until I eventually found the "off" button. It's sat in a drawer since.

+1

I suffered severe lower spinal, pelvic and upper body injuries a decade ago and have been in constant pain ever since which is very tiring. I also have osteoarthritis of the spine and right hip. I've found rather than rely on pills, which I do still have to take intermittently, stretching and suppleness exercises which concentrate on core muscle strengthening have had a more beneficial effect, if done regularly, than all the opiates, anti inflamatories and muscle relaxants combined. However, I'm fighting a losing battle and am gradually losing the feeling in my left side below the waist due to the repeated nerve damage from a trapped sciatic L5 nerve. Due to the nature and location of my injuries, surgery has been deemed too risky unless as a last resort. Fingers crossed but hey, I can get out and shoot still.

I personally found TENS only ever gives temporary relief as it cannot act on the root causes of these problems and often only has a limited localised effect. Some TENS machines are pure torture instruments! Lat time I used mine, I got the strength and mode settings wrong and spent a few moments leaping around the kitchen feeling like my lower back was being stabbed by angry hornets until I eventually found the "off" button. It's sat in a drawer since.

hello, life can be very cruel sometimes but hey just like you i get out as often as possible be it a bit of fishing/ shooting/ being on the farm/s walking by the river where i live or just being out in the country side. the day i cannot do will be my end :rolleyes:

Richard 111 the last Plantagenet King of England and the last reigning monarch to die on the battle field was notoriously unearthed from his final resting place under a Leicester car park. He was also famous in his life time for suffering from scoliosis which is a painful condition resulting from curvature of the spine. This, in part, was how the body dug up in Leicester was identified as the man himself. When he was a youth he fathered two illegitimate children, at least two that were acknowledged. There may have been more, my wife's ancestors may have been one of them for she has inherited scoliosis from someone along the line.

Yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to the pain she suffers I splashed out the considerable sum of £25 on a TENS machine. In the usual way that men take out a new electrical items and never read the instructions I set the thing up and placed two electrodes on my neck and set the thing off. Never have I felt such a sensation and I had to reach quickly for the stop button and turn it off. Only when reading the leaflet later could I see that there are designated places for the electrodes to be placed and where I put them was not listed. I am still vibrating this morning.

hello, let us know how the TENS machine goes JD

???? ???? as above

Sorry I missed your earlier post.

The TENS machine is for my wife and she has so far refused to use it even though it was her idea to get it. At the moment she would rather use Cocodamol (or whatever they are called). However there is some progress as she has just started pilates to increase her core strength.

As for my use of the thing, I am afraid to use it in my lower regions in case I get addicted.

Sorry I missed your earlier post.

The TENS machine is for my wife and she has so far refused to use it even though it was her idea to get it. At the moment she would rather use Cocodamol (or whatever they are called). However there is some progress as she has just started pilates to increase her core strength.

As for my use of the thing, I am afraid to use it in my lower regions in case I get addicted.

hello, no problem JD, yes you mention for your wife to use and i am sure it would of helped, lets hope the pilates will be beneficial. the tablet i often take in high strength. best of luck