Foxy on driven day

dob

On a driven day there are beaters, countless dogs ,children,other guns ,pickers up and their dogs so would you lot consider it safe to shoot foxes on a driven day?

I personally think no foxes or ground game/ vermin should be shot because of the safety issues.

Could you please give me your thoughts on this ,every driven day I have ever shot on around the country and in Scotland have had a no ground game policy including foxes.

Thoughts please gents!

Depends on the shoot; some specifically forbid any ground game including foxes, others don't.

Personally I think I've seen more foxes shot on driven days than even when out lamping. We always shoot them if it's safe to do so. It only takes an instance if you know your land, to decide whether it's safe or not. Of course the old adage still stands; if in doubt, don't.

i had very fortunately been given a gun on a 200 bird day lucky me and on pre shoot debrief no ground game whatso ever nofoxes onthis shoot keeper makes sure of that. had brilliant day last drive i was awalking flanking gun when flag man ran over to me and said two foxes coming down edge of cover crop .shoot them he said .what about breifing this morning he called on radio to keeper shoot the f----- things yor are safe onth flank out there bang bang keepers best buddy at end of drive.but i agree i have fox red labs and shoots i work on guns briefring no ground game no foxes and we have fox red labs on shoot

On every driven shoot I've been on it's no ground game except foxes if it's safe. The last two shoots I've been on I heard over the radio there's a fox seen by the beaters, it's usually communicated up and down the pegs so everyone's aware.

This what happens on our shoot

No Fox to be shot where i beat if one has been seen then the keeper gives me the nod and i return with NV hopefully no Fox on next shoot day every shot is safe when taken untill you have that accident then it becomes well he should have not taken that shot

surely that's goes for every shot no matter where or what your shooting .

Absolute NO NO on most of the shoots I've been involved with in the past.. safety issues paramount...

Saying that one shoot did allow the flank guns to shoot fox but only out side the line...we had one old vixen used to appear on many a shoot and she just used to wander through the guns ( and dogs ) almost as if she knew. !!

The Private syndicate can set their own rules however and as long as everyone is well briefed and experienced at shooting fox with a shotgun that's fine.

Personally I would stick to Avian game.

Edited by Adge Cutler

Never been on or heard of a formal driven shoot permitting the shooting of ground game or foxes. Certainly on my shoot it is completely forbidden and this is mentioned in the morning briefing to guns.

Far too dangerous to let guns, particularly guests and clients too fire in any direction other than sky!

Everone is saying if safe to do so what is safe to one shooter mabe not be so safe to anouther you only want a stray dog or even worse a child or beater laging behind. with a shotgun its mostly snap shooting if charlie breaks cover and the shooter gets excited then that safe shot is not so safe as a rifle shooter we look for backstop first then is there any thing else between your target and backstop when you have pulled that triger bullet only knows one way

We're all adults, whom have to make the decision as to what is and what isn't a safe shot each and every time we go out.

It is pointless trying to gauge what is and what isn't a safe shot on a forum; the shot will be taken out there in the field.

I have been on countless fox and hare drives, and ditto for bolting bunnies, and have seen I don't know how many foxes killed on driven days around here. Each venue dictates the ground rules and that's how it should be. Each to their own.

We're all adults, whom have to make the decision as to what is and what isn't a safe shot each and every time we go out.

It is pointless trying to gauge what is and what isn't a safe shot on a forum; the shot will be taken out there in the field.

I have been on countless fox and hare drives, and ditto for bolting bunnies, and have seen I don't know how many foxes killed on driven days around here. Each venue dictates the ground rules and that's how it should be. Each to their own.

And that sums it up nicely.

I was involved with a shoot that had a no ground game policy including fox, but if one broke cover the keeper/captain shouted to certain guns to shoot it. This was only on certain drives where the shot was 100% safe and all involved with the shoot could be seen. I've never shot a fox on a driven day and probably won't especially if I'm a guest.

The thread that this post is probably about. The chap that I think shot the fox is the keepers son and knows the ground very well, both in daylight and through a night vision

Edited by shoot and be safe

If there is no ground game stated in the briefing then surely this is for safety reasons. So why would someone be deemed as being able to take a "safe" shot at a fox but not be able to take a "safe" shot at other ground game/vermin?? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Edit: Simillar to saying you can shoot Pheasant but not Partridge, for safety reasons.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Guest cookoff013

my first driven shoot was "no ground game, whatso ever".

then when i was at the start or last peg, i was told only shoot foxy in that direction. i`m glad i never had a chance. i wouldnt have shot it anyway.