Miroku

dbob

dbob, the differences to remember... 525/MK38 GD5

Stock dimensions / weight / vented barrel / wood / engraving / Price ( for good reason)

Yet lots of people say they are the same gun

Get yourself to a dealer at a ground where you can try them back to back.

And then choose the better gun..............................

......................................the MIROKU!

dbob, the differences to remember... 525/MK38 GD5

Stock dimensions / weight / vented barrel / wood / engraving / Price ( for good reason)

Yet lots of people say they are the same gun

Get yourself to a dealer at a ground where you can try them back to back.

I already have a 525 and been pretty happy with how it fits, but I guess i'm trying to justify spending over £1k to upgrade. The Miroku definitely looks nicer than my Browning, but as you say I need to try one out to see how it feels. I did try a couple of Beretta's a few weeks back, but as nice as they looked i don't think they fitted as well. I have a longish neck and the guy told me that Brownings fit me better.

I already have a 525 and been pretty happy with how it fits, but I guess i'm trying to justify spending over £1k to upgrade. The Miroku definitely looks nicer than my Browning, but as you say I need to try one out to see how it feels. I did try a couple of Beretta's a few weeks back, but as nice as they looked i don't think they fitted as well. I have a longish neck and the guy told me that Brownings fit me better.

As a general rule, Browning stocks do tend to be a tad higher than the Miroku. Which is why so many older Miroku Trap guns have been 'got at' to convert them to Sporters. I can not recall seeing any converted Japanese Brownings though. Buy the 725 and by the time you have had a file to it to remove all the rust, it will be a pound lighter ! :rolleyes:

The MK38 is a superb gun, I have had 2 grade 5's and put thousands of cartridges through both, if you have a long neck ,just get the trap version . Big but, they will still rust if you don't look after them. ie a full clean after every outing,They rust in the boot on the way home even on a dry day. from Auntie.

Never had an issue with rust,it`s just a case of looking after your guns properly or otherwise ! If I`m going a distance ,they travel in a motor case complete with cleaning gear.The Victorians thought that one up ,so it seems strange that people can`t figure it out now !

Sorry Will,

I owe you an apology. I took the wood off the action of my 725, then cleaned all traces of oil and grease from it, I then left it in the middle of the rear lawn on Monday. Having checked it today, I can see some faint traces of rust starting on the inside of the action. So, you were right, the 725 is a rust bucket................... CONFIRMED. :whistling:

BTW I keep a can of that Napier spray in the boot of the car, and pray guns around in/out, give a quick wipe before putting them into the slip/motor case and drive home. Quite handy really, it's hydrophobic so will separate any moisture before it trigger rusting, so you have time to do a proper clean later.

Can I be so bold as to suggest that you try a 725 Browning. I have used a Miroku in one form or another for more years than I care to remember. They were always a bit flatter shooting than the Browning range. However, I tried the new Blaser F16 last week and was bitterly disappointed with the gun. This prompted me to try a 725, grade 3, with adjustable comb. I hit everything with it, so I bought it there and then. Apart from some of the early B25's it has to be the nicest Browning that I have ever used. I collected it yesterday and shot it today, only dropping 9 out of a 54 birder at the local sporting shoot today. My shooting mate has the 525 also with adjustable comb and I have never really liked it. He was not shooting too well today, but he used the 725 on 1 stand and straighted it. Even he conceded that it 'felt' better than the 525. The 725 trigger pulls are superb and there is little or no perceived recoil and the balance makes it feel a pound lighter than it's 8lbs 2 ozs.

As for the different Miroku models, the MK 38 was really a trap gun, but so many shooters bought it and 'sporterised' it, Miroku produced a 'Sporter' model with a couple of extended Teague chokes and a sporting stock and forend. The MK70 is a multi choked game/sporter and the MK60 is virtually the same gun with fixed chokes.

With your stated budget I would certainly look at the G3 725 and still have change for a couple of thousand cartridges. Good Luck with your quest !

Looks like a new version of the 725 Sporter has been released. Similar to the current 725 but with orange removed from the engraving. Also comes with the extended chokes from the Black Edition plus adjustable stock. Looks nice in grey but i'm not keen on adjustable stocks so probably would try the Black Ed.

The Browning B725 Sporter Grey is a short production run of the standard B725 Sporting but with a subtle grey filled engraving and a complete set of extended chokes. Browning featuring a mechanical trigger meaning that low recoiling cartridges can be used with a higher level of reliability. The B725 sporter has a grade 2.5 oil finished walnut stock and a large palm swell has been used for added stability when shooting. New Invector DS chokes have been developed for the B725 and A5 range of guns which are designed with a built in gas collar making them less likely to corrode in place.

http://rkstockcraft.co.uk/gun02473/Browning%20B725%20Sporter%20Grey%2012g

Certainly looks a lot more classy than the standard one with orange lettering.

I'm not sure how they get away with claiming that their tweaked version of an inertia trigger is 'mechanical'. It still has an inertia block to changeover the sear selector and according to numerous reports from America, still needs to be modified for low recoil shells despite not needing to be bumped when dry firing the 2nd barrel.

Certainly looks a lot more classy than the standard one with orange lettering.

I'm not sure how they get away with claiming that their tweaked version of an inertia trigger is 'mechanical'. It still has an inertia block to changeover the sear selector and according to numerous reports from America, still needs to be modified for low recoil shells despite not needing to be bumped when dry firing the 2nd barrel.

is it the same trigger as standard 725 and 725 Black Ed??

is it the same trigger as standard 725 and 725 Black Ed??

I can't imagine it's any different, although there are Mk 1 and Mk 2 triggers and what I said about the trigger being a modified inertia type applies to other 725s as well. I don't know why it's possible to dry fire both triggers without bumping the stock but there have been many complaints from American skeet shooters using gauge reducing tubes and having reset problems with small calibre low recoil shells. The triggers are absolutely not the conventional mechanical type, more a sort of hybrid system that still needs an inertia block to function.

The gun just seemed 'vague', I would hit a pair, miss a pair, but NOT know where or why I missed, this went on over 7 stands, 4 pairs on each. Overall, I hit around half, and I was glad to return it to the shop. That was a 32" model without any additional barrel weights and the stock weight adjusted to give a mid balance (between the hands or on the hinge pin). I then did the same stands using my Beretta 303 auto and dropped 4 birds ! The Blaser was not for me, I will stick with my sports jacket ! The following day I tried the Browning 725 (rust bucket model) I only shot around 20 clays with it, but dropped 2. No prizes for guessing which gun I now own ! I went out again today with my trusty , or should that be rusty 725 ? and shot around 70 assorted targets including skeet, I did not drop that many, considering the stock is a bit on the long side.

Yeah that's interesting mate. They arrived in Australia this week so I'll go and check one out. Thanks for your thoughts.