HEARING PROTECTION

webber

I have just been reading a post made by dead-eye-**** under the pigeon bags heading.

I find it hard to believe that given the knowledge that we now have, that shooters still shoot without protection.

My hearing is wrecked, not by shooting, but from working in a glass works where the noise level was frequently 147Db. The work was very loud, very dirty and very hot, we were paid well; but not well enough!

We would use ear plugs and ear muffs together, but some times it felt as if your brain was rattling around inside your skull. I dont know if that was the noise or vibration from machinery, either way it was sometimes painfull. No wonder the older fitters were not interested in the danger money jobs.

For my shooting I have tried varius types of plugs, but found all difficult to get along with. A couple of years ago I treated myself to a pair of the sound activated ear muffs by Deben. At the time they were a little over £90, I am aware that you can now buy similar products for much less, and that you can now get a similar product that is solar powered, which seems a good idea. I find these excellent as they have a slight amplifying effect, which sometimes enables me to hear the pigeon before I see them.

I have not tried the bespoke manufactured, in the ear, hearing aid type product and can not comment on this type of products effectiveness, but would be interested to learn as to their effectiveness from othe pigeon watchers.

The price of hearing protection can be as little as a few pence, or a couple of hundred quid, what ever you choose, your hearing is not replaceable at any price.

Please dont risk it.

webber

I agree 100% mate, even on a roost shoot or walked up day I wear ear defenders. When I was younger we'd shoot rats in a small room which chickens lived with shotguns, the bang and reverberations used to give me a headache for days. I probably have damaged my hearing a bit, but its still bloody good and I don't want to risk it any more. As you say webber you'd have to be a fool not to. Like a girlfriend you'll only realise how much she meant to you when you lose her!!!!!