Freezing pheasant in the feather

Dawsie

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on freezing pheasant still in feather and not gutted, also shot rabbits not gutted.

Someone I know (a chef) seems to think that it is fine.

I would have thought it too risky not knowing if some shot has penetrated the intestines tainted the meat.

Anyone tried this? how difficult/easy is it to pluck/skin once defrosted?

Cheers

Been freezing in the feather for thirty odd years or more, pheasants , partridge, pigeon, snipe, woodcock, ducks and I am still here to type this out. Just defrost and as soon as able feather and treat exactly as you would a fresh pheasant and cook it. Heh!? Is this better than hanging them for a week to soften up or not? I'm not a relative of Dracula so I always cook my meats thoroughly. Meat thermometer tells all.

Slightly different freezing subject ...fruit. A friend was taking some pears and plums from our orchard and said not too many as they could not use them. I said freeze. No they always go horrible brown then when cooked. She was allowing the fruit to defrost before cooking. Plum pie, put the frozen plums straight in the dish, pastry/crumble on top and in a hot oven. Same with all fruit and it comes out like you just picked it off the tree.

Never froze rabbit, but see no difference. You are just suspending the deterioration of the animal/bird. A plus also is that after cooking, if you have excess you can re freeze that cooked item for future use.

Edited by Walker570

If you cook it properly then I see no problems at all. I have just made a game pie with frozen pheasants and pigeons and smoked bacon for todays shoot and I don't believe there will be any left after elevensies. I just let them defrost, took the breast meats out (wopping big pigeons !!!!) ground themand the bacon together, seasoned and baked in a hot water pastry crust same as a pork pie. Have you guys seen some seriously fat pigeons this season ?

• 3 weeks later...