Out of town cod fishing vid

wisdom

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Jack Hargreaves was a great ambassador for country sports etc. and produced some excellent

programmes on all aspects of country life.

That cod fishing video was of him cod fishing off Ramsgate with Ron Edwards and Ron Edwards` son. Ron

Edwards owned and ran a fishing tackle shop in Herne Bay, Kent.

The shop still called Ron Edwards but Ron is long gone. However, Ron Edwards was also known locally as

the `Pouting Basher` as he won several local boat fishing competitions on weight by catching loads of

pouting, only to throw them back dead into the water after the weigh-in !

On one occasion at the weigh-in Ron had a good sized cod and when someone was about to pick the fish up

by the tail for weighing, Ron quickly grabbed the fish by the gills and was about to put it on the

scales, when surprise, surprise a load of pebbles came out of the cods mouth. The cheating old

rascal had loaded the fish with pebbles to increase its weight. I am sure that Jack would have

been appalled at such a practice.

Jack used to attend the Southern Television open boat fishing competitions often taking place off Herne Bay to officiate and hand out the prizes and on one occasion I was at the weigh-in with my young son &

daughter who were in awe of the great man having watched him religiously every Friday evening on

television. They were admiring the catch of mainly skate (thornback rays to be precise), when Jack came over taking time out from his duties to explain to my two how the thornback got its name etc. etc. It

made their day and proved what a great guy he was.

It is very sad that programmes such as Out of Town are no longer broadcast and as such would be viewed

as non PC today. Unfortunately, we are stuck with the likes of `Spring & Autumn Watch` and `Countryfile`

which are so remote from the actual workings of the countryside as to be farcical.

A good read for anyone interested is `The Gun Punt Adventure` written by Colin Willock which is the

story of him & Jack Hargreaves building a gunning punt and gun. I`m sure many on here have already readthis.

OB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...