Union Men/Women

Davyo

Sat and watched two union officials today checking 1st aid boxes at work.One pulling stuff out and putting it back,the other ticking stuff on a check list.Are unions now just full of skivers?Have they just joined the union as a avenue to skive? Why does it take two men 20 minutes to check a few plasters? Wy have i got a pile of work on my desk for 10 people and only me doing it?

All the union reps I have had,have kept jobs when they should have gone down the road and are useless, selfish and a burden on the rest of the workforce.

You don't work at Shell do you bud lol,lol

Every Union person I have ever met, is a lazy work shy *****,

Any excuse not to work and they are on to it in a flash

Flynny

My grandad was a strong believer in unions but he was also convinced it worked both ways.

Unions have destroyed many companies in my opinion.

H&S has also . Common sense is what we should be looking into ;)

your the main reason there's h&s in the work place.....talk about accident prone.

Anyone daft enough to think we can do without H&S in this country don,t and have not worked in Construction or Oil & Gas, Petrochem or Heavy Industry. Even with Health and Safety lots of companies try and succeed in flouting the laws until something happens,usually a person gets hurt. Profits come first and foremost.

Union Reps at work can make all the difference so long as they stay out of managements pocket.

Proper Union agreements when signed up to protect the worker and the company.

probelems occur when the likes of the two H&S reps at Davyo's work place milk it.

Edited by figgy

If it was not for the Unions we or the pore folk would still be working for peanuts.

Whilst this MAY be true, the case is they have evolved to not look after the working man, but themselves. They appear to want to rule the world above the elected representatives.

On the two occasions they involved themselves in industries where I was working it resulted for lower wages for those who were prepared to make an effort whilst the skivers and free wheelers who involved them did well.

Come down to South Wales and spend a day looking round the cemeteries at the graves of all the men who died in their 40s and 50s and you might think again about the value of H&S in the work place.

Most of them coughed themselves to death on the dust and sulphur fumes

I'm not denying a lot of it is needed but some stuff is pure silly.

If you spill something or if the floors dirty , clean it up. Simples

I also believe in machines stopping in time etc but my mate has to fill an assessment before each hole he digs for the highway and this is with a shovel . He's digging 60 holes a day and using piles of paper.

I enforce dust masks and ear protection but it's common sense. We use hardwoods that damage your breathing but H&S says we are ok without in our shop.

I do believe some places take the Micky tho

seen reps snowed under by complaints trumped up by lads who think they have more rights than they actually have and reps who put managers right when they think they can get away with murder .and yes plenty that are in it for themselves but overall the working man/woman would be badly off with out them.ONLY MY OPINION .

Like in all walks of life there are good and bad union reps, but remember the members voted them in! So the members can vote them out! If they are workshy, selfish, skiving wasters as you say? Don't sit there whinging, when elections come around campaign in the workplace to vote em out and then stand yourself.........remember they are the workers elected representatives, you vote em in, so "back em up" at all times, because if you don't you'll get the representation you deserve!

If it was not for the honesty, guts and selfless determination of individuals who made up unions in the past we would probably still be working in sweatshops for a tanner an hour, no holiday pay, no sick pay etc.

Like in all walks of life there are good and bad union reps, but remember the members voted them in! So the members can vote them out! If they are workshy, selfish, skiving wasters as you say? Don't sit there whinging, when elections come around campaign in the workplace to vote em out and then stand yourself.........remember they are the workers elected representatives, you vote em in, so "back em up" at all times, because if you don't you'll get the representation you deserve!

If it was not for the honesty, guts and selfless determination of individuals who made up unions in the past we would probably still be working in sweatshops for a tanner an hour, no holiday pay, no sick pay etc.

I don't have a vote as not a member of the Union

Agreed, and this is where i think it's all gone wrong. At the start of the 20th century miners had diabolical working conditions, no pithead baths etc and were badly paid for a dirty and dangerous job. The unions worked for their members to get decent pay rises and working conditions.

From the 1960s onwards it went mad. At one point, Scargill was demanding a 45% rise. No wonder inflation escalated out of control.

Having worked for a Japanese corporation, the difference in worker/management relationships was amazing.