ferreting

bumpy22

I was out today with a lad of here, took me years to finally get to this point! Only had one Good sized rabbit but it's a good start and had a lovely day outdoors, am on the lookout for a couple of ferrets for myself as we speak, arms are scratched up well! Fine way to spend a day

yes always enjoy starting early especially the nettles that have not died back. great to be out one is better than none good effort.

Have just been out a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.A bit of myxy about but not seeing a lot of live rabbits with it.Ferreted one doe last week that was full of young when gutted.Out tomorrow for a full day ferreting.

i have caught them in january down here full of young. this is the problem breeding all year round while its mild. means alot more spade work

If your a shooting man, ferrets must be an admission of defeat. :whistling:

Shooting is surely the first option.

I have a mate of mine only has to see a couple of rabbits and he is reaching for his ferret. :hmm:

anyone can pull a trigger angel wait till we get you upside down in a hawthorn hedge full of stinging nettles with a ferret hanging of your finger now that will be proper sport

I was out today with a lad of here, took me years to finally get to this point! Only had one Good sized rabbit but it's a good start and had a lovely day outdoors, am on the lookout for a couple of ferrets for myself as we speak, arms are scratched up well! Fine way to spend a day

It wasn't a bad way to spend a morning, we did see a couple more but they always seem to find the hole you forgot to net.

Will definately be out again in a week or 2 so hopefully get a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

Going this weekend with a mate who has around a dozen ferrets and works them wel,l but could do with some frosts, nettles havnt realy died down much yet plenty of rabbits about though some places do have mixi and others dont, cant beat a rabbit cooked in the slow cooker with a honey and mustard sauce either.

Going this weekend with a mate who has around a dozen ferrets and works them wel,l but could do with some frosts, nettles havnt realy died down much yet plenty of rabbits about though some places do have mixi and others dont, cant beat a rabbit cooked in the slow cooker with a honey and mustard sauce either.

look forward to hearing about your ferreting trip mate

Mmm, that honey & mustard sounds a nice combination! Any chance of publishing the recipe, please?

Mmm, that honey & mustard sounds a nice combination! Any chance of publishing the recipe, please?

Hi i cook the rabbit in a slow cooker 3/4 grown are best, and when rabbit is nearly cooked i glaze it with the sauce which is a table spoon of honey and mustard mixed and then alow to cook for a further 10 minutes, same as you would cook a belly of pork with a honey glaze realy.I no loads of people who wont eat rabbits for they fear every rabbit is diseased with myxy but you no a healthy rabbit as soon as its dispatched even more soon when a ferret bolts it to the gun,hope this helps try it you wont be disapoited.

first trip out was two weeks ago on a farm with a pheasant shoot so keeper only let's us do the parts of the permission at this time of year in the morning we netted up a hole field edge with nowt to show for our efforts (my little lakey used to mark for the ferrets but I had to have her p.t.s a few weeks ago so without her we net up every set )just before we had our bait we decided to have a go at a small plantation with lots of exposed roots dug up by the bunnies and plenty of holes to net, to many really so we netted the most likely ones and stood with our silenced 410 to take any bolters .Dropped the jill in and stood back got a bolt and back netted it and as I was sorting it out another hit a purse net so we at least had two before bait time. In the afternoon we had no luck until we got a glimpse of a few rabbits sitting out beside an overgrown fence line as it was getting late and we didn't fancy looking for or digging ferrets in the dark we only netted about a quarter of the fence line about 100 yds and 38 nets (I count the nets out so I don't leave any) used both jills and got results straight away ended up with eight more in about twenty minutes and the last one we had a little dig to get to it.Happy :) days but the nettles still have a bit of sting left in them :sad1: and as the farm is fifty miles from home we won't be back until Dec when hopefully the cover is down and the stingy nettles are gone. :yahoo:

first trip out was two weeks ago on a farm with a pheasant shoot so keeper only let's us do the parts of the permission at this time of year in the morning we netted up a hole field edge with nowt to show for our efforts (my little lakey used to mark for the ferrets but I had to have her p.t.s a few weeks ago so without her we net up every set )just before we had our bait we decided to have a go at a small plantation with lots of exposed roots dug up by the bunnies and plenty of holes to net, to many really so we netted the most likely ones and stood with our silenced 410 to take any bolters .Dropped the jill in and stood back got a bolt and back netted it and as I was sorting it out another hit a purse net so we at least had two before bait time. In the afternoon we had no luck until we got a glimpse of a few rabbits sitting out beside an overgrown fence line as it was getting late and we didn't fancy looking for or digging ferrets in the dark we only netted about a quarter of the fence line about 100 yds and 38 nets (I count the nets out so I don't leave any) used both jills and got results straight away ended up with eight more in about twenty minutes and the last one we had a little dig to get to it.Happy :) days but the nettles still have a bit of sting left in them :sad1: and as the farm is fifty miles from home we won't be back until Dec when hopefully the cover is down and the stingy nettles are gone. :yahoo:

sounds like a good day out mate. shame about terrier. i have a jrt and she is good in cover. bred from her this year and kept a bitch back who is nearly 6 months. might let her watch a bit after xmas. but she seems to have the lovely bark which needs some work. the other one never makes a sound untill she is right behind something.

• 2 weeks later...

had a good morning today in a small orchard/garden . took my 3 year old son for his first trip as he is getting on a bit now lol along with his 70 year old grandad. my terrier did some nice marks and we accounted for 6 nice clean rabbits. dug 3 and had the others in the long net. not the biggest bag but very enjoyable watching my dogs and ferrets work so well. just need to get my little lad on the spade now

Good effort Bumpy, Dan & i had to postpone this weekends outing due to family stuff. All eyes are on next weekend!! Growing colder now as well

yes mate definitely feels like ferreting weather. nettles did not feel quite so sharp and cover go back well now. some very sticky ground though dug a few 3 feet plus and were still wet. i think that was why they were reluctant to bolt

had a good morning today in a small orchard/garden . took my 3 year old son for his first trip as he is getting on a bit now lol along with his 70 year old grandad. my terrier did some nice marks and we accounted for 6 nice clean rabbits. dug 3 and had the others in the long net. not the biggest bag but very enjoyable watching my dogs and ferrets work so well. just need to get my little lad on the spade now

You done well not always about the numbers just good to get out and have a go, we are going on our first trip tomorrow now that we are getting frosts hopefuly vegetation will die down nettles are still up but we have so much ground to cover,will let you no how i get on..

You done well not always about the numbers just good to get out and have a go, we are going on our first trip tomorrow now that we are getting frosts hopefuly vegetation will die down nettles are still up but we have so much ground to cover,will let you no how i get on..

look forward to a report mate

look forward to a report mate

Hello mate we all had a good day today got 21 rabbits only had to dig 5 rest where got with the 28,s, vegetation still needs to die down though nettles are a pain in hedgerows all the rabbits where in tip top condition had 2 for myself, which will go in the slow cooker, rest going to the game dealers.